Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a twenty-something man who recently married a wonderful wife. We are both Christians, are known in the church and serve in various ministries together.

I have two questions that I'd like some of people's thoughts on. First, what are some Biblical groundings for why my wife should take my last name versus keeping hers? I know that traditionally that has happened but there are many reasons why she should keep her own last name. I am curious if there are any arguments for why it is wise/Biblical for a wife to take on her husband's last name.

Second, if we have kids in the future, what are the Biblical foundations for why they should have the husband's last name instead of a different last name or her last name?

FWIW, I would like it if she took my last name and if our kids also had my last name. However, that is often informed by tradition and I'd like to hear some thoughts as to any reasons why that should be so.

Reactions: Hazelelponi

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, what are some Biblical groundings for why my wife should take my last name versus keeping hers?
There is no biblical answer to that, since last names as we know them did not exist in the first century.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Second, if we have kids in the future, what are the Biblical foundations for why they should have the husband's last name instead of a different last name or her last name?
If you want a biblical last name convention, you would have it as “son [or daughter] of [your name].” Peter was known as “Simon son of Jonah.”

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the Bible marriage is the joining of two who become one flesh.

In Jewish marriage ceremonies (think parable of the 10 virgins) after the engagement is over the man came to get the woman and she left her home and her family and went with her new husband to his home for the marriage celebration and then they live in his or his families home from that day forward.

The leaving of the parents to be joined with the spouse is an emotional leaving, the physical leaving was usually on the woman's part, unless the husband was wealthy and then they lived in his home and not his parents home.

In Biblical times all Jews had Abraham as their "father" and their tribe was one of the 12 tribes of Israel.

When a woman married outside her tribe the children became of the tribe of the father, as tribal identity ran through the father's blood, although I don't think her tribal identity ever changed.

So if we see our last names as Biblical tribal identity, then your children would have your last name, but your wife might keep her own last name if its her preference.

I took my husband's name out of respect for him, and love for him. I left behind my former life, and joined wholly with my husband. But that's not mandatory I wouldn't imagine, just personal preference.

The children, however, are of the fathers tribal identity and would thus keep their father's last name (yours in this case), I think this concept is most Biblical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you want a biblical last name convention, you would have it as “son [or daughter] of [your name].” Peter was known as “Simon son of Jonah.”
Or possibly a place-name reference: Saul of Tarsus, Joseph of Arimathea.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or possibly a place-name reference: Saul of Tarsus, Joseph of Arimathea.
Those were never part of the name. They were used only to define which Saul or which Joseph they were talking about, especially if their fathers were not known to the people speaking.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
sccs--

This surname issue is related to the Bible but is mainly custom. If the adults want to have different surnames these days, it's not much of a deal. It is something of a deal, however.

The adult who chooses to depart from the custom is willing to put up with people asking questions, making incorrect assumptions, etc. But when we then turn to the children, what would the impact on their lives be if you did the same thing when naming them?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On the general question of whether spouses should change their names or keep their birth names when they marry: As has been already noted, surnames as used in American culture are a custom that postdate the Bible, so you are free to make a choice that reflects your own preferences.

I like the Spanish and Icelandic naming customs, though neither is my own culture. In Spanish culture, the children are <given name> <father's paternal surname> <mother's paternal surname>. In Icelandic culture, daughters are <given name> <father's name>dottir, and sons are <given name> <father's name>son. (Sometimes maternal names are used: <mother's name>dottir, <mother's name>son.) In both cultures, people keep their birth names when they marry.

In my family, my husband and I both kept our birth names. Our children have my surname as a middle name, and his as their last name.

I know some families in which both spouses hyphenated their names. I like the spirit of this, though the hyphenated names are going to increase in length if it continues down through the generations.

Things to consider are: 1) the convenience of the whole family having the same surname, and 2) the convenience of both spouses being able to keep their birth names through their whole lives, keeping continuity with their prior financial/legal history, professional/educational history, and so on. Weigh these two considerations as you see fit, and come to a decision that makes you both happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On the general question of whether spouses should change their names or keep their birth names when they marry: As has been already noted, surnames as used in American culture are a custom that postdate the Bible, so you are free to make a choice that reflects your own preferences.

I like the Spanish and Icelandic naming customs, though neither is my own culture. In Spanish culture, the children are <given name> <father's paternal surname> <mother's paternal surname>. In Icelandic culture, daughters are <given name> <father's name>dottir, and sons are <given name> <father's name>son. (Sometimes maternal names are used: <mother's name>dottir, <mother's name>son.) In both cultures, people keep their birth names when they marry.

In my family, my husband and I both kept our birth names. Our children have my surname as a middle name, and his as their last name.

I know some families in which both spouses hyphenated their names. I like the spirit of this, though the hyphenated names are going to increase in length if it continues down through the generations.

Things to consider are: 1) the convenience of the whole family having the same surname, and 2) the convenience of both spouses being able to keep their birth names through their whole lives, keeping continuity with their prior financial/legal history, professional/educational history, and so on. Weigh these two considerations as you see fit, and come to a decision that makes you both happy.

Here's a bunch about it.

The History Behind Maiden vs. Married Names

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some women who are successful in life when it comes to business, changing their last name makes things tricky. I personally am not for the wife keeping their last name. Maybe they could do something like "Jane <their last name> <your last name>". I've seen people do that and it seems like a good middle ground.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife kept her name, and I kept mine. That's how we both wanted it.
The kids have my name.

It has advantages. When my wife wants to be incognito, she can use my last name.
She doesn't show up in search engines that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums