Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by Hector Medina
Hello,

I heard that the KJV is the only Bible version that is not influenced by the devil.

Is this true?

Hector

You must have heard that from someone who thinks God speaks English.

1. There were quite a few versions of the Bible BEFORE the KJV. Now where did the translators of the KJV get an un-diabolical version to translate from?

2. Not everyone speaks English, and even fewer people speak or understand the 300+ years old English of the original KJV.

So definitly, this is NOT true.

Upvote 0

owen_rocks

May 14, 2002
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Hector Medina
Hello,

I heard that the KJV is the only Bible version that is not influenced by the devil.

Is this true?

Hector

I heard the NT Greek and OT Hebrew versions were pretty accurate.
;)

Seriously...though..I've heard some unconvincing arguments that newer translations are based upon greek texts that were derived from "modern textual criticism" which to their minds is evil and influenced by the devil.

o_r

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
EEEEYACH. :sick: KJV onlyism is a form of idolatry.
http://www.atlantaapologist.org/kjv.html
and a less scholarly page although i do not agree with all he says
http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/kjv.htm
JG, I'm sorry if you're reading this as a guest, however, there is a difference between revering the KJV as a wonderful translation (it is) and saying all other versions are of the devil.
BTW I read KJV, NKJV, and NASB. I occasionally quote from the NIV but not the gender neutral NIV.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
There are a number of arguments used by the KJV-onlyists, but they fall into just a few categories:

1. Comparison of a newer version to the KJV, especially showing how the newer version has "removed" references to Jesus, salvation, etc. Of course, this type of argument assumes that the KJV is correct as its basis. It also dishonestly presents the "removal" of the references as a concious effect by the translators to attack Christianity rather than simply an analysis of manuscripts.

2. Assumption that a reading contained in the majority of manuscripts is correct. Newer versions operate on a basis of "older" and "more authoritative" rather than simply a majority.

3. A number of ad hominem arguments. These include the idea that the KJV translators were geniuses whose scholarship can never be equalled, as well as attacks against the character and religious beliefs of Westcott and Hort (which also relies on a faulty assumption that these two people alone are responsible for modern Greek texts).

4. Statements on the decline of morality since the introduction of newer versions. Usually involves implications or direct statements that the newer versions are to blame for the decline (sometimes a reason is appended to this, such as "the newer versions are harder to memorize than the KJV so people don't know the Bible as well").

5. Dismissal of claims that the KJV is hard to read. Often involves such absurd statements as "KJV is written with a 4th grade reading level" or "The archaic words define themselves with the context of the passages".

6. Sometimes bible verses are quoted which talk about "scripture", and then some statement is made along the lines of "God must have preserved his word somewhere, so if it's not the KJV, what is it?"

There are other arguments, but all of the main ones I can think of fall into these lines.

-Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Julie

Could God be an idolater then?

Doesn't seem likely.

I haven't seen God say that only the KJV is valid. I would have a hard time believing that, for 1200 years, no one had access to any kind of accurate Bible until the KJV came out.

Upvote 0

owen_rocks

May 14, 2002
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
I found a good website that shows somes of the
flaws in the KJO view.

www.kjvonly.org

Before anybody starts buying any of the KJVO arguments please read some of the articles on this page first.

Beware of Peter Ruckman. Even many KJVO defenders
distance themselves from him

Example:
http://www.wayoflife.org/articles/ruckman.htm

What is AMAZING to me, is that even if when you compare the Critical Texts and the Textus Receptus there is NO Christian doctrine that is called into question by the differences. Even if 1 Jn. 5:7 (TR version) isn't in there the Trinity is still taught in many other verses!

We should PRAISE God the Greek has been preserved so well (whether you use TR or CT) and move on and focus on more important matters.

peace,
owen_rocks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

owen_rocks

May 14, 2002
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, Praise God isn't the Greek a blessing!

Why are you afraid of a man?

The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. Proverbs 29:25

Not afraid of him, but his teaching is dangerous, divisive and profitless.

1Ti 6:3-5 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,
and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.

Upvote 0

Julie

ONLY JESUS CHRIST SAVES
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
✟9,327.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, thanks owen_rocks.

1 Timothy 6
3Some false teachers may deny these things, but these are the sound, wholesome teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ, and they are the foundation for a godly life. 4Anyone who teaches anything different is both conceited and ignorant. Such a person has an unhealthy desire to quibble over the meaning of words. This stirs up arguments ending in jealousy, fighting, slander, and evil suspicions. 5These people always cause trouble. Their minds are corrupt, and they don't tell the truth. To them religion is just a way to get rich.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Ok, thanks owen_rocks.

Sheesh, I think you guys can stop the "Bible verses duel", that doesn't do anyone any service.

Also, that site is full of inflammatory language and insults towards non-KJV believers.

The pages you are providing are the usual KJV-onlyist tripe. His "4 points" are nonsense, and the claim that no one has ever discussed those 4 points is a flat-out lie, I've seen discussions of all of those (maybe not specifically directed at this person, but discussions nonetheless) on other pages.

Also, the whole thing is a straw man and a false dichotomy. It's not KJV vs. the original greek, it's KJV vs. newer translations. If you know greek, you can check the greek if you're unsure about the specifics of a passage.

So let's look at the four points:
1. You can read it and memorize it (the AV).
You cannot do so with the "originals."

If you learn Greek you certainly can memorize and read the originals. And of course you can memorize passages from the NRSV or NIV or NAB. And finally, why is memorizing verses so important? Isn't it much better to understand what the meaning of the teaching is rather than the word-for-word phrase? You can do that with any translation, including the KJV.

2. It has been responsible for more than ten times as many
people being saved as all the "original autographs" combined.

This is irrelevant. Bibles do not save people. There is also no way to prove this -- where do we get statistics on how many people were saved using Greek and Hebrew bibles?

3. It is in the universal language of the end-time,
whereas Greek has been stone dead for seventeen centuries.
4. It has space separations between words and sentences,
which the "originals" did not

This is why we use translations, like the NRSV. The KJV is an outdated translation, however.

I don't know of anyone who recommends that you only read the original texts. The usual recommendation is to read a modern translation but refer to the Greek or Hebrew original for clarification if needed.

-Chris

Upvote 0

Julie

ONLY JESUS CHRIST SAVES
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
✟9,327.00
Faith
Christian
And finally, why is memorizing verses so important?

Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 12:48
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.