North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember the news about Tony Blair..some years ago.
- The former British Prime Minister.
He became a Catholic..
- Changed from the 'Anglican Church of England' to Catholicism.
---
It was interesting news..
I assume that.. he still is a Catholic.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Which 4 branches are you referring to? Catholic, Eastern orthodox and protestant, for me it's just 3.
Orientalist Orthodox probably, but I think mainline Protestant and Western Catholic are separate from traditionalist Protestant and Catholic, so that’s 5. (I count mainline and Western Protestant as part of the same branch.)

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the story of many protestants became Roman Catholic after they're exposed to church history and the church fathers. But I guess as an anglican, I don't see the appeal there, maybe anglican too is rich in history, the continuity is there unlike many modern protestant churches.. so I as a protestant I don't feel I need a leap..
I seriously doubt this. Why would someone who knows what salvation by grace means go back to religious rituals where one can give money and get relatives out of purgatory thinking?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the story of many protestants became Roman Catholic after they're exposed to church history and the church fathers. But I guess as an anglican, I don't see the appeal there, maybe anglican too is rich in history, the continuity is there unlike many modern protestant churches.. so I as a protestant I don't feel I need a leap..

I've met many Christians whose story is exactly the opposite of what you've described. They discover the history of Roman Catholicism and want nothing to do with the R.C. church.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've known Orthodox priests who have become RC, RC to Orthodox, Lutheran to Orthodox etc. I pray for all of them as I know that converting as a member of the clergy is incredibly difficult on them.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The more I read about Catholic Church history and beliefs, the more I appreciate its role in Christian history and the theology of the Church Fathers. However, it also reaffirms the fact that I am a solid Protestant at heart.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That describes the problem, not the solution.

There is one truth, you don’t get to choose what it is.

Abortion is right or wrong.

On every issue from baptismal method, necessity , regeneration , priesthood, massively different views on salvation, remarriage. Sacraments , Eucharist , lgbt issues, role of suffering , purgation etc etc etc , even modalism rather than trinity! (Some Pentecostals) There is almost every permutation out there.

Choosing all but one permutation is in essence choosing falsehood. Personal taste doesn’t ( or shouldn’t )come in to it.

It also illustrates the essence of the problem. Authority.
when a dispute takes place over doctrine, only the RC church claims a method to resolve it.

Calvin, Luther and zwingli had very different views on many subjects, their essential problem was sola scriptura , that there was then no way to resolve disputes other than endless schism, and in outlawing authority they also outlawed the New Testament, a product of the authority they outlawed. I also thought Luther somewhat dishonest, in disavowing the so called apocryphal books which he knew were in the septuagint: just because he disliked the theology. History shows RC didn’t add them, they were always there. Luther removed them! By what authority?

The myth of perspecuity of scripture. It clearly isn’t even so on fundamentals!

Protestants often seem United only in declaring Catholicism wrong, which rather deflects focus on the massive divisions in Protestantism.

I left Anglicanism for several reasons, one was lack of certainty over Eucharistic doctrine and practice, but equally big , it became apparent that the Anglican synod lacked unity over too many issues. How so if there is only one truth?

The question is “ where is authority” ?

That’s no disrespect to my Anglican friends, I met many holy people I admired along the way.

But the doctrinal disputes were a problem for me.

I believe that for most people the history in no way influences their selection of a denomination. People who spend time analyzing different denominational beliefs make their selection based on what is most compatible with their personal beliefs. Most people do not even get into that depth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I remember the news about Tony Blair..some years ago.
- The former British Prime Minister.
He became a Catholic..
- Changed from the 'Anglican Church of England' to Catholicism.
---
It was interesting news..
I assume that.. he still is a Catholic.
No doubt. In law, the Church of England IS the Catholic Church in England.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The RCC is full of revisionist history - for example, Peter was never pope in Rome.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Alas. The law of England has no bearing whatsoever on Gods law. The law of England can declare black is white to no avail. Jesus’ church is one.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The RCC is full of revisionist history - for example, Peter was never pope in Rome.
It’s somewhat fascinating that those almost 2000 years closer to the history than you are think the chair of Peter mattered.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said,
" In law, the Church of England is the Catholic Church in England."
- Meaning..the Church of England is part of 'the One, Holy,
Catholic and Apostolic Church' ?
---
Or Catholic Church( you wrote ) meaning RCC?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Trad Anglicans and Lutherans have plenty of church history to be proud of. Anglican Studies with Fr. McKinnon are excellent and square church history within the Prot context. He makes sense of church history and the Reformation. The Prayer Book is amazing and I use it often.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Alas. The law of England has no bearing whatsoever on Gods law. The law of England can declare black is white to no avail. Jesus’ church is one.
It was a lighthearted comment, Mike, although factually correct.

I don't think we need fight over it.;)

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One's uphill and the other downhill?
Drake needs to know these things in case he sails the passage. (With his usual intentions of sinking Catholic ships)
I know this was light hearted and I hate to drop weight on a light comment; but the Bosphurus was well chosen by Constantine for it's military defensibility. Rome on the other hand is very hard to defend. Since Constantine moved his capital, Rome has been sacked 21 times. Constantinople would last another 1000 years without falling, though it was sacked during the Fourth Crusade by crusaders.

Upvote 0