Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So I am not really sure how to start this out, or if this is even the right board. For several years I have been following a stream of Christianity known as Bethel mostly by Bill Johnson and others like him. However, some sects within the Christian community describe this as a Kundalini inspired sect and believe it isn't Christian. I say all that because I am unfamiliar with Kundalini, but I did find some of the symbolism, such as the serpent, intriguing considering some of symbolism used in the Bible. From my understanding Kundalini is a Hindu concept, which I find to be the oldest religion in the world. I am wondering if Christianity is incorrect. The fall of man described in Genesis says a serpent decieved Eve into eating the forbidden fruit to become like God. Kundalini is described as a serpent that brings spiritual enlightenment. Is it possible there is truth in this and Christianity is just an oppressive religious system to prevent him from reaching enlightenment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reactions: Satanist.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Snake symbols are super common.

My opinion: look into things pretty deeply. For example, don't just consider the story with the serpent. Also look into Christian mysticism (around here, the folks on The Ancient Way and The Voice in the Desert might be good ones to start with) and see what Christian traditions there are that look more like a kundalini "awakening" than they do a suppression of it?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible there is truth in this and Christianity is just an oppressive religious system to prevent him from reaching enlightenment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I believe the bible is the source of truth. But here's the proverbial rub: the words in the bible have to first pass through the human mind. It's here that things can go terribly wrong, and the truth can be turned around backward and come out as false. But note that doesn't make the source false; the false is being produced through the mind of the reader. This is where all of the division and contradiction and mass confusion in Christianity is coming from: not from the bible, but from the minds of men misunderstanding the bible.

So in turn, because of the mass of contradiction and confusion in it, the word "Christianity" has really lost all inherent meaning. And I would propose that "Christianity" has indeed become an oppressive religious system which is the foremost obstacle to men reaching understanding of truth. It has become the adversary standing in the way which must be overcome in order to get understanding. It has become to us what the Pharisees were to Jesus.

But bear in mind clearly what I'm proposing: that the bible is full source of truth; and as such there is a tiny Christianity which is truth; but that the goliath of Christianity does not represent the bible, but represents a very distorted and backward understanding which, like the Pharisees of old, seeks only to enslave, oppress, condemn, torment, and spread fear, and change faith into despair, and to take away knowledge, and to crush hope into doubt.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There was an interesting address by a Baha'i Dr. Ali Quli Khan many years ago that referred to Moses:

"That man of God, that Law Giver, that interlocutor of God, directed by the divine Light, betook himself to the city of darkness and delivered the Message of His Lord to him who was the most powerful king in the history of that age. He discomfited the hosts of the magi with the white hand of argument and swallowed the snakes of imagination with the serpent of Truth. A shepherd, destitute of any material influence, learning, affluence or hosts, suppressed the power of kings, silenced the men of sciences, and imparted the wealth of Law and Truth to the Pharaoh-ridden slaves, termed the Jews. He directed them to the Land of Promise, and established them in the covenanted country in fulfilment of the Words of God to the Patriarch."

(SOW - Star of the West, Star of the West - 4)

The reference to the "Serpent of Truth" I think would be a close analogy perhaps to "Kundalini"

A further reference by Baha'u'llah to Moses:

"Consider Moses! Armed with the rod of celestial dominion, adorned with the white hand of Divine knowledge, and proceeding from the Paran of the love of God, and wielding the serpent of power and everlasting majesty, He shone forth from the Sinai of light upon the world."

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 19

Here the "serpent of power and everlasting majesty" could approximate Kundalini...

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am wondering if Christianity is incorrect. The fall of man described in Genesis says a serpent decieved Eve into eating the forbidden fruit to become like God. Kundalini is described as a serpent that brings spiritual enlightenment. Is it possible there is truth in this and Christianity is just an oppressive religious system to prevent him from reaching enlightenment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
IMHO the two cultures were not sharing symbols. Its just coincidence.

Reactions: Satanist.
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟648,546.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
So I am not really sure how to start this out, or if this is even the right board. For several years I have been following a stream of Christianity known as Bethel mostly by Bill Johnson and others like him. However, some sects within the Christian community describe this as a Kundalini inspired sect and believe it isn't Christian. I say all that because I am unfamiliar with Kundalini, but I did find some of the symbolism, such as the serpent, intriguing considering some of symbolism used in the Bible. From my understanding Kundalini is a Hindu concept, which I find to be the oldest religion in the world. I am wondering if Christianity is incorrect. The fall of man described in Genesis says a serpent decieved Eve into eating the forbidden fruit to become like God. Kundalini is described as a serpent that brings spiritual enlightenment. Is it possible there is truth in this and Christianity is just an oppressive religious system to prevent him from reaching enlightenment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Can a copper snake on a pole heal just by looking up at it?

No.

But by looking up and past it.

"I will lift my eyes to the mountains from
where will my help come?"

"My help will come from the Lord,
Maker of heaven and Earth."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I understand my old New Age studies correctly, Kundalini is achieved through a series of mental exercises, chanting, and yoga.

Kundalini teaches that there are seven spiritual points in the human body called "chakras".

Through meditation, yoga, and a host of other ungodly practices, a serpent awakens and begins its journey from the bottommost chakra, and eventually ... over a period of a lifetime ... connects with the topmost chakra (the Third Eye?) and Kundalini, or spiritual enlightenment, is achieved.

It is, of course, bogus and doing nothing more than consorting with the Devil and asking for trouble.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The fall of man described in Genesis says a serpent decieved Eve into eating the forbidden fruit to become like God. Kundalini is described as a serpent that brings spiritual enlightenment. Is it possible there is truth in this and Christianity is just an oppressive religious system to prevent him from reaching enlightenment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Christianity, while helpful to many, can be oppressive in nature. It's doctrines prevent one from seeking with threats of hell and damnation. Also socially, one can find themselves without friends and family if they leave the faith. Of course, as I mentioned before, to many, it can be an extremely helpful and positive path. I do know many people though that I see Christianity as not a good fit, so they would be better served to leave the faith and explore another path, but the very beliefs that don't help them, also prevent them from leaving.

Interestingly enough, when I first left the faith I explored some gnostic thought. Some texts spoke of the snake/serpent as the true spirit of God. Adam and Eve were under the spell of the demiurge (god in genesis) and when they ate the apple they 'woke up' and realised that the garden was really just an illusion. Once the demiurge realised this he promptly wiped their minds but the damage was done and the light of the true God, was allowed in and climaxed with the coming of the Christos, Jesus.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly enough, when I first left the faith I explored some gnostic thought. Some texts spoke of the snake/serpent as the true spirit of God. Adam and Eve were under the spell of the demiurge (god in genesis) and when they ate the apple they 'woke up' and realised that the garden was really just an illusion. Once the demiurge realised this he promptly wiped their minds but the damage was done and the light of the true God, was allowed in and climaxed with the coming of the Christos, Jesus.

Almost anyone can take a section of the Bible and "reasonably" reinterpret it any way he wants to. This is an example of it.

The beauty of the Bible is that such a "reasonable" change would turn out to be extremely unreasonable, if other parts of Bible are considered together. The whole Bible deliver ONE highly interwoven integrated message. It is very very difficult, or impossible to change one part, without seriously affect the meaning of the whole message.

The description of modification you quoted sounds reasonable and interesting. However, have you thought about "the consequences" that change would make? In this case, it is not even a hard question at all.

Upvote 0

newlightseven

In the confessional
Site Supporter
May 21, 2016
North Carolina
Visit site
✟46,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Stay away from anything involving kundalini. Yeshua is our savior

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Almost anyone can take a section of the Bible and "reasonably" reinterpret it any way he wants to. This is an example of it.

The beauty of the Bible is that such a "reasonable" change would turn out to be extremely unreasonable, if other parts of Bible are considered together. The whole Bible deliver ONE highly interwoven integrated message. It is very very difficult, or impossible to change one part, without seriously affect the meaning of the whole message.

The description of modification you quoted sounds reasonable and interesting. However, have you thought about "the consequences" that change would make? In this case, it is not even a hard question at all.

Not sure what you mean but I wasn't putting down the Bible. I just meant in general. Christianity just doesn't work for everyone, yet it can entrap people who would probably be better off on a different path.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean but I wasn't putting down the Bible. I just meant in general. Christianity just doesn't work for everyone, yet it can entrap people who would probably be better off on a different path.

It is not for a religion to work with people. It is for people to work with a religion. You do not have a religion yet, that is why you made such a fundamental mistake.

Buddhism may work for you at the beginning. But as you getting deeper into it, you will realize it is actually YOU, who work for the religion. No free lunch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The serpent has been seen in many cultures as a creature that is clever, wise, or scheming. And so, for example, the serpent as a symbol can be seen as a virtuous symbol, or it can be seen as a less than virtuous one. The thing about symbols is that they are malleable. The Christian Bible itself doesn't contain a single symbolic conception of the serpent, where in Genesis the serpent is a creature that is wiley and clever--and deceptive--leading Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit, Jesus also commands His followers to be "wise as serpents".

And I suspect that if one were to look throughout the entirety of Hindu culture and religious symbolism one will find serpent symbolism that isn't depicted as good.

Trying to uncover some universal symbol is a fool's errand. Because symbols are malleable, and are used as needed by the community using them in order to communicate what they want to communicate.

The cross, as a symbol in Christianity has a very specific meaning. But the cross meant something very different two thousand years ago when the actual Roman crux was an instrument of government sponsored terrorism against marginal groups on the outskirts of the empire. And then various cross symbols can be found throughout the ancient world going back thousands and thousands of years with all sorts of meanings.

There is no universal meaning to the shape of a cross. Culture gives context, intention gives context. A cross in a Christian church is going to mean something entirely different than a cross found on a stone found in an Incan burial mound (purely hypothetical scenario).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm pretty sure the Kundalini is about opening the charkas of the body and most specifically the third eye. Kundalini - Wikipedia It is often called the sleeping serpent and it is said to go up your spine as it opens chakras eventually reaching the third eye.

Here are a few links to people who say they have had the Kundalini awakening. It can be very scary.

Suggestions on what to do if you've had a Kundalini Awakening
kundalini rising last night and scared! [Archive] - Spiritual Forums
The Spiritual Deception of Yoga | Christian Assemblies International

This is not something of God and is a New Age practice associated with Reiki masters and Yoga as well as being sometimes used in other religions.

This is very popular among young New Agers trying to become God's themselves. I studied it for quite a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is not for a religion to work with people. It is for people to work with a religion. You do not have a religion yet, that is why you made such a fundamental mistake.

Perhaps you are right. I don't worry much about religion anymore.

Buddhism may work for you at the beginning. But as you getting deeper into it, you will realize it is actually YOU, who work for the religion. No free lunch.

I just say the Nembutsu. Nothing more. That's the extent of my Buddhism.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This type of thing really is going on. Where God is considered to have wanted to keep Adam and Eve from knowing and having all that knowledge. Very backward, but many in the New Age type groups/religions do believe this.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This type of thing really is going on. Where God is considered to have wanted to keep Adam and Eve from knowing and having all that knowledge. Very backward, but many in the New Age type groups/religions do believe this.

Yeah. All pretty much nonsense either way.

Upvote 0