LAKE OF FIRE symbolizing 1st century JERUSALEM burning in Revelation?

Jerusalem burning symbolizing the Lake of Fire in Revelation?

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now for something completely different and perhaps a little off the wall, but here it goes.

Recently while studying more in depth about the great City in Revelation, and the fact that the smoke of Her is going up into the ages of ages, got me to thinking about the Lake of Fire.
Has anyone here thought about OC Jerusalem symbolizing the "gehenna' spoken of by Jesus in the Gospels

For now, I voted "other", tho I lean toward "yes" the more I study on "gehenna".

1st time "gehenna" is mentioned in Bible:

Matthew 5:22
but I -- I say to you, that every one who is angry<3710> at his brother without cause, shall be in danger of the judgment,
and whoever may say to his brother, RAKA!/Empty-fellow! shall be in danger of the Sanhedrin,
and whoever may say, moron/dull! shall be in danger of the gehenna<1067> of the fire
.<4442>

Revelation 18:
8 by this, in one day shall be arriving the blows of Her, death and sorrow and famine.
And in fire She shall be being burned, that strong Lord, the God, the one judging Her

9 “The kings of the land who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with Her will weep and lament for Her, when they see the smoke of Her burning,

18 “and cried out when they saw the smoke of Her burning, saying, ‘What is like this great City?'

Revelation 19:3

And a second-time they have declared "allelouia!
and the smoke of Her is ascending into the Ages of the Ages".

Last edited:

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The main things we need to know about the lake of fire:

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
(Revelation 20:10, 1984 NIV)

If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:15, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The main things we need to know about the lake of fire:

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
(Revelation 20:10, 1984 NIV)

If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:15, 1984 NIV)
Now that's a thought........

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can those who voted for option 3 please explain the reason for voting that? Thanks
'That is an absurb and ridiculous view'

Gehenna, #1067, is mentioned in conjunction with the destruction of Jerusalem in Matthew 23.........
That word is used 12 times, including only 1 time outside of the Gospels, James 3:6.

Matthew 23:
13 Woe to ye Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
That ye are going about the sea and the dry to make one proselyte, and whenever he may be becoming, ye are making him a son of geennhV<1067> twofold-more of ye-selves
33 "Serpents! produce of vipers! how? ye may be fleeing from the judging of the geennhV <1067>
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her. How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

38 See, your house is left to you desolate.

1067. geena gheh'-en-nah of Hebrew origin (1516 and 2011);
valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Gehenna is a small valley in Jerusalem. In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[1] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Jer. 7:31, 19:2-6).[2]

Rabbinical Judaism

In rabbinic literature and Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked.[3] This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible usually translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.............

The picture of Gehenna as the place of punishment or destruction of the wicked occurs frequently in the Mishnah in Kiddushin 4.14, Avot 1.5; 5.19, 20, Tosefta t. Bereshith 6.15, and Babylonian Talmud b.Rosh Hashanah 16b:7a; b. Bereshith 28b. Gehenna is considered a Purgatory-like place where the wicked go to suffer until they have atoned for their sins.
is stated that the maximum amount of time a sinner can spend in Gehenna is one year.
There are also four people who do not get a share in Olam Ha-Ba.[21] Those people are Doeg the Edomite, Ahitophel, Balaam, and Gehazi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0