Lance Walnau: What Trump said after the press left the Evangelical leaders' dinner

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump has before, stated that he thinks Christians are not too bright. He's trying to play us to keep political power.

His life is a moral cesspool. He's claimed that adultery is not a sin, and that he has no need to ask God for forgiveness. He supported abortion until he decided to be a republican and immediately got a change in hearth to match.

The religious right seems bent on telling Trump that his assessment of us was correct. He very clearly demonstrates his opposition to basic Christian values:

Trump is quite pious and his religious convictions run dangerously deep. But his piety is not a reflection of a Christian faith. His piety is formed by his understanding of what makes America a country like no other.

Trump proclaimed Jan. 20, the day of his inauguration, a “National Day of Patriotic Devotion.” Patriotic devotion? Christians are devoted to God, not to any nation. Trump defended his call for a day of patriotic devotion by drawing attention to his other claim — taken on faith — that there are no greater people than American citizens. Faith in Trump’s view, though, requires belief in those things for which we have insufficient evidence.

There is nothing, in Trump’s view, the American people cannot accomplish as long as we believe in ourselves and our country. But Christians do not believe in ourselves or our country. We believe in God, but we do more than believe in God. We worship God. Nothing else is to be worshiped.

Christians have a word to describe the worship of that which is not God: idolatry. Idolatry, of course, can be a quite impressive form of devotion. The only difficulty is idolaters usually end up killing someone for calling into question their “god.”

Trump’s inauguration address counts as a stunning example of idolatry. His statement — “At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America and through our loyalty to our country we will recover loyalty to each other” — is clearly a theological claim that offers a kind of salvation.

Christians believe that only God demands “total allegiance.” Otherwise we run the risk, as Trump exemplifies, of making an idol out of some human enterprise.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...religious-convictions/?utm_term=.e085cfe135b0

Sounds like the parable of the Tower of Babel, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Everyone knows Democrats want to run Trump out of office and stand against everything conservative and evangelical.

Yes everyone knows that. Such is why I'm at a loss to understand why so many Christians oppose Trump. Yes perhaps he hasn't been a saint in past life but is he standing for what really should be considered to most important thing for Christians.....that religious liberties would be maintained. I think he does support that but doubt the other party could care less about such things.

Sounds pretty apocalyptic to me. "You are one election from losing everything, Christian!" Well, we weathered the last 8 years which were certainly not Christian-friendly, and didn't "lose everything".

Yes it does sound apocalyptic. Maybe an overplay but maybe not entirely. He still seems more supportive of religious freedoms than the other party and that's good enough for me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes everyone knows that. Such is why I'm at a loss to understand why so many Christians oppose Trump. Yes perhaps he hasn't been a saint in past life but is he standing for what really should be considered to most important thing for Christians.....that religious liberties would be maintained. I think he does support that but doubt the other party could care less about such things.

Yes it does sound apocalyptic. Maybe an overplay but maybe not entirely. He still seems more supportive of religious freedoms than the other party and that's good enough for me.

i agree.

Especially with this:
Such is why I'm at a loss to understand why so many Christians oppose Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i agree.

Especially with this:
In mlm moo

I agree.
Also it just reminds me how Christians need to pray daily for President Trump and our country. This includes the military, law enforcement, school teachers ect...
Never cease in praying. Never.
We are living in perlious times .

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes everyone knows that.
...or they know that's not true. :wave:

Such is why I'm at a loss to understand why so many Christians oppose Trump.
Well...it could be his multiple adulteries, his constant lying, his putting kids in cages, his turning the swamp he swore to drain that he instead turned into a branch of the government, his attacking our allies while snuggling up to dictators, it could be his paying off inappropriate contentstars, it could be his tendency to play golf constantly after swearing he wouldn't, it could be his tendency to scream and cry every time he doesn't get his way. It could be his complete inability to do the job his voters got for him when clearly the majority of American voters wanted someone else. It could be the way he's led America from being the ally other countries could trust to now being the country no one can trust to keep it's word. It could be a couple of dozen other reasons that I wont list. But I think kiwimac summed it up best:
I oppose him because his behavior is appalling.

Yes perhaps he hasn't been a saint in past life
...two points come to mind:
1) the word "perhaps" is ludicrous, he hasn't,
and 2) putting it in the past tense is...naive at best. :sorry:

but is he standing for what really should be considered to most important thing for Christians.....that religious liberties would be maintained.
Well...as long as you "HAVE THE RIGHT SORT OF RELIGIOUS BELIEFS!!" (tm) he may sort of have your back. For a while. Because if you don't "HAVE THE RIGHT SORT OF RELIGIOUS BELIEFS!!" (tm) you can forget him "maintaining" any of their rights. :sorry:

I think he does support that
until he doesn't. :eek:

but doubt the other party could care less about such things. (snip)
...or they simply think any rights Christians have should be open to all religions just as all the restrictions should apply equally to all as well? Just a thought. ;)
tulc(drinking coffee and celebrating Labor day weekend!) :clap:

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I oppose him because his behavior is appalling.
No doubt. He really sticks his foot in his mouth and some of his behavior has been abominable.

He is for protecting religious liberty though, and that's something the Democrats oppose. So at least that is one positive.

We certainly had two flawed candidates, one of whom was going to be elected.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

Christians have had the same protections as everyone else has had for a long time. It's just that some Christian groups want more extended to them than groups they disagree with.
Like what? What is this "more extended to them"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Like what? What is this "more extended to them"?

It's like wanting Christianity established as a state religion with ten commandments in public buildings and so on. They don't realize that would open the door for all other religions to have the same privileges.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's like wanting Christianity established as a state religion with ten commandments in public buildings and so on. They don't realize that would open the door for all other religions to have the same privileges.
What? State religion? Where are you getting this?

The 10 commandments plaques are merely historical, and most have been in buildings for decades if not centuries.

Why remove them now? They no more establish a state religion now than they did when installed.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The 10 commandments plaques are merely historical, and most have been in buildings for decades if not centuries.

True also of Buddhist, Muslim, etc. writings. All historical.

Why remove them now?

Because if you give a favor to one religion, the Bill of Rights requires you do it for all of them. Your particular religion has no preferred status.

This is why Roy Whatsisname lost his job as Chief Justice. He ran head-on into the Constitution.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I thought it sounded like someone trying to scare Christians into supporting him and his agenda. :wave:
tulc(just a thought) :)

Precisely what he did.

He's playing a dangerous game and damaging Christian credibility in the U.S.

Upvote 0