Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some nutritionists insist that eating a large variety of foods affords the best nutritional health while others recommend a more limited palate of foods. Who is right? Thoughts?

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Some nutritionists insist that eating a large variety of foods affords the best nutritional health while others recommend a more limited palate of foods. Who is right? Thoughts?

It all depends on what you eat. Generally speaking, eating a variety of foods increases the likelihood that you're getting access to a range of vitamins and nutrients. However, if your "variety" is a wide range of junk foods, then "variety" isn't doing much for you.

You're aim should be to eat a balanced diet.

OB

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TBH - I've no clue who's right anymore. One year the fad is this, another year it's something else, the following year it's discovered the first fad didn't work, but this new diet is what we need to be doing. Later on that goes by the wayside and someone concocts something altogether new - and sells it. And we buy it.

You know what? Do the obvious. We all know what's healthy for us and what isn't. Eat sensibly; eat only when hungry, and then only till just full. The rest will undoubtedly follow.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An author I put 100% stock in, says that we should have a large variety of foods over time, but that when we have a meal, each meal should consist of only 2-3 KINDS of foods. Different KINDS of foods require different enzymes to break them down and when we eat too many KINDS of food at on meal, we create a WAR in our stomach with all the different enzymes being required to break down all the different kinds of foods. She recommends not to mix FRUITS & VEGETABLES at one meal. My husband and I have our VEGETABLE meal for breakfast and our FRUIT meal for lunch. We eat only 2 meals a day....and have done this for 40 years. It's a WONDERFUL blessing :)

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An author I put 100% stock in, says that we should have a large variety of foods over time, but that when we have a meal, each meal should consist of only 2-3 KINDS of foods. Different KINDS of foods require different enzymes to break them down and when we eat too many KINDS of food at on meal, we create a WAR in our stomach with all the different enzymes being required to break down all the different kinds of foods. She recommends not to mix FRUITS & VEGETABLES at one meal. My husband and I have our VEGETABLE meal for breakfast and our FRUIT meal for lunch. We eat only 2 meals a day....and have done this for 40 years. It's a WONDERFUL blessing :)

JS: we should mostly eat seasonally. Its too easy with modern food supply to be eating tomatoes in winter, but pickled food and dried foods are better then. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant should be eaten in the summer.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
JS: we should mostly eat seasonally. Its too easy with modern food supply to be eating tomatoes in winter, but pickled food and dried foods are better then. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant should be eaten in the summer.

I know there's an argument about eating seasonal, 'local,' food to reduce the carbon emissions from transporting food.

I have never heard an argument that "pickled and dried foods are better then" (in winter). If you are trying to suggest that food eaten in season is more nutritious than eating non-seasonal food you might need to provide an authoritative source. It also smacks of an attitude based on a northern European (or northern American) view of seasonality.

Those of us who live in a semi-tropical region of the Southern Hemisphere may also have a different take on seasonality.

OB

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know there's an argument about eating seasonal, 'local,' food to reduce the carbon emissions from transporting food.

I have never heard an argument that "pickled and dried foods are better then" (in winter). If you are trying to suggest that food eaten in season is more nutritious than eating non-seasonal food you might need to provide an authoritative source. It also smacks of an attitude based on a northern European (or northern American) view of seasonality.

Those of us who live in a semi-tropical region of the Southern Hemisphere may also have a different take on seasonality.

OB

Occams Barber: You asked from whence came my data. It actually came from two sources the one you already named is one. The second is from studies into the epigenome. These are found in our cells and act as switches that turn on and off the genes or sometimes partway off or on. They are the source of all inherited diseases. Science is still puzzling all this out however because studying the “switches” within the genes is difficult.

JS:Still they have discovered that the triggers come from several areas: what you eat, whether you exercise and your levels of stress. A Nova episode on this topic gave one example. If famine strikes an area all female children born during the famine will suffer problems with inflammation later in life. Any young boys, toddlers, for example, living during that time will also suffer inflammation.

These effects can carry over to future generations, thus my problems and struggles within inflammatory bowel disease can be tied back to my grandmother going insane and eating only toast for three years. She carried my mom during this time and I inherited my condition from my mom who got her condition from her mom. Both our daughters suffer this as well.

Now to how this effects diet and why following in the footsteps of our ancestors diet is wise. Our present genome mixture is based on their actions back a hundred to two hundred years ago (three to four generations ago). So what do I know about my ancestors?

1. They ate seasonally, eating fresh foods in late spring, all summer and early fall.
2. They relied in winter on a wide variety of pickles which they ate out of a living vinegar (with its mother) eating one variety eat day. We since learned such vinegar can cure acid reflux.
3. They ate different greens at different times, dandelions in spring, mustard and lettuce in summer, cabbage, & lettuce in fall, kale in winter. They ate different squashes, summer in summer and all winter they ate winter squash. They ate roots in winter and in spring, brussel sprouts in fall.
4. They ate bread once a week on Shabbos or the L-rd’s day. They ate far more grains, long cooked and with dried fruits and nuts in a porridge.
5. They ate far less sugar: honey in the fall and winter and maple syrup in the spring and summer. Yet these two sugars were used rarely, often for holidays and fruit was their main sugar source otherwise.
6. They ate fresh during the growing season, and canned, dried, pickled and root cellar foods throughout the winter, and kale they harvested from under the snow. They ate flowers and far more wild foods than we do today
7. They ate fish year round and meat only for holidays usually. Sometimes they included dried meat in Shabbos cholent or Sunday stew.

These are the facts I drew from my own ancestral heritage but those coming from the southern hemisphere, the islands or orient or other different heritages would indeed have a different mix. Talking to your elders who might remember their past better might help you create a form of seasonal eating that would match your heritage better. Wild foods would likely differ as well.

In our case we lack the crocks, and most pickled foods I know are too sweet for me to make anyway. I add a living mother in a vinegar to my morning tea instead. We do freeze kale and brussel sprouts, we eat meat far less, fish weekly. Finding out I’m gluten intolerant has made making porridge a little harder. We do not have a root cellar or attic. So I working on all this going as far as I can. Sometimes getting healthy is a work in process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums