Taylors
✟84,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Satan doesn't have a flesh body, which means he is a spirit.

Satan had (past tense at this point) a "celestial body", as opposed to our own type of "terrestrial body" (I Cor. 15:40). This "celestial" flesh of Satan's was capable of being turned into ashes by the fire of God in Ezekiel 28:18-19, after which Satan the "anointed cherub" would not exist anymore.

This difference between the type of "celestial" flesh which the angels had, compared to our human "terrestrial" flesh, is made apparent when the disobedient angels went after "OTHER flesh" in Jude 6-7.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Say what?
How can it be punishment without a conscious existence?
Failure to make the grade determines it's own reward which in this case is no reward. No eternal life. That is the punishment, and with no way around it, it is eternal. Quite simple but not very appealing to those humans who wish to use the threat of Dante's hell as a means of control over other humans.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Failure to make the grade determines it's own reward which in this case is no reward. No eternal life. That is the punishment, and with no way around it, it is eternal. Quite simple but not very appealing to those humans who wish to use the threat of Dante's hell as a means of control over other humans.
But for the fact that Dante wrote his book about hell in the 14th century.
…..Concerning only the existence of a Jewish belief in hell not the validity of the historical faith, beliefs and practices of the ancient Jews, three incontrovertible Jewish sources are quoted, below; the Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica and the Talmud.
…..According to these sources, among the יהודים/Yehudim/ιουδαιων/Youdaion/Jews in Israel, before and during the time of Jesus, there was a significant belief in a place of everlasting torment of the wicked and they called it both sheol and gehinnom, which are translated Hades and Gehenna, respectively, in both the 225 BC LXX and the NT.
…..There were different factions within Judaism; Sadducees, Pharisees, Essenes etc. and different beliefs about resurrection, hell etc. These differing beliefs do not alter or disprove anything in the following post.
[1] Jewish Encyclopedia, Gehenna
The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch … in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). … the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a);[“Soon” in this verse would be about 700 BC +/-]​
[Note: this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT any assumed/alleged bias of “modern” Christian translators. DA]
(I)n general …sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell(B.M. 83b).
But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]
… heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [שאול/Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch [x. 6, xci. 9, etal] also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment (x. 6, xci. 9, et al). "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according toIsa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b).
Link: Jewish Encyclopedia Online
Note, scripture references are highlighted in blue.
= = = = = = = = = =
[2] Encyclopedia Judaica:
Gehinnom (Heb. גֵּי בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּי בְנֵי הִנֹּם, גֵּיא בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּיא הִנֹּם; Gr. Γέεννα; "Valley of Ben-Hinnom, Valley of [the Son (s) of] Hinnom," Gehenna), a valley south of Jerusalem on one of the borders between the territories of Judah and Benjamin, between the Valley of *Rephaim and *En-Rogel (Josh. 15:8; 18:16). It is identified with Wadi er-Rababi.
…..During the time of the Monarchy, Gehinnom, at a place called Topheth, was the site of a cult which involved the burning of children (II Kings 23:10; Jer. 7:31; 32:35 et al.; ). Jeremiah repeatedly condemned this cult and predicted that on its account Topheth and the Valley of the Son of Hinnom would be called the Valley of the "Slaughter" (Jer. 19:5–6).
In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense.
Gehinnom
http://www.jevzajcg.me/enciklopedia/Encyclopaedia Judaica, v. 07 (Fey-Gor).pdf
= = = = = = = = = =
[3] Talmud -Tractate Rosh Hashanah Chapter 1.
The school of Hillel says: . . . but as for Minim, [i.e. followers of Jesus] informers and disbelievers, who deny the Torah, or Resurrection, or separate themselves from the congregation, or who inspire their fellowmen with dread of them, or who sin and cause others to sin, as did Jeroboam the son of Nebat and his followers, they all descend to Gehenna, and are judged there from generation to generation, as it is said [Isa. lxvi. 24]:
"And they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men who have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched." Even when Gehenna will be destroyed, they will not be consumed, as it is written[Psalms, xlix. 15]: "And their forms wasteth away in the nether world," which the sages comment upon to mean that their forms shall endure even when the grave is no more.
Concerning them Hannah says [I Sam. ii. 10]: "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces."
Link: Tract Rosh Hashana: Chapter I.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, if Sodom and Gommrah aren't still burning then the wicked don't burn forever, correct? Thus Eternal Conscious Torment isn't Biblical.
Wrong as usual!
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.​
The adjective "eternal" modifies "fire" NOT "suffering" or "vengeance." Nothing in this verse says anything about the duration of the the punishment of Sodom and Gomorrha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, if Sodom and Gommrah aren't still burning then the wicked don't burn forever, correct? Thus Eternal Conscious Torment isn't Biblical.
You got that right.

The restoration of Sodom and Gomorrah from "eternal" fire

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Zephaniah 2:9
Therefore, as surely as I live,”
declares the Lord Almighty,
the God of Israel,
“surely Moab will become like Sodom,
the Ammonites like Gomorrah—
a place of weeds and salt pits,
a wasteland forever.
The remnant of my people will plunder them;
the survivors of my nation will inherit their land.”

Ezekiel 16:53
“‘However, I will restore the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters and of Samaria and her daughters, and your fortunes along with them,

Reactions: Butch5
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For those who may be interested. Here is a link that shows what the concept of olam was
Hebrew Word Definition: Eternity | AHRC
Anonymous website, anonymous writer.
The word Olam occurs 414 times in the OT.
In the 1917 Jewish Publication Society OT translation
Olam is translated ever lasting 335 times
Olam is translated always 5 times.
Olam is translated eternal 1 times
Total: 341
I am certain that the native Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars who translated the 1917 JPS knew the meaning of "olam."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how many souls end up damned in eternal torments in the lake of fire, because they were deceived by universalism?

Universalism never needs taught, because if true, it will be true whether anyone knows about it or not, but if false, will cause many to de damned forever who bought into it.

And it’s false.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wonder how many souls end up damned in eternal torments in the lake of fire, because they were deceived by universalism?
Is God concerned about whether we follow the doctrines of man, or instead... reject the ways and will of man for His ways and will.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have asked repeatedly for any UR-ite to show me one verse, 2 or more would be better, where God, Himself, and/or Jesus, Himself says unequivocally that all mankind will be saved, no matter what, righteous and unrighteous alike, even after death or words to that effect.
If this doctrine is so important that so many UR-ites spend so much time on this and other forums day after day, month after month promoting Universal Reconciliation [UR] why have I never seen one verse where God or Jesus says anything about UR.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is God concerned about whether we follow the doctrines of man, or instead... reject the ways and will of man for His ways and will.
See my post immediately above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong as usual!
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.​
The adjective "eternal" modifies "fire" NOT "suffering" or "vengeance." Nothing in this verse says anything about the duration of the the punishment of Sodom and Gomorrha.
Exactly. The argument from most is that eternal fire means eternal torment. As we see that's not the case.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anonymous website, anonymous writer.
The word Olam occurs 414 times in the OT.
In the 1917 Jewish Publication Society OT translation
Olam is translated ever lasting 335 times
Olam is translated always 5 times.
Olam is translated eternal 1 times
Total: 341
I am certain that the native Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars who translated the 1917 JPS knew the meaning of "olam."

It's not anonymous. The address and the author are both listed. I can go and list a bunch of places where olam ends if you'd like. It's just like aion.

And thou shalt bring Aaron and his sons unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water.
13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.
14 And thou shalt bring his sons, and clothe them with coats:
15 And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations. (Exod. 40:12-15 KJV)

The word everlasting is translated from olam. Is the priesthood of Aaron an everlasting priesthood? Not according to Paul.

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (Heb. 7:11-12 KJV)

According to Paul the priesthood was changed, thus the priesthood of Aaron was not everlasting.

And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always.
21 In the tabernacle of the congregation without the vail, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel. (Exod. 27:20-21 KJV)

Is the Law of Moses still in effect? Not according to Paul.

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; (Eph. 2:13-15 KJV)

• Useful
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not anonymous. The address and the author are both listed. I can go and list a bunch of places where olam ends if you'd like. It's just like aion.
And thou shalt bring Aaron and his sons unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water.
13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.
14 And thou shalt bring his sons, and clothe them with coats:
15 And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations. (Exod. 40:12-15 KJV)
The word everlasting is translated from olam. Is the priesthood of Aaron an everlasting priesthood? Not according to Paul.
11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (Heb. 7:11-12 KJV)
According to Paul the priesthood was changed, thus the priesthood of Aaron was not everlasting.
And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always.
21 In the tabernacle of the congregation without the vail, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel. (Exod. 27:20-21 KJV)
Is the Law of Moses still in effect? Not according to Paul.
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; (Eph. 2:13-15 KJV)
I have dealing with foreign languages for many years. Started with German in '52, Greek '59, Vietnamese '68 et al. My wife is Korean I have been dealing with Korean since '82. Today I asked her what is the Korean word for diabetes, Dang kyo.
If I want to know the meaning of Hebrew words, for example. I consult Jewish sources.
In the 1917 Jewish Publication Society [JPS] translation of the OT “olam” is translated “for ever” 341 times. “everlasting” 67 times and “eternal” 12 times.
Eighteen examples of the Hebrew “olam” defined by being paralleled or juxtaposed with adjectives or phrases which show conclusively it means eternal.
[1]Exodus 3:15
(15) And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever,[עולם/olam] and this is my memorial unto all generations.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “unto all generations.” “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “unto all generations,”“eternal” does.
[2]Psalms 119:44
(44) So shall I keep thy law continually for ever [עולם/olam] and ever.[עד/ad]​
In this vs. “olam” and “ad” is paralleled with “continually.” “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “continually,” “eternal” does.
[3]Psalms 21:4
(4) He asked life of thee, and thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever [עולם/olam] and ever.[עד/ad]​
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “length of days”. “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “length of days, “eternal does.
[4]Psalms 45:17
(17) I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee [עולם/olam] and ever:[עד/ad]​
In this vs. “olam” and “ad’ ares paralleled with “all generations,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “all generations”, “eternal” does.
[5]Ezekiel 27:36
(36) The merchants among the people shall hiss at thee; thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt be any more. [עד־עולם/ad-olam]
[6]Ezekiel 28:19
(19) All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more. [עד־עולם/ad-olam]​
In these 2 vss. “olam” and ad are juxtaposed with “never shall be”, “age(s),” a finite period, is not the opposite of “never shall be,” “eternal” is.
[7]Psa 33:11
(11) The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, [ עולם] the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “to all generations,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “to all generations,” “eternal” does.
[8]Psa 146:10 The LORD shall reign for ever, [ עולם] even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the [8]LORD.​
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “to all generations,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “to all generations,” “eternal” does.
[9]Psa 37:28
(28) For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: [ עולם] but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the LORD.​
In this vs. “olam” is in apposition to “unto all generations,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “unto all generations,” “eternal” does.
[10]Ecc 3:14
(14) I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: [ עולם] nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.​
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “nothing can be added or taken away from it [God’s acts.]” “age(s),“ a finite period, does not equate to “nothing can be added or taken away from God acts,” “eternal” does.
[11]Isa 51:6
(6) Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, [ עולם] and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “shall not be abolished”, “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “shall not be abolished,” “eternal” does.
[12]Isa 51:8
(8) For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be for ever, [ עולם] and my salvation from generation to generation.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “generation to generation,”age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “generation to generation,” “eternal” does.
[13]Dan 4:34
(34) And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, [ עולם] whose dominion is an everlasting [ עולם] dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
In this vs. “olam,” twice, is paralleled with “from generation to generation,”age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “from generation to generation,” “eternal” does.
[14]Dan 4:3
(3) How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal [ עולם] kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “from generation to generation,”age(s),” does not equate to “from generation to generation,” “eternal” does.
[15]Dan 7:14
(14) He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting [ עולם] dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “will not pass away” and “never be destroyed,” “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “will not pass away, never be destroyed”, “eternal” does.
[16]Jer 23:40
(40) I will bring on you everlasting disgrace [ עולם] —everlasting shame [ עולם] that will not be forgotten."​
In this vs. “olam,” twice, is paralleled with “will not be forgotten,” “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “will not be forgotten,””eternal” does.
[17]Jer 50:5
(5) They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. They will come and bind themselves to the LORD in an everlasting [ עולם] covenant that will not be forgotten.
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “will not be forgotten,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “will not be forgotten,” ”eternal” does.
[18]Hab 1:12
(12) LORD, are you not from everlasting? [ עולם] My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, LORD, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.​
In this vs. “olam” is paralleled with “will never die,””age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “will never die,” ”eternal” does.
= = = = = = = = = =
Here are four examples of the Hebrew “ad” paralleled/juxtaposed with “will never die” which show conclusively that it means “eternal.”
[1]Psa 21:4
(4) He asked life of thee, and thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever and ever [עד/ad]​
In this vs. “ad” is paralleled with “length of days.” “age(s),” a finite period, does not equate to “length of days,” “eternal” does.
[2]Psa 119:44
(44) So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.[עד/ad]​
In this vs. “ad” is paralleled with “continually.” “age(s)” does not equate to “continually” “eternal” does.
Psa 45:17
[3](17) I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever.[עד/ad]​
In this vs. “ad” is paralleled with “in all generations.” “Age(s)” does not equate to “all generations”
Pro 12:19
[4](19) The lip of truth shall be established for ever: [עד/ad] but a lying tongue is but for a moment.​
In this vs. “ad” is juxtaposed with ”for a moment.” “Age(s)” is not opposite to “for a moment” “eternal” is.
What about the verses you mentioned? A figure of speech, hyperbole.
Paul also wrote this.
Galatians 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.​

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Universalism never needs taught, because if true, it will be true whether anyone knows about it or not, but if false, will cause many to de damned forever who bought into it.

And it’s false.
That's an argument from ignorance.

I'm more concerned about those who have joined the church out of fear of hell. Those whom the Lord may very well say, "I never knew you..."

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm more concerned about those who have joined the church out of fear of hell. Those whom the Lord may very well say, "I never knew you..."
Are we going to do this again? Read the meaning of olam then you'll see how it can fit the passages. Proper exegesis isn't ignoring half of the examples of a word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we going to do this again? Read the meaning of olam then you'll see how it can fit the passages. Proper exegesis isn't ignoring half of the examples of a word.
My argument wasn't with you. (reply was to Chad)
But please explain your reply if it fits. Thanks.

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are addressing me you might, but I doubt it, be qualified to criticize me when you have set your behind down and reviewed every occurrence of the word "olam" in the OT as I did.
The Bible is replete with figures of speech, see e.g. "Figures of Speech Used in the Bible" by E.W. Bullinger where he identified over 200 figures of speech in the Bible.
ETA: Do any of "half the examples", which I believe to be an over exaggeration, you refer to define "olam" by pairing or juxtaposing with other adjectives or phrases which define "olam" as being a period less than eternal as in the examples I gave?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My argument wasn't with you. (reply was to Chad)
But please explain your reply if it fits. Thanks.

Saint Steven said:

Sorry, that reply was supposed to be to Der Alte

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are addressing me you might, but I doubt it, be qualified to criticize me when you have set your behind down and reviewed every occurrence of the word "olam" in the OT as I did.
The Bible is replete with figures of speech, see e.g. "Figures of Speech Used in the Bible" by E.W. Bullinger where he identified over 200 figures of speech in the Bible.
ETA: Do any of "half the examples", which I believe to be an over exaggeration, you refer to define "olam" by pairing or juxtaposing with other adjectives or phrases which define "olam" as being a period less than eternal as in the examples I gave?
If there was only one passage that showed a
Olam as finite it would prove my point. As logic goes one negative can out way any number of positives. If someone claims all cars are red, all I need is one blue car to disprove that statement.

It's funny that you bring up figures of speech because that's what forever and ever is. As has been shown clearly neither olam nor aion mean eternal. As has been shown, your juxtaposing passages does not prove that olam or aion mean eternal. That was seen in Luke where Jesus is said to reign aion. That was juxtaposed with the Kingdom that shall not end. However, as has been shown from Scripture Jesus doesn't reign forever, thus showing, not only does aion not mean forever, but also that juxtaposing it with, shall not end, doesn't prove it means forever.

You can't simply ignore the passages that show olam as a finite period of time

• Agree
Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
The lake of fire, will be exactly when the Heavens and the earth will be dissolved with fire, which is God who is a consuming fire, this is when God takes His great power to Himself to reign, so Jesus Christ does reign for ever.

It is eternal destruction, because God makes all things new, and wherein is righteousness, and all that matters is, the wisdom of this world does not make it there, because only the merciful do, the ones who lay their lives down, and nobody can do these things unless they have the love of God in them, because they will stop once they start, they will not have only charity in the heart, which does all out of kindness, and is not self seeking. All that is not found written in the book of life has to go, that is why death and hell go into the fire, as they are not life, and anyone without the Spirit of Christ of life, cannot live on, when God's tabernacle is with men.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0