Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I consider these passages to be meat of the Bible concerning us being doers of God's Word. My favorite Bible is KJV, but I have a Parallel with the LIV which I used here for a little different flavor. I used these to motivate myself in being a servant to the poor and needy of my community by working with a church for the handicapped citizens. Lots of sweat envolved:

FEED THE POOR......... ECT. (LIV)

JOHN 17:3 And this is the way to have eternal life--by KNOWING you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth!

Jeremiah 22:16 He defended the cause of the POOR & NEEDY, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to KNOW me! declares the Lord.

I JOHN 4:7-3 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and KNOWS God. Whoever does not love does not KNOW God, because God is love.

I JOHN 3:16-19 THIS IS HOW we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can. the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with ACTIONS and TRUTH. This then is how we KNOW that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us.

Ezekiel 16:49 NOW THIS WAS THE SIN OF YOUR SISTER SODOM: SHE AND HER DAUGHTERS WERE ARROGANT, OVERFED AND UNCONCERNED: THEY DID NOT HELP THE POOR AND THE NEEDY. THEY WERE HAUGHTY AND DID DETESTABLE THINGS BEFORE ME. THEREFORE I DID AWAY WITH THEM, AS YOU HAVE SEEN.

JAMES 2:1-4-19 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "go I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is DEAD. But someone will say. "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I Do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder.

LUKE 6:31 If you love those who love you, what thanks can you expect? For even sinners do that Much. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what thanks can you expect? Even sinners lend to sinners to get back the same amount. INSTEAD ... love your enemies & do good, & lend without any hope of return.

LUKE 14:12-14 Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do. they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the POOR, the CRIPPLED. the LAME the BLIND, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Isaiah 58 (selected) Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins. For day after day they seek me out; the SEEM eager to Know my ways, AS IF they were a nation that does what is right and has not FORSAKEN THE COMMANDS OF ITS GOD ........You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high. Is not THIS the kind of fasting I have chosen: TO LOOSE THE CHAINS OF INJUSTICE AND UNTIE THE CORDS OF THE YOKE, TO SET THE OPPRESSED FREE AND BREAK EVERY YOKE, IS IT NOT TO SHARE YOUR FOOD WITH THE HUNGRY AND TO PROVIDE THE POOR WANDERER WITH SHELTER WHEN YOU SEE THE NAKED, TO CLOTHE HIM, AND NOT TO TURN AWAY FROM YOUR OWN FLESH... If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the HUNGRY and satisfy the NEEDS OF THE OPPRESSED, then you will find your light will rise in the darkness ............

OBEY GODS COMMANDS AND BE DOERS OF HIS WORD

Ezekial 33: 30-32 As For you, son of man, your people who talk of you by the walls and in the doors of the houses, say one to another, every one to his brother, "come, and hear what the word is that comes forth from the Lord. And they come to you as people come, and they sit before you as MY PEOPLE, and they hear the words you say, but they WILL NOT DO THEM. For with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goes after and is set on their (idolatrous greed for) gain. Lo you are to them as a very lovely (love) song of one who has a pleasant votce and can play well on an instrument, for they hear your words, BUT DO NOT DO THEM.

LUKE 6:46 Why do you call me "Lord, Lord" and not do what I say?

MATT. 7:21 It is NOT those who say to me "Lord, Lord" who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who DOES the will of my Father in heaven.

MATT. 25:31-45 When the Son of Man comes in his glory....He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.....Then he will say to those on his left,'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil & his angels. FOR I WAS HUNGRY & YOU GAVE ME NOTHING TO EAT, I WAS THIRSTY & YOU GAVE ME NOTHING TO DRINK, I WAS A STRANGER & YOU DID NOT INVITE ME IN, I NEEDED CLOTHES AND YOU DID NOT CLOTHE ME, I WAS SICK AND IN PRISON, AND YOU DID-- NOT LOOK AFTER ME.". "Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

I JOHN 2:3-6 We know that we have come to KNOW him if we OBEY his commands. The man who SAYS "I know God", but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: WHOEVER CLAIMS TO LIVE IN HIM MUST WALK AS JESUS DID.

I JOHN 3:24 Those who OBEY his commands live in him, and he in them.

I JOHN 5:3 For this is the love of God, to OBEY his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.

ACTS 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God gives to those who OBEY him.

HEBREWS 5:9 And having been made perfect, He became to all those who OBEY Him the source of salvation.

I PETER 4:17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

II THESSALONIANS 1:8 He will punish those who do not KNOW God and Do not OBEY the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power .......

JOHN 14:23 Jesus replied, " If anyone loves me, he will OBEY my teaching.
21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

WHAT ARE THE COMMANDS WE ARE SUPPOSE TO OBEY?

I JOHN 3:23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to LOVE one another as he commanded us.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN "TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER"?

I JOHN 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children let us not love in words or tongue but with ACTIONS and truth.

I JOHN 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all these worldly things, these evil desires-the craze for sex, the ambition to buy everything that appeals to you, and the pride that comes from wealth and importance- these are not from God. They are from the evil world itself.

JAMES 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and TO KEEP ONESELF FROM BEING POLLUTED BY THE WORLD.

MARK 4:18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word' but the worries of this life the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word.

JOHN 12:25 The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal 'life.

JAMES 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? An yone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

ACTS 26:19 1 preached first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and through Judea, and also to the Gentiles that all must forsake their sins and turn to God and prove their repentence by doing good deeds

II TlMOTHY 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, SO THAT the man of Good may be thoroughly equipped for every GOOD WORK.

EPHESIANS 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to DO GOOD WORKS, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

TITUS 2:14 Christ Jesus; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself a people for His own possession, ZEALOUS FOR GOOD DEEDS.

TITUS 3:8 I want you to speak confidently concerning these things, so that those who have believe. God may be careful to engage in GOOD DEEDS.

HEBREWS 10:24 ...and let us consider one another how to stimulate and provoke one another to love an, GOOD DEEDS and noble activities.

HEBREWS 13:16 Don't forget or neglect to do kindness and good, to be generous and distribute to the needy, for such sacrifices are well pleasing to God.

LUKE 14:21 Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the CRIPPLED, the BLIND and the LAME.

LUKE 14:12-14 When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the POOR, THE CRIPPLED, THE LAME, THE BLIND, AND YOU WILL BE BLESSED.

Micah 4:6-7 In that day, " declares the Lord, "I will assemble the LAME, AND GATHER THE OUTCASTS,EVEN THOSE WHOM I HAVE AFFLICTED, I will make the LAME A remnant and the Outcast a strong nation, and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zion from now on and forever.

Jeremiah 31:8 Behold, I am bringing them from the north country, And I will gather them from the remote parts of the earth, Among them the BLIND AND THE LAME .......

LUKE 4:18-19 "the Spirit of the Lord. is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the POOR. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the BLIND-to release the oppressed .....

MATTHEW 28:1.9-20 Therefore go and make DISCIPLES of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit, and TEACHING THEM TO OBEY EVERYTHING I HAVE COMMANDED YOU.

LUKE 14:33 In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my DISCIPLE

LUKE 14:26-27 If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother. his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-YES even his own life- he cannot be my DISCIPLE. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my DISCIPLE.

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord, ' will enter the kingdom of heaven but ONLY he who DOES the will of my Father who is in heaven.

REVELATIONS 2:23 All the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

REVELATIONS 20:12...And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. and the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them; and they were judged every man according to their works.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
One of my favorites, and one that keeps me motivated is:

Whoever gives to the poor, lends to the Lord. He will repay. Proverbs

And,

He who has a generous eye will be blessed, For he gives of his bread to the poor. Proverbs 22:9

And,

He who gives to the poor will not lack, But he who hides his eyes will have many curses. Proverbs 28:27

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise the Lord! I may have forgot to mention that I don't think we are saved by works, but only through Jesus and His sacrifice for us.

Eph.2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It is , however, very interesting how many scriptures there are about Works and deeds in scripture and how we can't ignore them or our neighbors needs.

Jesus second commandment says:

Matt. 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

To love ourself is wrongly represented as a self-esteem issue by many today, when the Bible tells us we must die to our self-life or deny self daily, as scripture tells us.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

The Bible tells us:Ephesians 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
So the practical application of love in Jesus' second commandment is not to self, but to our neighbors flesh, nourishment and needs. Jesus reflects this when He returns to seperate the sheep from the goats and says:

Matt. 25:31 ¶ When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Qooby dooby! :wave:

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey maybe we should all pray for courage and what-have-you to stick with it all...

We need to pray for each other that we will continue in DOING what the Word says. And not only that but also for ourselves...

Daddy,
Please give us the courage, strength, and wisdom to continue doing your will, and not just hearing it. I'm sorry I haven't stayed with it like I should. Please help me do it through your strength that my life may bring you glory.

Upvote 0

Theresa

With Reason
Nov 27, 2002
✟24,289.00
Faith
Catholic
I may have forgot to mention that I don't think we are saved by works, but only through Jesus and His sacrifice for us.

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Need I say more??? :rolleyes:

"We are in charge of the effort,

God will handle the results."

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish he didn't trust me so much."-Mother Teresa

Theresa  

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.