Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
“As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24“And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

This passage from Isaiah contains both beautiful promises for Israel and her descendants and also dire warnings for God’s enemies. Jesus uses some of the same language about the undying worm when he speaks about hell.

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

This wasn’t’ just an occasional theme in Jesus’ teaching.
Matt 7: 13 Jesus said, “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt 25:1-13 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ “ ‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’ “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’ “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

Luke 13:22-30 Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’ “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.”

I could go on for several more pages of verses where Jesus talked about hell and judgment.

Amen.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If this phrase means "hell" then why didn't Jesus or Paul (or any of the disciples) ever teach that the Lake of Fire is a place of everlasting punishment in the afterlife? You'd expect that to be their main focus if that were the case - and we'd have that teaching recorded for us in the Scripture.....but I don't see it.

Jesus taught a great deal about Gehenna, more than any other person. Paul discusses it when it is necessary, but his aim in his epistles had other matters in mind when he wrote them.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Dear Timothy: If one could convince another of what only a personal encounter with the Living God can and will accomplish, it will surely crumble into dust and ashes!
Man thinks fear is necessary to promote their doctrines. Today's vision of hell is based on a 13th century painting for crying out loud. To admit all we need do is hate who we are and how we act would be to admit our institutions and governance (including within Christianity) are failures and irrelevant. So much for pride and vanity. So they divert attention away from our human shortcomings and play on fear and salvation, overlooking the salvation is from ourselves.

• Winner
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
There is coming a day that the door of grace will be closed by God Himself.
The Kingdom will always be available until the resurrection, and it's ways always up for allegiance over the will and ways of man.
God warns us to heed His warning.

'Tis best to do so while the door of grace is still open.

It is also written that God will not always strive with man.

The day of grace draws to a close.

It is written that we are to seek God while He still might be found.

There will come a day when He will not give heed to anyone who has not sought forgiveness while the door of grace was still open.

• Agree
Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

There will come a day when He will not give heed to anyone who has not sought forgiveness while the door of grace was still open.
That's what i said.

What is the sense of accepting the ways of the Kingdom over mankind's out of fear instead of understanding???

Stupid lazy clergy. Of course... they could not teach that which went against what they had built in man's image.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:

That's what i said.
Please elaborate on what you posted.

God closes His "ears" to the wicked's cries, when He judges them?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Who said that? I said...

"That's what i said.

What is the sense of accepting the ways of the Kingdom over mankind's out of fear instead of understanding???

Stupid lazy clergy. Of course... they could not teach that which went against what they had built in man's image."

• Agree
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Who said that? I said...

"That's what i said.

Stupid lazy clergy. Of course... they could not teach that which went against what they had built in man's image."
You posted that you posted the same as what i posted because that is what you meant. That is what i was saying.

That's why i asked you if that is what you meant, because it is what i posted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Believers are not ever in the lake of fire.

That is eternal judgement for those who rejected God's grace and forgiveness and hated God.
I never said believers were the LOF.
believers were the LOF?

How can believers be the LOF?

What does that even mean?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Again... to anyone... What is the sense of accepting the ways of the Kingdom over mankind's ways, out of fear instead of understanding??? Will those fit into the Kingdom if they have no concept of the chasm between the will of man and the will of God? Fear won't gain them entrance and there are no side or back doors to the fold.

• Winner
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
No, He just doesn't renew their license.
Tragic, isn't it, that some blindly go rolling towards their own judgement, partying along the way, and no one is warning them or they're not giving heed to the warning?

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Again... to anyone... What is the sense of accepting the ways of the Kingdom over mankind's ways, out of fear instead of understanding??? Will those fit into the Kingdom if they have no concept of the chasm between the will of man and the will of God? Fear won't gain them entrance and there are no side or back doors to the fold.

There SHOULD be fear.

A wrathful, holy God is to be avoided.

He gives grace and mercy.

To not heed the warning is foolish and destructive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and no one is warning them or they're not giving heed to the warning?
I really haven't seen much teaching by any church over the difference between the will of man and the will of God. Most don't know there are two choices yet they revel in the choices within the world of man itself.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
and no one is warning them or they're not giving heed to the warning?
I really haven't seen much teaching by any church over the difference between the will of man and the will of God. Most don't know there are two choices yet they revel in the choices withing the world of man itself.
Ummmmmmm...what has what you posted got to do with my post that you quoted?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There SHOULD be fear.

A wrathful, holy God is to be avoided.

He gives grace and mercy.

To not heed the warning is foolish and destructive.
When is the last time your heard clergy teaching fear saying we are our own worst enemy and must change. That our will is contrary to the will of God. That we sin because we do it our way instead of His. That Jesus gospel of the Kingdom is the only Gospel. Most time is spent of saying believe in God (ignoring what He says)

Upvote 0