• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Know God through theology or know theology through God?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by zoidar, Jul 20, 2019.

1. To know God you need to understand theology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. To understand theology you need to know God

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+655
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Which is closer to your understanding?

I believe that theology can become a hindrance to know God. We can know about God through theology, but we know God through the Holy Spirit. Amen?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+1,025
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    If Theology is mans attempt to understand God then it is better to seek the truth of scripture through the revelations from the Holy Spirit. Take time out (years) to make a priority of this and you will have a foundation of truth to measure theology with.

3. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater Jesus Christ conquers! Supporter

+6,402
    Holy See (vatican City State)
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    False dichotomy I'm afraid. The two of them are interrelated far beyond the proposal suggested in this thread.

4. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+1,025
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    I spent more than 5 years prayerfully reading nothing but scripture and enjoy a foundation of truth that serves me enormously.

5. -Sasha-

-Sasha- Handmaid of God

+350
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think of a theologian as one who has experienced the things of God, so I guess I would answer the poll with "both".

6. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater Jesus Christ conquers! Supporter

+6,402
    Holy See (vatican City State)
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    As a theologian myself I concur.

7. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,222
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I won't pick one because I have experienced each one refining and strengthening the other.

8. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,148
    Catholic
    Married
    Yep, the purpose of the first is to bring you to the second. Often we get all caught up in the first.

9. zoidar

+655
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I chose on purpose only these two options in the poll so we have to choose the most correct one. ;)

10. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,506
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    When a blind man loses his non-functioning eyes, he has to learn all over again how to cope with blindness. Though it would seem that the eyes are merely reacting to the understanding of the brain, it is true that even blind eyes provide insight to the brain as to the dimensions of a room.

So it is with the relationship between correct doctrine and a relationship with the Holy Spirit. The first guides an understanding of the other, which, in turn, guides an understanding of the first. By looking to what we cannot see, we are able to understand what we learn.

11. zoidar

+655
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    When I got saved I didn't know much about theology at all. I had heard and read that Jesus died for our sins, and that we were sinners because of the fall of Adam. That was all I needed to be saved. I had no knowledge of differences in teachings between churches and denominations.