• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Kneel to read the Bible?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by Ryan2021, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Ryan2021

Ryan2021 New Member

+8
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    i'm a 35 year old male who has stayed distant from God for most of my life, when i thought about God i considered myself Agnostic. In the last year or so i've started feeling differently and feeling more open to God and feeling like i want to seek God. I started reading the bible and for the first 100 or so pages it wasn't registering with me and i felt bored/annoyed reading it. I was reading it while lying or sitting on my bed and i just kept wanting to stop reading.

But then after i got past 100 pages something changed and i started to feel it. And i suddenly decided to kneel with my hands behind my back and read the bible on my knees. Something changed and i felt really good and i felt like i was drunk even though i hadn't even had any alcohol at all and i just read on my knees for about an hour and i didn't even want to stop but by then i needed a break so i had to.

This literally only happened today. I'm still a very very long way away from really understanding God and serving and worshipping him the correct way. i feel that i've made a start on the journey but i need some help and support to guide me.

I guess my question really is which is the best way to read the bible? Is kneeling to read the best way? i feel like for me i should probably kneel because it felt right and that was when i finally started to understand what i was reading and pay it attention. When sitting or lying down i was not doing very well with it much to my shame and i guess kneeling is the best way to show God some respect?

Sorry if i seem dumb or asked stupid things, i really am just starting to find God after spending all my life keeping my distance. so i'm a very new Christian and it can be a bit scary but at the same time its exciting.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ High Church Lutheran ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+4,890
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I would suppose it is best for whatever way resonates for you to read and meditate on the Word. I could not kneel myself, I have back issues that preclude kneeling for any length of time. Personally sitting at a desk or table works well for studying the Word for me, but for casual reading of it I usually sit on the couch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. MMXX

MMXX Jesus Loves You

+928
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    That's good news. Connecting with God for the first time can be a bit of a rollercoaster.

Read the Bible in whatever way works best for you :)

4. Gary O'

Gary O' Active Member

+280
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My experience has been after reading The Bible, in any position, I am humbled
    Yes, kneeling has been good for me
    I mean, we should be in close communication with God when we are reading His Book
    Seems kneeling would be commendable

I remember my grandad, not long after his conversion
    I was around six or seven
    He was plagued with Parkinson's
    Couldn't do certain things
    Kneeling was one of them
    I cracked the the door open to his study
    He was on all fours, praying

Knowing God is humbling

Studying what His Son did for us (even me) always debases any prideful thoughts that creep in from time to time

Kneeling is good

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,483
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    As has been said, what ever helps you to understand do it.

May I suggest a couple of things.
    Alternate reading a couple of Old Testament chapters with reading a couple of New Testament chapters.
    The Old Testament can be very hard going, many people start with either the book of Matthew or the book of John. What ever you do may I suggest writing in a note book what passage you read, what struck you in that passage and why and what you prayed about.

Last comment do get in touch with a church near you, I'd recommend using the christianityexplored web site to findout about churches and then view there web pages.

6. xaris

xaris Active Member

+247
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Where our hearts go, our knees will follow.
    Pondering on the fact that the God and Creator of this universe, humbled Himself to the point of death on a cross for us undeserving sinners should be a good start in bringing us to our knees in grateful humility.

7. Ennon Slegers

Ennon Slegers New Member

+1
    Sri Lanka
    Christian
    Married
    Keep it a non-negotiable practice to read a portion of scripture daily. You can read the bible along with the video I post here and many other scripture readings. Please let me know if this is helpful and if you need more. God bless you!

8. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,222
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    You can if you want. You don't have to. Do consider whether you'll still be able to do that when you're 65 or 75. If you won't, then you may wish to adopt a more sustainable devotional practice.

9. ken777

ken777 "to live is Christ, and to die is gain"

+658
    Christian
    Married
  10. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+3,283
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    How much of a traditionalist are you?

The first Council of Nicaea that gave us the Creed (one has to ascribe to in order to be considered Christian on this forum), also passed a canon prohibiting kneeling on Sundays and during the period of Pentecost. Kneeling was considered to be a penitential practice and therefore most appropriate during Lent. Standing was the proper posture for prayer. That's why if you visit an Eastern Orthodox Church you should wear comfortable shoes - they stand to this day.

The rubrics of my own church say the people may "stand or kneel." Placing "stand" first in order signifies it is preferred. Yet in reality 95% kneel. Go figure.

11. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,009
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We have the Great Vespers of Pentecost which is known as Kneeling Vespers. We make up 50 days of no kneeling with a service pretty much spent on our knees that evening. Kneeling while reading the scriptures is acceptable :)