Lack of finances=lack of faith?

Is not having money or having little money a sign of weak faith or no faith?

• No, money has no bearing on who you are as a Christian

• No, the poorer actually have a deeper faith than the rich

• Yes, weak faith.

• If you are a real Christian you cannot be poor.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think so. I believe that there is much Biblical evidence that the poor and lower-middle class are not lacking faith.

Yet I have seen Faith teachers and followers go so far as to say that if you don't have money, you don't have faith.
 :confused:

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Although I chose the first answer (money isn't a factor), I really believe that the last is the truth. I believe that as you grow as a Christian, you cannot be poor--that you realize your blessings and the gifts you have and how wonderful they are, and are amazed that you are provided for. And that your personal and spiritual qualities are enriched.

So I would say that a Christian cannot be poor--but I'm not really speaking about money, am I?

--tibac

Upvote 0
Wow!

It's so refreshing to be among Christians with common sense! I grew up within the Word of Faith heresy, and for many years really did believe that a person's spirituality could be measured by their bank account. I also very arrogantly believed that if a person's child wasn't healed it was because of a lack of faith, and a million other hideous things for which I needed to repent when I left.

It's sad to me to see how many people are wounded and disillusioned by the pernicious false teachings of the Word of Faithers. It's sweeping the 3rd World presently, offering false hope to millions of poor people and turning their eyes from the One True God and onto materialism. It's so sad. Right here in Kiev two of the biggest churches around are Word of Faith. :(

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by didaskalos

Technically, I am not "rich" by the world's definition... but I do have all needs met and have no worries about it.... so I suppose I am "rich".

Perhaps what you mean is that your not rich by the american standard. By the worlds standard, if you live above the poverty line, then your rich.

My wife comes from a family of 7 and they grew up on a income of about $200 a month. A lot of that had to go to school fee's and supplys. So I think she may have a little bit of an idea of what it is to be poor.

Her father was an health inspector, and he had chances to take bribes, but he would not. I am sure that had a impact on her growing up. As poor as they were, he would not take dishonest money.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by seebs
I would ask the people who believe that, if you have true faith, any request you make will be granted, to *PLEASE* ask for all the cancer victims in the world to be cured *right now*.

Thank you.

heehee seebs! hey why stop at cancer though? :D Shouldn't these people be able to travel through the world healing everyone of everything that ails them?

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I myself wonder why Benny Hinn, Rod Parsley, Ken Copeland, Paul Crouch, John Hagee (who along with Hinn has claimed to do resurrections) and all the others didn't go to the World Trade Center site, lift the buildings, and resurrect everyone inside.

:cry: :rolleyes:

They say they can move mountains and raise the dead: that would have been the perfect opportunity to prove their claims.

Yet not a one showed up to even try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't seen those that seemed to advocate that post a reply yet??

Maybe it is because as they have pointed out a zillion times, they do advocate such silly notions. Susan is just continuing her usual habit of throwing up a suggestion (in the form of a "poll") that has no basis in reality, assigning that false notion to some poor victim, and then imagining she has accomplished something when virtually everyone takes sides with her.
I have been in the faith movement over 25 years and have never heard anyone say these things.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote:"Maybe it is because as they have pointed out a zillion times, they do advocate such silly notions. Susan is just continuing her usual habit of throwing up a suggestion (in the form of a "poll") that has no basis in reality, assigning that false notion to some poor victim, and then imagining she has accomplished something when virtually everyone takes sides with her."

Hobs, you took the words right outta my mouth! *LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:6
    Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

There are teachers out there there mix truth in with error. Jesus warned people to watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees.

If someone were to cook up a pot of stew and they put only a little bit of poison in it, would you want to eat that stew? Of course not, because that little bit of poison would ruin the whole pot.

Matthew 16:12  Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
hobart schmedly:

Rather than simply scoff at the wrong-mindedness of the original question, why don't you try to answer it and other questions about what you beleive, if you believe that faith=whatever you want. I know that God gives us the desires of our hearts if we put Him first, but don't you think that putting Him first changes the desires of our hearts sometimes?

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding about your beliefs, why don't you try to explain them or give links to resources that explain them.

--tibac

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by wildernesse
hobart schmedly:

Rather than simply scoff at the wrong-mindedness of the original question, why don't you try to answer it and other questions about what you beleive, if you believe that faith=whatever you want. I know that God gives us the desires of our hearts if we put Him first, but don't you think that putting Him first changes the desires of our hearts sometimes?

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding about your beliefs, why don't you try to explain them or give links to resources that explain them.

--tibac

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt. Here are just a few we have been working for some time.
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/17159.html
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/15483.html
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/21596.html

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I used to be dirt poor, living on less than $5000 a year. Yet that is exactly when I trusted and depended on God the most.

Now I work at two food pantries, and about 1/6 of the people who come in for help are Christians. Full of faith, but poor nonetheless.

I think God sets us into the circumstances He knows will make us grow the most, and he sets our brothers and sisters in Christ into poverty to test our love and willingness to give and share.

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Thanks Hobart for the links--I have since discovered another thread about related to this topic. I haven't been here all that long and don't know how many times everyone here has ridden this ride.

I'm sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but I think that instead of saying that this is the same old same old, you could just have posted those links to begin with. So those of us who are new could see for ourselves that this is a merry-go-round of sorts.

Thanks again.

--tibac

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.