San Fran Bay Area
✟7,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone tell me the differences between these two? Pros and cons of each?

Also...If you get a Nook can you get the free books on Amazon that are for Kindles or do you need a Kindle.

I have never had one, and it's all very confusing to me, but i'd like to get one. I keep seeing free books on Amazon but just wanted to know the differences and which one you prefer.

Also, with either one, can you get books on the library?

PetsR4Me

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My brother has a Kindle (Amazon) and my husband has a Nook (Barnes & Noble). Barnes & Nobles claim they sell more books than Amazon because Amazon sells more 'stuff' which makes them big. You can't get Kindle books for the Nook and vice versa. However, you can download free apps from either place and view/read the books on your computer, smartphone, or tablets. I don't see any difference in the quality of viewing/reading between the Kindle and the Nook. It's personal preference. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Kimiad

Eternal pilgrim
Jan 15, 2013
Paris (France)
✟7,671.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Kindle!! I also prefer the old Kindle as opposed to the Kindle Fire. I have both, but find reading on the Fire gives me a headache.

That's why I bought the simple Kindle and not the Fire one. The screen is just perfect for reading (except in the dark, you need a light) . I was sceptical at first but now I really enjoy it. ;)

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with what PetsR4Me said. I am not sure there are less books available from Kindle than the Nook. That may be PR from the company. I do find that the books for Kindle can be both free or at nicely reduced prices. Also, when I have gone to SciFi conventions, several of the book authors publish on Kindle but not Nook. So it seems a bit more widely accepted. Another advantage is that if you already order lot of stuff from Amazon and have a card on file, it's REALLY simple to order anything for the kindle. Books, games, TV episodes. Just get it from the Amazon store and with a simple click, it's downloaded and Amazon sends you an email telling you what you ordered and for how much. I have done this for games too and they have a nice selection of FREE games. Then, you get a choice to load it to the cloud or right onto the unit. Much of the time, I turn off WiFi so I don't get interrupted by all the ads that come with freebie games.

Yes, there are problems with reading out in the sun. One reason I still love carrying a 'real' book.

One final thing to consider. Rumor has it that Barnes & Noble is struggling. It was one of those companies that might close stores and lay off employees. I am NOT certain this will happen. But if B&N is suffering financially, getting many choices for their tablet may be difficult. Again not sure about any of this. So do some research. I did find this today but it's not the one I read about the forecasted lay-offs: Barnes & Noble sells fewer Nooks, retail revenue falls | Reuters

So again, I'd say do your research.

Upvote 0

PetsR4Me

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just saw on another forum that Kindle is the better choice for a number of reasons:

1. "The DRM on Kindle is encoded based on the device's ID. On Nook, it's based on the CC on your account. Which can be a problem if you have to change the credit card! I've heard of people who had a card compromized and had to get a new one and lost access to their nook books. It was a nightmare getting it back -- if they even did."

2. Customer service is exceptional at Amazon and less than acceptable at B&N.

3. "As of last week there was 1.9 million books at Amazon. New books are being added at about 50,000 a month."

4. Amazon is more user-friendly than B&N and Amazon has a nice return policy.

It looks like it all boils down to customer service since both devices are all right and Amazon wins! Also, I did read in the news a couple weeks ago that several "Borders" bookstores have closed... I think they're part of B&N?

Upvote 0

lipensfan

Oct 9, 2012
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do NOT buy a Nook. Amazon will have "same day receiving" sitewide (or close) by the end of 2013. This means that if you order a product by noon you will get it at your door by 7PM the same day. Once this happens, every big boxer is in serious trouble.

I'd be shocked if B&N goes beyond 2014. They will be the next Borders pretty soon. Once that happens, the Nook that you bought is pretty much dead.

I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire either. And this, for me, is just a value issue. The price of the Fire is (8.9 inch HD) is $269 with offers.

The Ipad Mini (16GB) is $329 (no offers). The two devices don't even compare. The Ipad is miles beyond the Fire.

I'd buy the Ipad Mini and download the free apps for Nook, Ibooks and Kindle. Then you'll be able to read whatever you want, plus do so much more as opposed to the Kindle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums