• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Lack of Singles Ministry

Discussion in 'Mature Singles' started by NotUrAvgGuy, Feb 23, 2019.

1. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+4,441
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I didn't realize giving is that bad in the Catholic Church. It seems different in many Protestant denominations. The tithes given seem a lot higher. Maybe it's just our church.

Sorry for your hard times, same here.

2. seekingmuch

seekingmuch Active Member

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sorry for your hard times. :) Thanks.

It's not as high as you might think. 7-12% Tithe in any church.

"Tithing Rates
    Tithing remained stable in 2012, though at the lower end of the typical range. The research shows that 5% of adults qualify as having tithed—giving 10% or more of their annual income to a church or non-profit organizations. In 2009, before the financial crisis, tithing was 7%, then dipped to 4% in 2010 and 2011. (Note: Barna calculates this “tithing” rate based on total giving divided by household income, not by asking survey respondents to estimate percentages.) Among born again Christians, which includes both evangelicals and non-evangelicals, 12% tithed in 2012, which is on par with the average for the past decade."

https://www.barna.com/research/american-donor-trends/

3. Sir Robbins

Sir Robbins Looking for peanut butter

+218
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    US-Libertarian
    Many established churches grow and build huge buildings that cost $15 million to over $30 million dollars. I went to several of those churches. Their bills are extreme these days

4. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+4,803
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    My church has over 1500 attend each week their building. They have home meetings thru the week. But few people seem to be willing to open their home and invite people ... so most ministry needs to happen in a building where people are willing to go. .... I also wonder if ministers prefer things to happen in the church building because then they can control the message given more.
    I don't meet the requirements in my church to be involved in leadership. So I just attend and enjoy the message and the fellowship.

5. blessedintrovert

blessedintrovert New Member

+31
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I would not want to be in a single ministry, it would be to much of a dating service ministry.

6. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+4,803
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    So last Sunday was adult Singles ministry Sunday. We have two singles ministries in my church. 18-35 and 35up.
    About 1900 attend our church ever Sunday and 35% are single. So it ignore the single people in our church is to ignore a large group of people that Jesus died to save.

Its specifically stated the our dingles meetings are a dating service in the church. Tho if a couple meet and date they aren't going to be called out for it.

7. NotUrAvgGuy

NotUrAvgGuy Active Member

+136
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    While I am all for tithing, I sometimes feel like churches today all want big facilities and a ton of programs all of which require a lot of money. I have no idea what my church pays each staff member, but we have staff over ministries that seem rather small to me. Like a small group staff leader with 6 small groups. Maybe he does other things, but in many churches, an elder would oversee such a ministry. Most of the week the facilities sit empty.

8. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+4,803
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    There are a number of paid staff at my church but with 1900 coming each Sunday and I'm not sure of the total associated with the church these days one would need close to 20 paid I'd think.
    That said most of the people involved in the church volunteer their time.