Late-summer Arctic sea ice could disappear by 2040

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Late-summer Arctic sea ice could disappear by 2040
In just two decades the Arctic Ocean is likely to be ice-free during August and September, and by 2060 the Arctic Ocean will be ice-free throughout the summer months, according to a new systematic review.

“This will have far-reaching implications, well beyond the Arctic,” says Julienne Stroeve of University College London, UK. “The impact of this sea-ice loss on climate at lower latitudes and sea-level rise will be profound.” But the findings also indicate that Arctic sea-ice could be stabilised if we prevent global warming from overshooting 1.5 °C.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is why we (NOAA Marine Chart Division) have recently surveyed and published a new suite of nautical charts on the north shore of Alaska.

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the implications could be :...
Isa 24:19 The earth is violently broken, The earth is split open, The earth is shaken exceedingly.
Isa 24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, And shall totter like a hut; Its transgression shall be heavy upon it, And it will fall, and not rise again.

Could it cause the earth to lose it's tilt?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
the implications could be :...
Isa 24:19 The earth is violently broken, The earth is split open, The earth is shaken exceedingly.
Isa 24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, And shall totter like a hut; Its transgression shall be heavy upon it, And it will fall, and not rise again.

Could it cause the earth to lose it's tilt?

No
OB

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We of this house up top the mountain don't worry about it too much for we believe God has his hand on everything down here.

I think regarding global warming the temperature has only went up by a little less than 1% in the last 40 years?

And each year the Earth becomes 5 or 10% more green?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
We of this house up top the mountain don't worry about it too much for we believe God has his hand on everything down here.

I think regarding global warming the temperature has only went up by a little less than 1% in the last 40 years?

And each year the Earth becomes 5 or 10% more green?

M-Bob
I've never understood the logic of ignoring an increase in global temperature. What's the difference between water at 0°C and 1°C?

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've never understood the logic of ignoring an increase in global temperature. What's the difference between water at 0°C and 1°C?

I thought the United States was doing their part?

Leaders in this area?

One thing for sure the rest of the world is doing what they want to do and not too concerned about global warming.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What's the difference between water at 10 degree C and 11 degrees C or any other one degree difference aside from the melting and boiling points? If they are all not answered with the same answer as your question would be, then your example is the exception ( one of only two points in which a one degree difference actually is a big deal for water ) and not the rule( every other one degree difference in water temperature) therefore it is inapt and using it as an analogy to what is actually occurring, which would conform to the rule rather than the exception, is inept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the United States was doing their part?

Leaders in this area?

One thing for sure the rest of the world is doing what they want to do and not too concerned about global warming.

M-Bob

? Bob I am literally speechless.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's the difference between water at 10 degree C and 11 degrees C or any other one degree difference aside from the melting and boiling points? If they are all not answered with the same answer as your question would be, then your example is the exception ( one of only two points in which a one degree difference actually is a big deal for water ) and not the rule( every other one degree difference in water temperature) therefore it is inapt and using it as an analogy to what is actually occurring, which would conform to the rule rather than the exception, is inept.
What?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can I ask where you got this notion, Bob? The Paris accord wasn’t agreed on in Paris, Texas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can I ask where you got this notion, Bob? The Paris accord wasn’t agreed on in Paris, Texas.

The Paris Accord.
Trump was smart enough to drop out of that worthless get together that was going to make us pay a whole lot of money while they do their thing. Obama sucked up to them good riddance.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So I'm really curious what do you think about this gentleman's qualifications?
He doesn't seem to have been very effective in convincing scientists that his analysis is correct. Probably par for the course for someone who runs a PR firm pretending to do science.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He doesn't seem to have been very effective in convincing scientists that his analysis is correct. Probably par for the course for someone who runs a PR firm pretending to do science.

True he would simply be the expert in the field.

Seems many don't care about true facts anymore.

As Trump would say how sad.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I'm really curious what do you think about this gentleman's qualifications?

I’ll take a look. It’s more the idea that the rest of the world isn’t concerned about the issue, that simply isn’t true, particularly in Europe. Even China, although they are heavy coal users, are leaders in the development of sustainable power, with an eye to the future. Japan have fallen back on coal following their nuclear disaster, but that doesn’t mean they’re abandoning the idea of tackling climate change altogether.

Upvote 0