Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just sent this little devotional to Charles via pm:

Hello Charles! :)

Because of God showing His love to me and for the sacrifice that He made on my behalf,

I am able to share some of His love with you and invite you to become a part of His
family.

He did this for you

by Max Lucado

The cross

Can you turn any direction
without seeing one? Perched atop a chapel, carved into a graveyard headstone, engraved
in a ring or suspended from a chain. The cross is a universal symbol of Christianity. An
odd choice, don't you think? Strange that a tool of torture would come to embody a
movement of hope.

Would you wear a tiny electric chair around your neck? Suspend a gold-plated
hangman's noose on the wall? Would you print a picture of a firing squad on a business
card? Yet we do so with the cross.

Why is the cross the symbol of our faith? To find the answer look no further than the
cross itself. Its design couldn't be simpler. One beam horizontal--the other vertical. One
reaches out--like God's love. The other reaches up--as does God's holiness. The cross is
the intersection. The cross is where God forgave His children without lowering His standards.

How could He do this?
In a sentence: God put our sin on His Son and punished it there.

"God put on him the wrong who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with
God." - 2 Corinthians 5:21

Or as rendered elsewhere: "Christ never sinned! But God treated him as a sinner, so that
Christ could make us acceptable to God." (CEV)

Envision the moment. God on His throne. You on the earth. And between you and God,
suspended between you and heaven, is Christ on His cross. Your sins have been placed on
Jesus. God, who punishes sin, releases His rightful wrath on your mistakes. Jesus receives
the blow. Since Christ is between you and God, you don't. The sin is punished, but you are
safe--safe in the shadow of the cross.

This is what God did, but why? Why would He do it? Moral duty? Heavenly obligation?
Paternal requirement? No. God is required to do nothing.

Besides, consider what He did. Just for you He gave His Son. His only Son. Would you
do that? Would you offer the life of your child for someone else? I wouldn't. There are
those for whom I would give my life. But ask me to make a list of those for whom I would
kill my daughter? The sheet will be blank. I don't need a pencil. The list has no names.

But God's list contains the name of every person who ever lived. For this is the scope of
His love. And this is the reason for the cross. He loves the world.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son" - John 3:16 (NLT)

As boldly as the center beam proclaims God's holiness, the crossbeam declares His love.
And oh, how wide His love reaches.

Aren't you glad the verse does not read: "For God so loved the rich..."? Or, For God so
loved the famous..."? Or, For God so loved the thin..."?

It doesn't. Nor does it state, "For God so loved the Europeans or Africans..." "the sober
or successful...""the young or the old..."

No, when we read John 3:16, we simply (and happily read, "For God so loved the
world").

How wide is God's love? Wide enough for the whole world. Are you included in the world?
Then you are included in God's love. God's love is just for you.

It's nice to be included. You aren't always. Universities exclude you if you aren't smart
enough. Businesses exclude you if you aren't qualified enough, and sadly, some churches
exclude you if you aren't good enough.

But though they may exclude you, Christ includes you. When asked to describe the
width of His love, He stretched one hand to the right and the other to the left and had
them nailed in that postion so you would know He died loving you.

But isn't there a limit? Surely there has to be an end to this love. You'd think so,
wouldn't you? But David the adulterer never found it. Paul the murderer never found it.
Peter the liar never found it. When it came to life, they hit bottom. But when it came to
God's love, they never did.

They like you, found their names on God's list of love.

~~~

Because God loves you, He has invited you to enjoy eternal life with Him in Heaven.
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except
through me" (John 14:6). Jesus made a way to accept God's invitation, and He did just
for you. Accept the invitation by believing that Jesus received the punishment for your
sin by His death on the cross. Confess your sin by His death on the cross. Confess that
you've sinned and ask His forgiveness. Invite Him into your life and ask God's help to turn
from your sin. You can pray something like this:

Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. Thank You for sending
Jesus to suffer the punishment deserved for my sin. Please come into my life and help
me live a life that pleases You. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just sent this little devotional to Charles via pm:

Hello Charles! :)

Because of God showing His love to me and for the sacrifice that He made on my behalf,

I am able to share some of His love with you and invite you to become a part of His
family.

He did this for you

by Max Lucado

The cross

Can you turn any direction
without seeing one? Perched atop a chapel, carved into a graveyard headstone, engraved
in a ring or suspended from a chain. The cross is a universal symbol of Christianity. An
odd choice, don't you think? Strange that a tool of torture would come to embody a
movement of hope.

Would you wear a tiny electric chair around your neck? Suspend a gold-plated
hangman's noose on the wall? Would you print a picture of a firing squad on a business
card? Yet we do so with the cross.

Why is the cross the symbol of our faith? To find the answer look no further than the
cross itself. Its design couldn't be simpler. One beam horizontal--the other vertical. One
reaches out--like God's love. The other reaches up--as does God's holiness. The cross is
the intersection. The cross is where God forgave His children without lowering His standards.

How could He do this?
In a sentence: God put our sin on His Son and punished it there.

"God put on him the wrong who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with
God." - 2 Corinthians 5:21

Or as rendered elsewhere: "Christ never sinned! But God treated him as a sinner, so that
Christ could make us acceptable to God." (CEV)

Envision the moment. God on His throne. You on the earth. And between you and God,
suspended between you and heaven, is Christ on His cross. Your sins have been placed on
Jesus. God, who punishes sin, releases His rightful wrath on your mistakes. Jesus receives
the blow. Since Christ is between you and God, you don't. The sin is punished, but you are
safe--safe in the shadow of the cross.

This is what God did, but why? Why would He do it? Moral duty? Heavenly obligation?
Paternal requirement? No. God is required to do nothing.

Besides, consider what He did. Just for you He gave His Son. His only Son. Would you
do that? Would you offer the life of your child for someone else? I wouldn't. There are
those for whom I would give my life. But ask me to make a list of those for whom I would
kill my daughter? The sheet will be blank. I don't need a pencil. The list has no names.

But God's list contains the name of every person who ever lived. For this is the scope of
His love. And this is the reason for the cross. He loves the world.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son" - John 3:16 (NLT)

As boldly as the center beam proclaims God's holiness, the crossbeam declares His love.
And oh, how wide His love reaches.

Aren't you glad the verse does not read: "For God so loved the rich..."? Or, For God so
loved the famous..."? Or, For God so loved the thin..."?

It doesn't. Nor does it state, "For God so loved the Europeans or Africans..." "the sober
or successful...""the young or the old..."

No, when we read John 3:16, we simply (and happily read, "For God so loved the
world").

How wide is God's love? Wide enough for the whole world. Are you included in the world?
Then you are included in God's love. God's love is just for you.

It's nice to be included. You aren't always. Universities exclude you if you aren't smart
enough. Businesses exclude you if you aren't qualified enough, and sadly, some churches
exclude you if you aren't good enough.

But though they may exclude you, Christ includes you. When asked to describe the
width of His love, He stretched one hand to the right and the other to the left and had
them nailed in that postion so you would know He died loving you.

But isn't there a limit? Surely there has to be an end to this love. You'd think so,
wouldn't you? But David the adulterer never found it. Paul the murderer never found it.
Peter the liar never found it. When it came to life, they hit bottom. But when it came to
God's love, they never did.

They like you, found their names on God's list of love.

~~~

Because God loves you, He has invited you to enjoy eternal life with Him in Heaven.
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except
through me" (John 14:6). Jesus made a way to accept God's invitation, and He did just
for you. Accept the invitation by believing that Jesus received the punishment for your
sin by His death on the cross. Confess your sin by His death on the cross. Confess that
you've sinned and ask His forgiveness. Invite Him into your life and ask God's help to turn
from your sin. You can pray something like this:

Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. Thank You for sending
Jesus to suffer the punishment deserved for my sin. Please come into my life and help
me live a life that pleases You. Amen.
sound good :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoyforJESUS

Jesus Others Yourself
Nov 28, 2006
Cumberland Maryland
✟42,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Back for just a moment,

I would like you to add a friend to the prayer list.

Toby, I have known him for 14 years, he is currently my boss at the grocery store.

Yesterday (3/31) he fell from about 12 ft, while putting up some stock. He has blood accumulating around his brain, and at least 2 broke vertebra in his back. He didn't know where he was, and was refusing to go to the hospital, until his boss told him if he didn't it would cost his job. He has no idea what happened.

He is currently hospitalized. And we don't know when he will be released

Thank you to all, for prayer for Toby, and for Patti his fiancée.

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Back for just a moment,

I would like you to add a friend to the prayer list.

Toby, I have known him for 14 years, he is currently my boss at the grocery store.

Yesterday (3/31) he fell from about 12 ft, while putting up some stock. He has blood accumulating around his brain, and at least 2 broke vertebra in his back. He didn't know where he was, and was refusing to go to the hospital, until his boss told him if he didn't it would cost his job. He has no idea what happened.

He is currently hospitalized. And we don't know when he will be released

Thank you to all, for prayer for Toby, and for Patti his fiancée.
I'm praying

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.