Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Finished this series over the weekend, enjoyed it quite a bit.

It has a very Non Non Biyori feel to it, though with the focus on camping the episodes are not as episodic. The story is basically about one girl who likes to camp out, a few other girls who who start to get into camping too, and how they all meet and their friendship grows through this common interest.

This isn't hard-core Bear Grylls outdoor adventure stuff, but camping at camp grounds, making all kinds of food, and seeing spectacular views of Mount Fuji in the sunset and sunrises types of camping.

The only jarring element is that late in the season an older character, a teacher at the girl's school, is introduced whose main idea of having fun is getting stupidly drunk. I'm still not sure what this character is suppose to add to the story, because at least up to this point she'd mostly an annoyance, though mostly a harmless one.

The series name says it all: it's laid back, easy going, low drama, no big fights and no great dangers, lots of humor, some nice insights about camping and things related to it, and mostly just a nice and easy overall story. If that sounds like something you'd like, give this show a try.

Reactions: danbuter

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Still on my backlog, but I have heard good things. I think S2 is announced too.

As for the teacher character, Japan regards drunkenness in a different way, esp. in fiction. It's not necessarily just accepted, but the idea of it being a way to let off steam or such is part of how it's tolerated (police likely have to handle that, though I feel like societal pressures would even silence an angry drunk to a degree, but anime/manga doesn't always reflect reality), people generally not making bad decisions, it seems, just going home with a friend and sleeping it off after going on a bender (but not doing property damage or such)

And teachers in Japan probably are one of those groups that, along with salarymen and office workers, that drinking is probably a decent (not entirely healthy) method of catharsis and/or stress relief from a demanding and generally thankless job. Kind of like Kobayashi in Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, where she drinks primarily as a way to relax, as I recall (also S2 confirmed for that, yay!)

A bad character isn't one that has a trait you find annoying so much as one where that trait is the only defining aspect of them. Hulaing Babies had a character introduced late in the series that was drunken, but also had a sagely side in advising the leads about why they wanted to do hula, so it wasn't too bad: also she really only appeared in the last few episodes anyway

Reactions: Bramblewild
Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Still on my backlog, but I have heard good things. I think S2 is announced too.

As for the teacher character, Japan regards drunkenness in a different way, esp. in fiction. It's not necessarily just accepted, but the idea of it being a way to let off steam or such is part of how it's tolerated (police likely have to handle that, though I feel like societal pressures would even silence an angry drunk to a degree, but anime/manga doesn't always reflect reality), people generally not making bad decisions, it seems, just going home with a friend and sleeping it off after going on a bender (but not doing property damage or such)

And teachers in Japan probably are one of those groups that, along with salarymen and office workers, that drinking is probably a decent (not entirely healthy) method of catharsis and/or stress relief from a demanding and generally thankless job. Kind of like Kobayashi in Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, where she drinks primarily as a way to relax, as I recall (also S2 confirmed for that, yay!)

A bad character isn't one that has a trait you find annoying so much as one where that trait is the only defining aspect of them. Hulaing Babies had a character introduced late in the series that was drunken, but also had a sagely side in advising the leads about why they wanted to do hula, so it wasn't too bad: also she really only appeared in the last few episodes anyway

That's reasonable. At least up through this first season of the series, this character's drinking is pretty much what defines her. Maybe that will change in the second season, or has already in the source material for that series.

Upvote 0