Pacific Northwest
✟16,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Wanted a lightweight carbine for camping, hiking, and general outdoors work that was reliable, accurate, and had enough power to take care of wolves, cougars, moose, and bear.

Bought a AR-15 lower from Palmetto State Armory for $150, then an AR Stoner 16" upper in .450 Bushmaster for $399. I added some Magpul furniture, tac light, Dagger Defense reflex sight, and did my own custom camo job on it.

So far, it has been 100% reliable, weighs in at 8lbs, and will do an inch at 55yds. Very happy with it...

G4nTr-SLipG9xkF5XHUlOCUtcx3O4STrD41G3M2m25ApX92IB.jpg

Trey Veston

Dec 3, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟16,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Is that 8lbs with a full clip? Could you really stop a bear with that - does it use .556?

It is 8lbs with a full magazine and no light or spare magazine. It is chambered in .450 Bushmaster and not 5.56, so yes, it will stop a bear...

556-NATO-vs-450-bush-vs-45acp-vs-9mm.png

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is 8lbs with a full magazine and no light or spare magazine. It is chambered in .450 Bushmaster and not 5.56, so yes, it will stop a bear...

556-NATO-vs-450-bush-vs-45acp-vs-9mm.png

Ah, ok, yes I can see that would add a little more punch.

• Agree
Reactions: Trey Veston
Upvote 0

Trey Veston

Dec 3, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟16,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
And really, bears are the least of my concerns out here. I was camping with my dog this summer and discovered a wolf had come within 100yds of my camp and observed us setting up camp.

Even wolves aren't much of a concern, really. I just wanted something that was more capable than the 10mm Glock I normally carry.

I could probably spend the rest of my life hiking in the woods without any firearm and be fine. I just like to be prepared.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And really, bears are the least of my concerns out here. I was camping with my dog this summer and discovered a wolf had come within 100yds of my camp and observed us setting up camp.

Even wolves aren't much of a concern, really. I just wanted something that was more capable than the 10mm Glock I normally carry.

I could probably spend the rest of my life hiking in the woods without any firearm and be fine. I just like to be prepared.

Yeah, why not? We had a bear prowling around the farm at night on and off for a few weeks, which is pretty unusual, the last one in this area was 5 or 6 years ago. It couldn't get into the sheep pen - it tried pulling but for some reason not pushing which might have got it in, and the bars bent when it tried to climb in. It managed to rake a couple of sheep through the bars though. Lots of wild boar also but they are only really a problem with some crops. Toyed with the idea of getting a hunting rifle but not sure if it's worth it.

Upvote 0

Trey Veston

Dec 3, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟16,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Bears around here are hunted pretty heavily. Every one I've encountered has run off as soon as they are aware of me. Cougars and wolves are more bold, but they typically do not go after full-grown male humans. We had a bicyclist attacked and killed by a cougar a few months ago, but they were unarmed.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bears around here are hunted pretty heavily. Every one I've encountered has run off as soon as they are aware of me. Cougars and wolves are more bold, but they typically do not go after full-grown male humans. We had a bicyclist attacked and killed by a cougar a few months ago, but they were unarmed.

Like you say, best to be prepared. Moving the pen closer to the main farm solved the bear problem.

Upvote 0