Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I was invited to attend a Latin Mass. Any tips for a Protestant attending the Latin Mass?

ex. Do they have a collection plate? :scratch:

Is there a point during the Mass when I should leave (like I've had to do in the Orthodox Churc)?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was invited to attend a Latin Mass. Any tips for a Protestant attending the Latin Mass?
I was advised to watch Shakespeare by just letting it wash over me instead of trying to focus on each detail. My advice for a Latin Mass would be the same.

ex. Do they have a collection plate? :scratch: Yes

Is there a point during the Mass when I should leave (like I've had to do in the Orthodox Churc)? No, just no receiving Communion.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Is there a point during the Mass when I should leave (like I've had to do in the Orthodox Churc)?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Is it church without a collection plate? ;)

The church might have missals there, but if you have a tablet or phone you can get a 1962 Latin to English Missal for low cost to free in various places and it makes the Mass much easier to follow. You can even read it beforehand to get an idea of the flow of the service. However, personally, I wouldn't get caught up in trying to keep up. Try to follow along but don't panic when you lose your place.
There is no point at which you have to leave, but of course, unless you're Catholic in a state of grace no Communion.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it church without a collection plate? ;)

The church might have missals there, but if you have a tablet or phone you can get a 1962 Latin to English Missal for low cost to free in various places and it makes the Mass much easier to follow. You can even read it beforehand to get an idea of the flow of the service. However, personally, I wouldn't get caught up in trying to keep up. Try to follow along but don't panic when you lose your place.
There is no point at which you have to leave, but of course, unless you're Catholic in a state of grace no Communion.
This. All of this.

Odds are you’ll get lost in the Mass. So rather than attempt to follow what’s being said, try to absorb the experience as you go and don’t worry about turning the page at the right time.

Feel welcome to come back and share your thoughts!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm jealous! I wish I could go to a Latin Mass.
I'm not one of those radtrad TLM-only types. I have no particular criticism of Novus Ordo.

But man, there's nothing in the world like the Latin Mass. It's wonderful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Just sit and soak it in. You don’t have to leave at anytime. They do pass the collection baskets.

My early years as a cradle Catholic where under the Latin Mass. I loved the incense and especially loved the high Mass. this Mass was sung in Lat8n and had all the incense and bells.

Mind you I was a young city Rat who often hooked Church but I loved the high mass.

Go and enjoy.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The church in a neighbouring suburb offers Latin Mass every Saturday, only 10 minute drive, it's a heavenly gift to me but I only attended it once or twice. What a pity! I am thinking of attending more often this year.

There is also a Latin Mass only parish which is 25 minute drive, I never went there.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The church in a neighbouring suburb offers Latin Mass every Saturday, only 10 minute drive, it's a heavenly gift to me but I only attended it once or twice. What a pity! I am thinking of attending more often this year.

There is also a Latin Mass only parish which is 25 minute drive, I never went there.

Luckyyyy!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Never been to one either. If one was offered close enough, I'd love to experience it.
I'm coming from the angle of spending all those years in the evangelical world. So the elegance, dignity and solemnity of the Latin Mass was manna from Heaven (in a different way than usual, I mean).

Some parishes will translate Novus Ordo back into Latin but, as you know, that's not the TLM. Something to be wary of though.

A few years ago, I attended my aunt's wedding (she's also a convert). Her pastor told me that he offers the TLM in his small town rural parish once a month. But on those Sundays, people come from three or even four towns over.

Anyway. You can request that your pastor begin offering it. It's not a guarantee that he'll do it (especially since rumor has it that the FSSP doesn't train anybody and everybody to do the TLM anymore like they used to) but he'll take it into consideration.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Is there a point during the Mass when I should leave (like I've had to do in the Orthodox Church)?

@ArmyMatt is this normal procedure in the church? I've never been asked to leave at any point during the liturgy in any of the two patriarchates I've been attending on a semi-regular basis (MP and EP).
To be frank I've never heard of this practice before...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Nor me - and I was used to attending Orthodox Liturgies for some years before I even thought of converting.

I would say that in our little Community we have a good number of visitors/inquirers/catechumens and all stay with us until the end of Liturgy

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Nor me - and I was used to attending Orthodox Liturgies for some years before I even thought of converting.

I would say that in our little Community we have a good number of visitors/inquirers/catechumens and all stay with us until the end of Liturgy

Yeah, I dont think it would be even possible to send people out during liturgy in our church as some of us are even singing in the church choir lol.

Upvote 0