LA considering bringing back mask orders...

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've had three ivermection, one heart worm, and get a bleach booster every other month.

Luckily for me, I also had horse worms at the time, so the ivermection was doing double duty... that along with frivolous use of z-package and hydroxyclorawquen

I've found the best way to show BiG Farma that they don't control me, is to rigorously avoid taking one of their drugs by gratuitous and frivolous use of 3 of their other drugs.

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its time to live in faith, instead of fear.

This isn't the place to debate the science of masks, vaccinations, etc.... It is the place for scripture and living by that scripture.

Actually, this is the news & current events forum, open to discussion from all and there is a separate forum for discussing things specifically from a christian point of view (though, I don't suspect your sentiment will receive the level of support your expecting over there either, as most Christians still are on-board with the concept of prudent risk management)

"Live in faith, instead of fear" comes across as a generic platitude with regards to the context for this discussion, for a few reasons...

A) Virtually nobody would be saying that about any other virus and holding it up as a virtue. IE: if someone got bit by a rabid fox, and they said "I'm going to live in faith instead of fear", most people would rightfully say "Are you nuts?!? Go to the hospital and get the rabies shots"

B) Most of the people I've encountered who've expressed that sentiment of "I'm not going to live in fear" over covid, have had no problem expressing fear (and resorting to taking what they feel are intervening measures). IE: "I'm not going to live in fear of covid, now if you'll excuse me, I need to go buy 3,000 rounds of ammo because a Democrat just got elected I'm afraid they may try to come to my house in the middle of the night and steel my freedom"

Having said that...
As I noted before, I think we're at a point in the game where things like mask mandates are unnecessary, and prudent risk management on an individual level is the appropriate approach without needing to make anyone do anything.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I only use one mask, (disposable surgical), I see people out with cloth masks and give them as wide a berth as the unmasked.

You should be aware, that if you're only using a surgical mask your protection level doesn't greatly exceed that of the "cloth mask people" you're giving a wide birth to...

Per a study conducted by the University of Minnesota...

362783_c706f945412a7a3992dabe8dfabd771a.png

...at least not enough to engage in sentiments of "mask superiority".

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At this point a mask mandate would only be appropriate if there was a new variant with significantly higher hospitalisation/mortality rates.

Correct...if people want to continue to wear one, by all means, I'm not going to try to stop them from doing so nor am I going to make fun of them out in public.

But thanks to vaccinations and the therapeutics we have available (as well as a significant degree of prior infection immunity), cases is no longer the prudent metric to consider.

We've finally gotten our arms around covid enough that it's not really anymore impactful than a flu for the overwhelming majority of the population, and thus, "making everyone else do something on behalf of everyone else" isn't the appropriate approach anymore like it was when hospitalizations were spiking to near-capacity levels and we were losing 600k+ people in the period of a year.

• Agree
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article263506228.html

Local health officials announced that if Los Angeles County is classified in the CDC’s high community level for two consecutive weeks, the county would return to an indoor mask order the following day.

[/quote]If I were a LA resident, I would have a couple of questions.[/quote]

I am an LA resident; I have some answers.

1) With over 80% of their populations being vaccinated (over 90% for vulnerable age groups), why would they reinstitute a mandate for something that was just a stop-gap measure until vaccines were available?

The criteria for when indoor mask mandates would come into effect were set up months ago. The existing conditional mandate is being triggered because the criteria are being met. The goal of the masks is to slow the spread, which is very high. There are signs of flattening in LA County, so it's possible the mandate will not be imposed after all.

2) Would the mandate be just a "mask mandate" or a N/KN-95 mandate?

A universal indoor mask mandate.

3) Which metrics are they using to justify the measure?

You quoted them. It's being at the CDC 'high' community level for two weeks solid based on "new coronavirus-positive hospital admissions".

From what I can see with the stats, deaths have remained pretty much flat since late March, and hospitalizations aren't going up by any noticeable amount

Hospitalizations in LA County are up. That is, in fact, the criteria being used.

• Informative
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Trust in God but lock your car anyway. Wearing a mask isn’t any more a sign of fear than wearing a seatbelt is a sign you fear accidents or having smoke detectors as a sign you fear fires. It’s a passive level of safety designed to take care of you in light of a problem.

This isn't the place to debate the science of masks, vaccinations, etc.... It is the place for scripture and living by that scripture.

Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

3 John 1:2, "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."

Isaiah 53:5, "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed."

None of that says “and don’t wear a mask in the event of a global pandemic.”

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

3 John 1:2, "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."

Isaiah 53:5, "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed."
So you don’t wash your hands after using the restroom I guess? Or cover your nose when you sneeze?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Live in faith instead of fear? What, exactly, does fear have to do with with taking sensible measures to reduce the chance of getting sick? And making others sick?
Some people might be confident that if God wills them to get COVID and die, then as it’s God’s will, who’re they to try to do differently, (and besides they’ve got a mansion awaiting them in Heaven).
I got it nowhere to go so I’m stuck trying to live as long as possible on this plane of existence.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The criteria for when indoor mask mandates would come into effect were set up months ago. The existing conditional mandate is being triggered because the criteria are being met. The goal of the masks is to slow the spread, which is very high. There are signs of flattening in LA County, so it's possible the mandate will not be imposed after all.

Hospitalizations in LA County are up. That is, in fact, the criteria being used.

When you mentioned "the criteria for reimposing the mandate were set up months ago", how many months ago are we talking about?

The current circulating variants pose less of the threat than Delta which is why I ask.

When Delta transmission was upticking, and they saw a small hospitalization increase during that time, it meant something very different than what an uptick means under Omicron BA.5.

An uptick in hospitalizations with delta was the precursor to an exponential explosion of hospitalizations.
upload_2022-7-25_18-37-46.png

(as was the original wave of Omicron simply due to the sheer volume)

The BA.4/BA.5 uptick has been slow and gradual
upload_2022-7-25_18-38-57.png

As A) less less lethal, and B) the original Omicron already ripped it's way through the population and left a lot of residual immunity in its wake.

We're unlikely to see any sort of hospital resource issues as a result of BA.5 like we did with Delta.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaptureToBeSoon

Jul 22, 2022
Grand Junction
✟16,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trust in God but lock your car anyway. Wearing a mask isn’t any more a sign of fear than wearing a seatbelt is a sign you fear accidents or having smoke detectors as a sign you fear fires. It’s a passive level of safety designed to take care of you in light of a problem.

Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

None of that says “and don’t wear a mask in the event of a global pandemic.”

A locked car doesn't intrude on my freedom to live. A fire alarm doesn't intrude on my freedom to live. Heck, the firearm that is legal concealed carry inside my belt, doesn't intrude on my freedom to live.

What does intrude on my freedom.... A mask. I have trouble breathing. My oxygen levels go down (proven by my own Pulse Ox measurements). And.... my glasses fog up so bad I am running into people in the store.

I am a University trained Biologist with the full Bachelors Degree and I know as well as anyone the effectiveness of various kinds of masks and how the individual wears them. Upwards of 99% of mask wearers on the street and in a store are spreading their germs and they are breathing mine. Its a joke.

So.... I will not wear one. If anyone thinks they are being protected in wearing one... go for it. If anyone thinks I am a danger to society since I don't wear one.... then simply wear one when you are within 50 feet of me. But anyone that tries to assault and verbally attack me for not wearing one... You will reap what you sow.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A locked car doesn't intrude on my freedom to live. A fire alarm doesn't intrude on my freedom to live. Heck, the firearm that is legal concealed carry inside my belt, doesn't intrude on my freedom to live.

What does intrude on my freedom.... A mask. I have trouble breathing. My oxygen levels go down (proven by my own Pulse Ox measurements). And.... my glasses fog up so bad I am running into people in the store.

I am a University trained Biologist with the full Bachelors Degree and I know as well as anyone the effectiveness of various kinds of masks and how the individual wears them. Upwards of 99% of mask wearers on the street and in a store are spreading their germs and they are breathing mine. Its a joke.

So.... I will not wear one. If anyone thinks they are being protected in wearing one... go for it. If anyone thinks I am a danger to society since I don't wear one.... then simply wear one when you are within 50 feet of me. But anyone that tries to assault and verbally attack me for not wearing one... You will reap what you sow.

To be fair, they do say that if you're one of the ones who can't wear masks for health reasons, to not wear one. Some people can't. People who have asthma or other breathing issues should not wear them. That's why people shouldn't be a mask nazi. Because they don't know that person's health history.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A mask doesn’t intrude on your freedom to live either. Wear a mask.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

If your glasses fog up when wearing a mask, that means you're wearing the mask wrong.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have double masked both in doors and outdoors since the start of this and have worked next, less than 1 meter apart, to people whom have had all the variants without catching covid till date. I think the idea that masks are a burden is a very childish thing pushed by childish people. It is an effective first line of defense.
Double masked indoors and OUTDOORS? Yikes. Your chances of contracting it outdoors are basically nonexistent.

So why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Double masked indoors and OUTDOORS? Yikes. Your chances of contracting it outdoors are basically nonexistent.

So why?
outdoors mainly because i actually like wearing masks. it feels rather comforting.
and also because i hate putting things on and taking them off repeatedly.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wear one all the time now, even in the shower. It's so refreshing not to have to see my whole face, and I haven't had to shave in a long time.
I think we should all wear them forever. Just think of how much time it would save women on make up alone!
And who really needs to breath freely any way?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If I were a LA resident, I would have a couple of questions.

I am an LA resident; I have some answers.

A universal indoor mask mandate.

You quoted them. It's being at the CDC 'high' community level for two weeks solid based on "new coronavirus-positive hospital admissions".

Is new Covid as deadly as old Covid?

I think Texas should start bussing illegals to LA. That way they can use the ER free.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
There are signs of flattening in LA County, so it's possible the mandate will not be imposed after all.

L.A. County won’t impose new mask mandate as coronavirus cases decline

Los Angeles County will not reinstitute a universal indoor public mask mandate after marked improvements in the region’s coronavirus case and hospitalization rates.

Under L.A. County’s plan, if the region reached the high COVID-19 community level, as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and remained there for three consecutive Thursdays, a new mask order would be issued.

Although cases are trending downward and hospitalizations are relatively flat, the same can’t be said for deaths, the ultimate lagging indicator of coronavirus spread.

As of Thursday, L.A. County was recording 108 COVID-19 deaths a week, a 16% week-over-week increase. A month ago, L.A. County was reporting 56 deaths a week.

Upvote 0