MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone! :wave: I haven't been at this forum for a while! (Or Christian Forums in general).

I'm just wondering about the Eastern understanding about something. I realize that the Eastern Catholic understanding might be or might not be different from the Orthodox one, on this point.. I really don't know! But if anyone knows the Catholic OR Orthodox view, please let me know cause they might be similar here ?

October 1st is the feast of the Protection of the Mother of God according to the Gregorian calendar.

I read that in the East, people are also encouraged to not work on major feast days. Would this feast day be one of them? Would it be wrong to work on this day?

Please share any thoughts! thanks! :)

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Im not familiar with taking off on this day. The thing is certain feast days in traditional Orthodox countries are national holidays. August 15th The Dormition is a holiday in Greece where in some villages the entire year revolves around such as Olymbos in Karpathos. March 25th theAnnunciation is so popular that the Greeks decided to claim their Independance from the Turks took place on this day back in 1821, etc

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the replies!

Is it just for the 12 Major feasts that you're encouraged not to work, or others too?

This feast day (on the 1st) is most common in Slavic countries, rather than Greece :) I don't know if it was a national holiday ever in the past - I mean before the communist revolution.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here in Greece the Feast of the Protection of the Theotokos has been moved to 28 October because she helped the Greeks during WW2. It is also coincides with the national holiday "Oxi" day when Metaxas said "No" to Mussolini.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Monica - have you discussed this with your priest - either Latin or EC ?

This is really a matter for him

I'm planning to ask! it came up last night and I had to make a last minute decision! I only found out about this feast yesterday. I ended up not working because I work "on call" and it's up to me to take the day's job or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums