✟100,188.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Marvel Fans Roast The Company For Celebrating "Hispanic Latinx Heritage Month"

Another day another woke nonsense I wake up to. While it's not exactly new, I thought it died in 2020. Apparently not. Can the progressives stop with the replacement of letters in words.

How do you pronounce LatinX? If you tell me it is pronounce "Laa-tin-ek" then write it as Latin (space) X. But in Spanish the letter X (Equis) is pronounce with a hard KS sound. So LatinX is pronounce "Laa-tin KS". And according to pew research less than 4% of American Latin people even uses LatinX. Who is this for again besides the Twitter echo chambers?

Not too long ago it was womXn. What is the next gender neutralization is going to be? I'm betting it is human. Because there is a "man" behind "hu".

So hello fellow humXn! *inserts Steve Buscemi holding a skateboard*

I'm so ahead of the curve.... :doh:

• Haha
Reactions: anna ~ grace

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Another day another woke nonsense I wake up to. While it's not exactly new, I thought it died in 2020. Apparently not. Can the progressives stop with the replacement of letters in words.

How do you pronounce LatinX? If you tell me it is pronounce "Laa-tin-ek" then write it as Latin (space) X. But in Spanish the letter X (Equis) is pronounce with a hard KS sound. So LatinX is pronounce "Laa-tin KS". And according to pew research less than 4% of American Latin people even uses LatinX. Who is this for again besides the Twitter echo chambers?

Not too long ago it was womXn. What is the next gender neutralization is going to be? I'm betting it is human. Because there is a "man" behind "hu".

Latin is the gender-neutral term...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm very angry about what other people choose to call themselves because it doesn't hurt anyone, but I've been told I should be very angry about this so I am.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In this case, they certainly don't call themselves "Latinx."

There cannot be any doubt about this ridiculous, unpronounceable term having been foisted upon everyone by the same people who decided that they will be the speech police. Hopefully, it will die a quiet death like "womyn."

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Pronunciation is not a hard and fast rule, that's not how language works necessarily. I'd bet money English isn't your first language and this rambling is based on how you seem to want a comfortable set of rules for language where nothing changes, but that's not how reality works.

Appeal to paucity is fallacious reasoning, same as appeal to popularity. The small stats you can find doesn't discredit the idea anymore than large stats bringing credence in and of themselves

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Language is actually fluid and has always changed.
Though people try to rein it in as they see fit.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In this case, they certainly don't call themselves "Latinx."

There cannot be any doubt about this ridiculous, unpronounceable term having been foisted upon everyone by the same people who decided that they will be the speech police. Hopefully, it will die a quiet death like "womyn."
Oh because you can't pronounce it, there's no way to pronounce it. I smell privilege...

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm very angry about what other people choose to call themselves because it doesn't hurt anyone, but I've been told I should be very angry about this so I am.

-CryptoLutheran
Pst, not sure the sarcasm is going to be perceived by everyone, be careful

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh because you can't pronounce it, there's no way to pronounce it.
And you cannot pronounce it either. LatinX (or Latinx) does not lend itself to being pronounced as a simple word although it's supposed to be one. I guess the inventor meant for it to be something just seen in print.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
And you cannot pronounce it either. LatinX (or Latinx) does not lend itself to being pronounced as a simple word although it's supposed to be one. I guess the inventor meant for it to be something just seen in print.
I didn't claim perfect capacity on this, did I? This deflection is childish, if not also disappointingly common as a way to avoid personal responsibility to support your position

And that's a bad thing? I'd say Latinks, but I'm open to considering alternate pronunciations because language is not cut and dry like you seem to want it to be. Heaven forbid we have *gasp* loanwords!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I didn't claim perfect capacity on this, did I? This deflection is childish, if not also disappointingly common as a way to avoid personal responsibility to support your position

And that's a bad thing? I'd say Latinks, but I'm open to considering alternate pronunciations because language is not cut and dry like you seem to want it to be. Heaven forbid we have *gasp* loanwords!

Save all of that for something that's actually important and for someone who cares. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Pst, not sure the sarcasm is going to be perceived by everyone, be careful

I thought about wRiTiNg It LiKe ThIs, but concluded that'd be too over the top.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It wasn't part of Spanish when I was taking it, I'll tell you that.

It's just a woke term that was made up, and is embraced by the hard left.

Are there any terms that aren't made up? By definition all terminology is made up by people in order to give name to a thing or idea.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I thought about wRiTiNg It LiKe ThIs, but concluded that'd be too over the top.

-CryptoLutheran
I don't know what that typing style is, but I bet it has a name, like l33tspeak (or however it's spelled, I only really saw it in a webcomic back in the 2000s)

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Are there any terms that aren't made up? By definition all terminology is made up by people in order to give name to a thing or idea.

-CryptoLutheran
Careful, their head might explode if you explain loanwords to them

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By whom though?
There's a lot of Spanglish terms out there which aren't proper Spanish. Since it's not in the official Spanish dictionary (and Spanish is a regulated language, unlike English - it's regulated by the Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española), I have no reason to consider it to be proper Spanish.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in essentially a Latino working-class community. I've asked some Latinos how they pronounce "Latinx."

The younger ones--generation Z--have heard of it and pronounce it "Latin-Ex," but they don't incorporate it into their own spoken Spanish.

The older ones think it's just ignorant and arrogant for Anglos to try to fix a "problem" with their language that they don't believe they have.

Upvote 0