Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
our dog was 2 when we adopted our child at age 2
so our dog & child have grown up together
our only child even called the dog her sister

we lost our sweet dog yesterday
we're all crying but I feel horrible for our preteen as she lost her best friend

she said right away she doesn't want another pet as she can't go through this again

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

we're all crying but I feel horrible for our preteen as she lost her best friend

she said right away she doesn't want another pet as she can't go through this again

Will be praying for your peace at this extremely hard time, Christine40. Especially for your daughter's peace; it looks like she has felt a particular loss from this. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

RN111

Site Supporter
May 11, 2020
Bethal
✟55,774.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed it's horrible to lose a pet. I grew up also with our cat (the cat was a bit older than me), she passed away when I was around 13. Really horrible to lose a family pet. She had a long life. I was really upset. I will pray for you and your family.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Prayers and blessings for you, christine, and your family members. I am sad with you.

This is the advice board. Is there a question or a specific point about the grief being experienced for which advice is being solicited?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Losing a pet is always heart wrenching but after a period of mourning most of us are ready and will even benefit from having a new pet. For a child the death of a pet can also be a very valuable maturing experience. Most of us live in a society where we are well insulated from the reality of death and it is well for a child to know the reality and the finality of death. Death too is a part of life.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone for your kind words!

@Josheb
this is the "Parenting" forum under life stages
My bad. I stand corrected.

However the inquiry remains valid. Was there a question to which an answer was sought or a condition for which additional commentary was sought? Or is this just an "fyi, y'all"? :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
from above article:

"Pets are our companions, walking pals, sounding boards, even bedmates. They love us in good times and bad. They cheer us up, make us laugh and stick by our sides.

That’s why losing a pet can be even more traumatic than losing a family member, and the grieving process is similar, psychologists say.

“Pets provide us with so much love that the loss is almost more than what we'd experience losing a human loved one,” says Kristine Kevorkian, Ph.D., a Los Angeles end-of-life and grief counselor."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums