✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lincoln.
Story of the passage of the 13th Amendment, and Lincoln's advocacy for it..
I thought it was disappointing for a Spielberg flick. Went in expecting a broad biography, which may be part of my disappointment. I also thought the scenes of congressional debate were boring. Just kinda slow.

On a positive note, I thought the casting of Alexander Stephens was good (Jackie Earle Haley: the recent Freddy Kreuger).

On a 10-point scale, I give Lincoln a 3..

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mac and Me. (1988)

This one was rightfully criticized for being an E.T. rip-off.. but it wasn't too bad. I like Tina Caspary (from Can't Buy Me Love) in it, and I appreciate it's late-8os nostalgia now.

On 10-point scale, I give it a 4.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
2001: A Space Odyssey. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's one of my favorite movies. I think I "get" what it's supposed to be about.

One of the ironies of the entire movie is that despite all the millions of years of evolution, and all the technological innovation, Bowman and Poole were essentially the same apes fighting over the same pond of muddy water. The only real difference was that they had developed more sophisticated tools of war that allowed them to kill more efficiently.

Another irony of the movie is that when creating HAL, the humans of 2001 were evidently trying to recreate themselves as a computer. They were a bit too successful, and transferred some of mankind's worst traits to HAL: the murderousness, the single-minded zeal to complete the mission. That's why Dave and Frank appear so emotionless in the movie. It's by design; the irony is that HAL is more humanlike than either of them, and when Dave disconnects HAL and strikes out on his own, he's reclaiming his own humanity - the superiority of man over machine.

The fact that HAL had such absolute control over the humans - "he" automated many of the Discovery's systems, he controlled the life support systems keeping the astronauts in stasis alive, etc - was machine over man.

Anyway, that's my interpretation of 2001.
Ringo

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2001: A Space Odyssey. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's one of my favorite movies. I think I "get" what it's supposed to be about.

One of the ironies of the entire movie is that despite all the millions of years of evolution, and all the technological innovation, Bowman and Poole were essentially the same apes fighting over the same pond of muddy water. The only real difference was that they had developed more sophisticated tools of war that allowed them to kill more efficiently.

Another irony of the movie is that when creating HAL, the humans of 2001 were evidently trying to recreate themselves as a computer. They were a bit too successful, and transferred some of mankind's worst traits to HAL: the murderousness, the single-minded zeal to complete the mission. That's why Dave and Frank appear so emotionless in the movie. It's by design; the irony is that HAL is more humanlike than either of them, and when Dave disconnects HAL and strikes out on his own, he's reclaiming his own humanity - the superiority of man over machine.

The fact that HAL had such absolute control over the humans - "he" automated many of the Discovery's systems, he controlled the life support systems keeping the astronauts in stasis alive, etc - was machine over man.

Anyway, that's my interpretation of 2001.
Ringo

First watched it back in 1968, watched it several times since. Watched it again maybe 3 years ago. Still very impressive, and I got all that as well the first time.

Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.