Koran verses read denying Jesus Son of God in Cathedral

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Allah is the same god in Christianity and Judaism. It's just a different name for the same thing.
Only linguistically. Allah is another god altogether from the God of Abraham Issac and Jacob. It is the Moon god from the old Arabian pantheon. And according to the tests of 1 John, it is the spirit of antichrist.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A passage from the Koran that denies one of the central tenets of the Christian faith was sung aloud at a cathedral service in Scotland.
The passage from Surah 19, which specifically denies that Jesus was the Son of God and says He should not be worshipped, was sung during a Eucharist service at St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral in Glasgow to mark the feast of the Epiphany.

A video of the recital was posted on YouTube showing a girl singing the passage in a typical Islamic style. It narrates the Islamic account of the birth of Jesus, which includes the claim that Mary was “ashamed” after giving birth, and the infant Christ miraculously spoke from the cradle – something not found in Christian scripture.

She then concludes by singing verse 35, which states in translation: “It befitteth not the Majesty of Allah that He should take unto Himself a son,” and then verse 36, which has the infant Jesus saying: “And lo! Allah is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. That is the right path.”

The cathedral praised the reading in a Facebook post, calling it a “wonderful event”.

However, retired Anglican bishop Michael Nazir-Ali strongly condemned it, saying it was especially inappropriate for the feast of the Epiphany, which celebrates the revelation of Christ as the Son of God.

Christian Today quotes him as saying: “The authorities of the Scottish Episcopal Church should immediately repudiate this ill-advised invitation.”

“Christians should know what their fellow citizens believe and this can include reading the Qur’an for themselves, whether in the original or in translation. This is not, however, the same thing as having it read in Church in the context of public worship,” he added.

“It is particularly insensitive to have this passage read in Church on the Feast of the Epiphany when we celebrate not only Christ’s manifestation to the gentiles but also his baptism and the divine declaration, ‘you are my beloved son in whom I am well pleased’.”

The Scottish Episcopal Church is part of the worldwide Anglican Communion, which also includes the Church of England and America’s Episcopalian Church.

Koran Verse Denying Divinity of Christ Sung at Episcopal Cathedral Service

The cathedral’s Facebook page also proudly publicises a press report on the provost’s Christmas sermon, in which he compared U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump to the biblical King Herod, who ordered the massacre of children.

They should really be smarter than that. How embarrassing.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Only linguistically. Allah is another god altogether from the God of Abraham Issac and Jacob. It is the Moon god from the old Arabian pantheon. And according to the tests of 1 John, it is the spirit of antichrist.

Actually the whole 'moon god' thing is a myth invented to discredit the idea. The word 'Allah' comes from the same root as 'Elohim' in Hebrew, and Arabic-speaking Christians refer to God as Allah.

Islam ostensibly worships the same god as Christianity and Judaism, but they have very different ideas about Him. So it's pretty much a heretical religion, not a pagan one.

Upvote 0

Basil Isaacks

Nov 2, 2016
Mesa, Arizona
✟11,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The cathedral’s Facebook page also proudly publicises a press report on the provost’s Christmas sermon, in which he compared U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump to the biblical King Herod, who ordered the massacre of children.

This makes no sense, even for Anglicans. Herod killed children. Trump ran on stopping killing children by abortion.

Christ is baptized! In the Jordan!

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Mohammedans denied God when they replaced Christ with their more preferred "prophet"... a dysfunctional and heretical ideology replaced Gods Truth. Very unfortunate.

As for 'who' they worship is none of my concern.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Allah is the same god in Christianity and Judaism. It's just a different name for the same thing.

No, the God of Christianity and the God of Islam are not the same. First of all, the God of Christianity is a Trinity where the God of Islam is not. The Trinity is the monotheistic teaching that God exists eternally as three distinct persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In Islam, this is blatantly denied.

• "And behold! Allah will say: "O 'Isa Ibn Maryam! Did you say to men, "Worship me and my mother as gods besides Allah?" He will say: "Glory to you! Never could I say what I had no right to say. Had I said such a thing, you would indeed have known it. You know what is in my heart, though I know not what is in yours. For you know in full all that is hidden," (Quran 5:116).
  • "O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs," (Quran 4:171).
Furthermore, in Christianity the doctrine of the Trinity allows for the incarnation of the Word. John 1:1, 14 says that the Word which was God was with God and became flesh and dwelt among us and was crucified (Matt. 26:2; 27:38). This is denied in Islam, which says that Jesus is only a prophet and was not crucified.

• "[Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet," (Quran 19:30).
  • "And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain," (Quran 4:157).
So, the God of Islam and the God of Christianity are not the same.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

islam is a cult. They follow an idol

• Agree
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This makes no sense, even for Anglicans. Herod killed children. Trump ran on stopping killing children by abortion.

Christ is baptized! In the Jordan!

Comparing Clinton to Herod with her support of abortion at any time up to birth is certainly arguable, but Trump, no.

I heard or read something a little while ago but do not knpw for certain taht it is true. It is that Islamic State think that their starting a war against Israel will bring about Armageddon. They, however, see Armageddon as a good thing brought about for Allah. The bible teaches it will be the army of the Anti-Christ that will attack Jerusalem and bring about Armageddon. Does that sound like people who are following the same god to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Comparing Clinton to Herod with her support of abortion at any time up to birth is certainly arguable, but Trump, no.

I heard or read something a little while ago but do not knpw for certain taht it is true. It is that Islamic State think that their starting a war against Israel will bring about Armageddon. They, however, see Armageddon as a good thing brought about for Allah. The bible teaches it will be the army of the Anti-Christ that will attack Jerusalem and bring about Armageddon. Does that sound like people who are following the same god to you?
It's the same God as the "statue worshipping" Catholics and "not Christian" Mormons.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, the God of Christianity and the God of Islam are not the same.

It is the same God to the extent--and only to the extent--that Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the God of Abraham. It is the Muslim understanding of the God of Abraham that is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Actually the whole 'moon god' thing is a myth invented to discredit the idea. The word 'Allah' comes from the same root as 'Elohim' in Hebrew, and Arabic-speaking Christians refer to God as Allah.

Islam ostensibly worships the same god as Christianity and Judaism, but they have very different ideas about Him. So it's pretty much a heretical religion, not a pagan one.

Jesus said,
John 14:9
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

If you deny that Jesus is God then you deny that his father is God.
Therefor the folks that deny Jesus are not worshiping the same Deity as those that accept Jesus as the Son of God and part of the trinity

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is the same God to the extent--and only to the extent--that Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the God of Abraham. It is the Muslim understanding of the God of Abraham that is wrong.

And the Jewish religions understanding of who Jesus is.

I wonder why you did not include the above statement in your post above?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And the Jewish religions understanding of who Jesus is.

I wonder why you did not include the above statement in your post above?

Yes, I could have added that, but the thread deals with Muslims reading from the Quran in a Christian church and not with Jews reading from the Torah in a Christian church. I was addressing the topic at hand and trying not to go too far off topic.

Of course, what you said is correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jewish people also deny the Trinity and divinity of Christ... they still worship the same deity, the one Islam says gave birth to Jesus through Mary.
I agree that Talmudic Jews do not worship the God of the Bible either. They rejected him when he revealed himself to the in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's the same God as the "statue worshipping" Catholics and "not Christian" Mormons.
Mormons are not Christian and don't worship the God of the Bible. They worship a space alien who created all of us by having sex with a heavenly mother, literally not figuratively.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From St Mary's Cathedral's page:

“Over the Christmas season, we invited local Muslim friends into St Mary’s Cathedral to join us for the Feast of the Epiphany – we often get similar invitations to join them for their own festivals. In the course of our celebrations of the birth of the Saviour, we listened with interest to the story that Muslims tell of the annunciation of Jesus in the Qur’an. Such readings have happened a number of times in the past in this and in other churches and have led to deepening friendships locally, to greater awareness of the things we hold in common and to dialogue about the ways in which we differ.

“I have commented in the past on such readings and those comments are still available online: Welcoming Muslims into church - What is in Kelvin's Head?

Additionally, what Muslims believe about Jesus' birth (there's NO mention of Mary being "ashamed"):

The Quran describes the birth of Jesus as follows:

aqwas-ys.jpg
(Remember) when the angels said, “O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God). He will speak to the people from his cradle and as a man, and he is of the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how can I have a child when no mortal has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be). God creates what He wills. If He decrees a thing, He says to it only, ‘Be!’ and it is.”
aqwas-ym.jpg
(Quran, 3:45-47)

Jesus was born miraculously by the command of God, the same command that had brought Adam into being with neither a father nor a mother. God has said:

aqwas-ys.jpg
The case of Jesus with God is like the case of Adam. He created him from dust, and then He said to him, “Be!” and he came into being.
aqwas-ym.jpg
(Quran, 3:59)

During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. ~Islam Guide: What Do Muslims Believe about Jesus?

HappyCamper said:
Muslim belief does not honor Jesus Christ of the Bible.
....and what's your source for that? Breitbart? Aren't there a few places where the Bible talks about not bearing false witness sowing discord?

As it's written on the church web site--they wish to celebrate together the similarities of their faith. To some people, that speaks love (when people can accept each other's free choice and respect and love them still). Didn't Jesus Himself say something about it being "easy" to love those that are just like us? Remember the parable of the Good Samaritan? I always thought the point of that was to break down bias and walls that separate people (as the Jews despised the Samaritans). Remember when Jesus went out of His way to walk through Samaria? Aren't we called to be like Him?

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are mistaken, my friend. The God of Abraham includes Jesus His Son.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not true.
The Qur'an is familiar with some of the biblical stories about Abraham, including his journey to the promised land (Qur’an 21:71-73), the annunciation of Isaac (Qur’an 11:69-74, Qur’an 15:51-56, Qur’an 51:24-30), God's command for Abraham to sacrifice his son (Qur’an 37:99-113), the sacrifice of the birds (Qur’an 2:260), and Abraham's interaction with Lot and the angels (Qur’an 11:74-83, Qur’an 29:28-35, Qur’an 51:31-37).

In the Qur’an, God calls upon people to "follow the religion of Abraham" (Qur’an 3:95). Abraham is the "model" of obedience to God (Qur’an 16:120) and the "friend of God," and no one can be "better in religion" (Qur’an 4:125) than those who follow him.

The Bible begins the narrative of Abraham's life with his call by God in Gen 12, but the Qur’an begins earlier, with the story of Abraham smashing the idols of his father. A number of close parallels exist between Jewish versions of this story (found in rabbinic literature) and the details provided by Muslim interpreters, including Abraham's discovery of monotheism (Qur’an 6:74-87, Qur’an 41:37), his scheme to disprove idolatry (Qur’an 19:41-50, Qur’an 21:51-70), and his escape from the fiery furnace into which he was cast as punishment by the Babylonian king Nimrod (Qur’an 37:83-99, Qur’an 29:16-27).~Abraham and Islam

Upvote 0