✟15,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seven MPs leave Labour in Corbyn protest

Several Hours ago, seven prominent Labour Members of Parliament have resigned the Party and have all become Independents.

Advocates for the right wing of the party, the seven breakaways state anti-semitism and the Leadership's stance of Brexit as reasons for leaving the Party.

Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour party has stated his "disappointment" with those who have left.

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Seven MPs leave Labour in Corbyn protest

Several Hours ago, seven prominent Labour Members of Parliament have resigned the Party and have all become Independents.

Advocates for the right wing of the party, the seven breakaways state anti-semitism and the Leadership's stance of Brexit as reasons for leaving the Party.

Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour party has stated his "disappointment" with those who have left.
What do you feel will happen with Brexit? I did not follow it much at all until maybe a month ago. Based upon all that I have read and heard, it looks to me like the UK will leave the EU without a deal being signed!

Upvote 0

Just Another User

Nov 24, 2018
The United part
✟15,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand the antisemitism aspect. What specifically have they done or said that was antisemetic.

People apposed to Corbyn haven't criticised him for being a anti-semtic (because there's no evidence of him being one) and have't criticized any of the cabinet. What they have criticised in the "institutionalised" nature of racism in the party through it's members and the failure to combat it with enough authority.

They're certainly anti-Semitic elements in the Labour party and that's undeniable. It's also a growing problem in British politics in the 21st century. It's also going to take a lot more force than most can even realise. However, to the best of my knowledge, Labour has the lowest rates of anti-semitism out of all the major parties and Anti-Semitism has also dropped since Corbyn took charge in 2015.

The left of the Labour party have always been supportive of Palestine whereas the centre and the right have usually been neutral or supportive of Israel. You could argue that's a case too. Since Corbyn is the furthest left Labour Leader since Michael Foot who was leader in 1983 (who also had a split with the right of the party which cost him the election which lead to the Conservatives being in power for a generation) many people who were eventually going to become major players in the party won't ever get a cabinet position again.

Everyone who resigned also tried to get rid of him in the coup of 2016 just after the Brexit vote so this has been going on for almost 3 years.

What do you feel will happen with Brexit? I did not follow it much at all until maybe a month ago. Based upon all that I have read and heard, it looks to me like the UK will leave the EU without a deal being signed!

Beats me. It was originally a Conservative Party ordeal (originally a Labour party ordeal in the mid 70s) and now it's blown up to a nation wide feud. If I'd have to guess, either there's going to be a general election called before the end of March or the ERG ( hard-right faction of the Conservatives) will push for less connections with the EU. Since the Conservative Remainers are weak they'll probably give in to the ERG eventually.

I doubt the UK would leave without a deal because the Opposition parties and Conservative Remainers wouldn't let it happen. They'll be an amendment on the 29th February by a Labour MP to check with Parliament if no-deal will be allowed. Since no-deal has been May's biggest threat to the EU, she could lose her best weapon and her house of cards could come crashing down.

If the Cooper amendment get's through, a no-deal won't be legally allowed to happen and May will be forced to either:

1. Give more concessions to the Opposition party (which the leave faction in her Party or the DUP which is propping up her minority government won't allow),

2. Extend article 50 past March 29th (but before the European elections) which will only buy her more time to seek a new deal with the EU,

3. Resign and give the job of PM to someone else who will revoke article 50 and support the Opposition parties (which I doubt and runs into 1.),

4. Call a general election (which the Conservatives would probably lose and Labour might get in)

5. Have talks with Corbyn and Labour and try a new deal which is a part of the Customs Union and Single Market (which runs into 1 again.)

• Informative
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I hope and pray that you are right.
The best possible future is a hard no deal Brexit, only then can Britain be a sovereign nation once again.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
It sounds like a terrible mess. Personally, I agree with Tony Blair. I think that a 2nd Brexit vote by the people is the best approach.
Absolutely not. Blair is only calling for a second referendum because he is has no respect for the democratic vote and is determined to undo the first one.

The only way a second referendum might be possible, is if staying in the EU is completely off the ballot paper. ie. Just voting on the type of Brexit.
But that of course is not the intention of those calling for a rerun of the vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums