Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I voted no but use the AV as my main Bible believing the underlying manuscripts were "immediately inspired by God, and by his singular care and providence kept pure in all ages, are therefore authentic; so as in all controversies of religion, the church is finally to appeal to them." (1.8 London Baptist Confession of Faith, 1689)

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I too voted no but I too use the KJV almost exclusively. I have and use several other translations but I preach and teach exclusively from the KJV. I find the KJV to be as good as any other and in many cases better in certain words. An example would be the word charity translated from the Greek agape. It conveys the actual meaning of the word much better than simply saying love. But other translation are legitimate and often help to see a passage from a slightly different perspective because of wording.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟67,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I voted no because I prefer a word for word translation, as closely as is possible and thus prefer the NASB. There can never be a, perfect, word for word for word but the KJV is a good bit to much idea for idea for me. I found my LORD through the KJV ai still compare to it and others to teach but the English used is a complete study in and of itself.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I too voted no but I too use the KJV almost exclusively. I have and use several other translations but I preach and teach exclusively from the KJV. I find the KJV to be as good as any other and in many cases better in certain words. An example would be the word charity translated from the Greek agape. It conveys the actual meaning of the word much better than simply saying love. But other translation are legitimate and often help to see a passage from a slightly different perspective because of wording.
Kind of similar to my thoughts and practice, I guess. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, because its manuscripts are less than ideal by the admission of the translators and Erasmus who devised the printed Greek works which constituted the KJV translation. If even Erasmus did not give it a 100% stamp of approval, why do we commit that error today? It's irrational.

I recommend this for viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrptikLjq8

Upvote 0

Daniel1611

Dec 14, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
✟15,133.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Which edition of the KJV? Are you a supporter of the Apocrypha in the KJV of 1611? Do you read a copy of the 1611 edition?

There are no differences between the 1611 and the KJV we have today except the font and some spelling changes. I don't consider the Apocrypha as inspired scripture because it wasn't consider inspired and we don't have it in the original Hebrew.

Also, I recommend the book Defending the King James Bible to everyone. I also saw good documentaries called "New World Order Bible Versions" and one called "A Lamp in the Dark." Both are on youtube.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no differences between the 1611 and the KJV we have today except the font and some spelling changes. I don't consider the Apocrypha as inspired scripture because it wasn't consider inspired and we don't have it in the original Hebrew.

Also, I recommend the book Defending the King James Bible to everyone. I also saw good documentaries called "New World Order Bible Versions" and one called "A Lamp in the Dark." Both are on youtube.

NWO Bible Versions is drivel. Watch the above Youtube video I posted.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I am not the slightest bit interested in defending the KJV. You don't seem to understand that when Erasmus compiled his Greek MSS for the Textus Receptus there was only a handful of them from about the 10th century. Erasmus could not find one of them that had the last 6 verses of the Book of Revelation so what did he do. He had access to the Latin Vulgate so he translated from the Vulgate to the Greek.

As a result, since the time of Erasmus many Greek MSS have been found that are earlier those those in the Textus Receptus and not one of those MSS agrees with Erasmus's translation to Greek, word for word.

In addition, the language of the KJV of 1611 is quite different to the 1769 revision that I have, which is one of the common ones being sold today.

However, the Apocrypha was in the 1611 edition of the KJV. Since you support the KJV, it should be consistent to affirm the Apocrypha as it was included in the 1611 KJV.

There are many more MSS closer to the originals than those used by Erasmus for the Textus Receptus, and thus the KJV.

Regards,
Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I voted no, I am not KJV only, because of some of the issues mentioned above. I prefer the NKJV myself, especially with footnotes marking the differences between the TR and other MSS, as well as the more modern language. I've read other translations, and I know exactly why people prefer certain translations such as the ESV over the KJV/NKJV, but I have my preference.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not the slightest bit interested in defending the KJV. You don't seem to understand that when Erasmus compiled his Greek MSS for the Textus Receptus there was only a handful of them from about the 10th century. Erasmus could not find one of them that had the last 6 verses of the Book of Revelation so what did he do. He had access to the Latin Vulgate so he translated from the Vulgate to the Greek.

As a result, since the time of Erasmus many Greek MSS have been found that are earlier those those in the Textus Receptus and not one of those MSS agrees with Erasmus's translation to Greek, word for word.

In addition, the language of the KJV of 1611 is quite different to the 1769 revision that I have, which is one of the common ones being sold today.

However, the Apocrypha was in the 1611 edition of the KJV. Since you support the KJV, it should be consistent to affirm the Apocrypha as it was included in the 1611 KJV.

There are many more MSS closer to the originals than those used by Erasmus for the Textus Receptus, and thus the KJV.

Regards,
Oz
..but those MSS Erasmus used were broadly representative of the majority.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There's power in the blood!
Colossians 1:14

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Satan hates the Atoning Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, so we shouldn't be surprised to find the blood missing in modern translations:

NIV....... redemption, the forgiveness of sins

NASB... redemption, the forgiveness of sins

NRSV... redemption, the forgiveness of sins

REB..... our release is secured and our sins are forgiven

NWT.... we have our release by ransom, the forgiveness of sins

NAB...... redemption, the forgiveness of our sins

It's not about Erasmus,he simply presented the error of translation in the Vulgate.

It's about if what you read is the inspired Word of God and does it support the Devine nature of Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.