Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks you for this. It reminded me of a certain story from the Desert Fathers... I hope it's ok to post it:

Quote:
“They said of Abba Macarius the Egyptian that one day he went up from Scetis to the mountain of Nitria. As he approached the place he told his disciple to go on ahead. When the latter had gone on ahead, he met a priest of the pagans. The brother shouted after him saying, "Oh, oh, devil, where are you off to?" The priest turned back and beat him and left him half dead. Then picking up his stick, he fled. When he had gone a little further, Abba Macarius met the pagan priest running and said to him, "Greetings! Greetings, you weary (hard working) man!" Quite astonished, the other came up to him and said, "What good do you see in me, that you greet me in this way?" The old man said to him, "I have seen you wearing yourself out without knowing that you are wearing yourself out in vain." The other said to him, "I have been touched by your greeting, and I realize that you are on God's side. But another wicked monk who met me insulted me and I have given him blows enough for him to die of them." The old man realized that he was referring to his disciple. Then the pagan priest fell at the feet of Macarius and said, "I will not let you go till you have made me a monk." When they came to the place where the brother was, they put him onto their shoulders and carried him to the church in the mountain. When the people saw the priest with Macarius, they were astonished and made him a monk. Through him many pagans became Christians. So Abba Macarius said, "One evil word makes even the good evil, while one good word makes even the evil good."

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
“The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
he is filled with kindness.”
Psalms 145:17

"Kindness is a language that deaf people can hear
and that blind people can see."
[Chuck Swindoll]View attachment 271106

Amen. There is no un-kindness in anything the Lord does. His kindness is perfect and holy and is always "spot on". It is a miracle that He changes our hearts and transforms them to be capable of His splendid kindness, and with no strings attached, but only that one delights in doing kindnesses, and in particular, the random and anonymous kind. :)

Lovely and profound picture and verse.

Thank you for this wunnerful morning meditation and spiritual work-out on this partially cloudy and relatively mild Wednesday morning in January.

God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0