Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've had a new landline telephone since late summer. I've noticed that when I have the answering machine on, I get all kinds of scammer phone calls at all hours, all the time. I got so tired of getting 2am calls, so I've left it off going on 2 weeks now and no scammer calls. Is it coincidence? Could my landline phone company have the line tapped? Spy device somewhere in the machine itself?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a coincidence. The landline company does not know if you have a answering machine on the line, they only can see when the line rings to your home it is answered, they would not know if it is by a human or a machine.

However the more likely reality is that the scam machines/robots/people can tell when the line is answered by a machine or person, so they know the number is "good" and will keep calling it. If the line is not answered then their systems will note that it is not a "good" number, and stop calling it for a while.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a coincidence. The landline company does not know if you have a answering machine on the line, they only can see when the line rings to your home it is answered, they would not know if it is by a human or a machine.

However the more likely reality is that the scam machines/robots/people can tell when the line is answered by a machine or person, so they know the number is "good" and will keep calling it. If the line is not answered then their systems will note that it is not a "good" number, and stop calling it for a while.
Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We've had a new landline telephone since late summer. I've noticed that when I have the answering machine on, I get all kinds of scammer phone calls at all hours, all the time. I got so tired of getting 2am calls, so I've left it off going on 2 weeks now and no scammer calls. Is it coincidence? Could my landline phone company have the line tapped? Spy device somewhere in the machine itself?

No taps or spy devices. Many scam calls come in waves when new number lists are sold. You can see if your phone company has number blocking support. Every few months I get a surge of scam calls on my cell phone and since most of those calls are not authenticated, my phone displays them as Scam Likely. If your phone provider has a block list feature or a filter for unauthenticated calls, subscribe to that service.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums