Kind Advice Only: What do you do when Christians will not discuss Scripture with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be a little friendlier please.
I am autistic. My tone is often (unintentionally) mistaken for unfriendly, and my presentation, black & white.

I just know, from experience, that God is more dynamic than my limited understanding of the Truth. If the other person doesn't receive it, now, God can bring it back to them when they are ready to hear it (even for this dialogue). Sometimes it feels like an affront when that happens.

Either way, I will have spoken according to the Spirit.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend;
but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." Proverbs 27:6 KJV

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am autistic. My tone is often (unintentionally) mistaken for unfriendly, and my presentation, black & white.

I just know, from experience, that God is more dynamic than my limited understanding of the Truth. If the other person doesn't receive it, now, God can bring it back to them when they are ready to hear it (even for this dialogue). Sometimes it feels like an affront when that happens.

Either way, I will have spoken according to the Spirit.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend;
but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." Proverbs 27:6 KJV

This is not about tone. You were attempting to find fault in what I wrote several times. But again, I am not here to quarrel or argue with you. I merely want friendly advice; I do not want to debate here and neither do I desire any kind of criticism, either.

May God's goodness be upon you.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you do when Christians will not discuss Scripture with you?
In day-to-day person-to-person interaction (offline), I just keep discussing the Word with them, praying for our eyes to be opened to what we're not seeing but are supposed to see during any disagreements about God. I pray for wisdom on how to communicate the Truth without compromising context of His Word in conversation. Sometimes it's tempting to compromise or just shutdown altogether when people throw out that favorite go-to word "legalism". It's tempting to give up. So, that's one reason to really pray and seek the Lord for wisdom.

Online, it's worse. I become very selective online. I pray for us as believers because I care what direction we're going in in Modern Christianity. And I participate in a very few threads now when there seems to be fruitful discussion. But arguing could be a form of entertainment for thread readers that just doesn't yield any spiritual growth results for anybody. That's something I'm still learning.

Essentially, when somebody who professes faith in Christ refuses to discuss Scripture with me, I just have to seek the Lord on how, from my end, I can get the Word communicated effectively - for the purpose of seed of the Word being planted.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
On my many discussions over the years on various different Christian forums, I have discovered that many do not actual discuss or explain all of the verses or portions of Scripture that I bring forth. Instead, some of them will quote their select pet verses from an a-skewed point of view or they go on some kind of strange discussion that is not even found in the Scriptures.

The problem isn't christians refusing to discuss scripture, it's their refusal (and even phobia) of applying reason in the discussion. You can't bring in real life examples, data, or anything to help assist scriptural teachings. It has to be strictly a verse vs verse debate. One guy brings up chapters from James, Jude, etc then the other guy will bring up from John, Acts, whatever.. any real life examples or logical methods are ignored and treated as insignificant.
-

Why is it wrong to bring up examples to show a different circumstance so that the person can engage in thinking or seeing that maybe their interpretation is wrong due to the logic holes and even statistical data showing the impossibility of it? How can an interpretation of a book just be discussed by other contents with in the book only? It's like 70% of the Christians i've met here have a huge prejudice towards rationalism.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On my many discussions over the years on various different Christian forums, I have discovered that many do not actual discuss or explain all of the verses or portions of Scripture that I bring forth. Instead, some of them will quote their select pet verses from an a-skewed point of view or they go on some kind of strange discussion that is not even found in the Scriptures.

My personal favourite is when the quote C.S Lewis or some theologian. Just scripture, thanks!

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You learn the lesson and stop trying or expecting Christians to dance to your tune. Sometimes it is not the scripture that puts a person off it is the way the other person in the discussion discusses it. It's easy to become a bore with a bible.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ALL christians view scripture through they eyes of their tradition - as no doubt do you: some state it others do not - and part of that tradition is verses that support their interpretation, so they quote to defend their own tradition which means by the way "faith handed down" which was incidentally the only mechanism in the early church: it would be several hundred years and the authority of the church, before the canon we call the new testament was finally determined and ratified with the power to "bind and loose"

It would be almost another two millenia (very recent history) before all could own and read a bible. So modern day so called "bible christians" - where all argue the merits or demerits of verses is a phenomenon not possible till recent historic times, when now people can read, and afford a bible. So that is why the faith was handed down, "paradosis" "traditions" as the main vehicle. Also why stories were told through pictures in stained glass.

As example: You will find just as vociferous support for "once saved always saved" as for those opposing it, both quoting different verses to do so. There are those resolutely supporting "real presence in the sacrament eucharist " as those saying it is only symbolic or memorial. Because the quoting of verses and ignoring of some, is how apriori traditions are supported. Most of the denominations have "articles" or "creeds" - as do many non denoms as a piece of irony!

Let me pick an example: John 20:23 - which not only gives the power to forgive, it also gives the power to RETAIN sin, so icannot be explained away as "spreading the gospel to result in forgiveness" which does not address the issue of "retain" - sot it must be a delegated power to forgive or retain. ie a sacrament - which does not give people the power themselves, it is delegated by our Lord so a channel for Him.

But If I use that verse:
I have no doubt you will quickly google a rebuttal that doesnt make sense, or alternatively go silent- or hop onto a different subject compeltely . Its what christians do. Or you will do what many christians do. Many are happy to say what some verses DONT mean, ( you will oppose the idea that is sacramental confession, because of your tradition that says it is not) but you will be far less happy to say what John 20:23 does mean instead.

So some of us go back and find out what the first church taught :
those taught by apostles themseleves and we see - in ignatius , he and polycarp taught by John the apostle - a sacramental eucharist valid ONLY if performed by bishops in succession or their appointees, in a liturgical, sacramental church. That is what they taught and as St Paul says "stay true to the tradition we taught you by word of mouth and letter".

But that doctrine (and therefore biblical interpretation of John 6) is not possible for a non denom since you have no succession bishops. So that is the meaning of John 6: John was taught by our Lord an knew what it meant, and that is what he passed on. Nobody seriously doubted it for the next thousand years!!!! Only now do people argue!

Only in the reformation did they try to separate the words of scripture from tradition that gave it meaning which is when all the arguments started: and also when all of the "confessions" and "articles" also began as the reformation churches defined their tradition. Faith handed down.

The upshot is you cannot view scripture without authority and traditiona, and it is that which causes some to quote some verses (in support of that cause) ignoring the verses that dont support them.} or simply failing to discuss them.

Catholics are different only in that we acknowledge the vital role of faith handed down to hand down meaning. And it is by studying that early church history and fathers, many of us come back to catholicism from elsewhere including thousands of theologians and ministers of every other denomination. But those stories are rarely heard.

The rest ALL also view scripture through their tradition shaped lenses, but are different only in they fail to acknowledge it - also their "tradition" doesnt start with the earliest fathers in many cases. It appears out of nowhere in middle ages or later. Like the symbolic only eucharist.

So out of curiosity will you discuss John 20:23 with me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My impression is that "Christian Forums" are made up mainly of the denominationally indoctrinated. Who have never studied beyond their constraints. Rarely do you find anyone who studied objectively for years before landing on a position.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that is the attitude Paul and others had. When a person was in error about the resurrection, he did not let them be, but he corrected them on it in 1 Corinthians 15.

Then you are deliberately entering confrontation with those Christians you think need correcting...and you're surprised they push back?

I've followed, to a lesser or greater extent, the topics you have opened for a good while now, and I see that other Christians do introduce scripture and the interpretation of it that they have discovered or learned.

The fact that they don't necessarily stick to the particular verses you've built your own argument around to prove your own point does not meant they won't or aren't discussing scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many people who post scripture wanting to discuss it, don't want to "discuss" it. They already think they know what it means. They just want to correct everyone else who doesn't share their interpretation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Paul got into a disagreement with Barnabus and it apparently became so heated they had to part ways... so it happens and fundamentally there is a difference about something and if it cannot be reconciled perhaps it is best to simply disengage from the conversation and stop commenting.

You could also try and bring only one point at a time up and keep repeating that point until it is addressed to your satisfaction but this can escalate and creates tension. This also may be difficult as the other poster may just be like a broken record, I would then state your issues clearly about the dialogue and if they do not change say goodbye.

And of course, if you think their conduct is inappropriate you can report them. With reporting sometimes you never know how an issue is addressed. I've personally never had a "formal warning" (whatever that is) but I have got reminders from the admins which I assume is from the result of someone reporting me (and I appreciate it). So even though nothing is taken down or nothing is changed an admin did address the issue.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You mean Christians are unwilling to discuss the most important thing in their life? Are you sure they're Christian? There's a marked difference in discussing and arguing. I eat lunch with a licensed minister who is only willing to discuss prophecy. He's unwilling to discuss anything about salvation. Personally I don't think he can defend anything about Christianity. I think he'll be very happy to lead a person to slaughter. That means cause them to become religious by coming to church.

I don't find people at church talking about Jesus the supposed reason for attending. They'll attend and can't remember anything that happened that isn't emotional. Even the speaker can't tell you what they spoke about 2-3 days later. I get plenty of hi, how are you from store clerks.Even they ask can I help you. Don't ask them a question about items in the store. They don't know anything but how to take your money. There is the rare informed clerk and they're a delight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,927.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I discuss scripture no matter what, because I believe it to be the standard by which a Christian lives and thinks. But there is some level of reasoning that must be done in order to properly discern the truth of it. Thus we have discussions and debates as to what it might mean.

If someone keeps harping the same interpretation and doesn't listen to reason, there cannot be any progress in the discussion, and that's when I stop discussing the matter. I don't want to keep wasting their time or mine on discussions that go nowhere. If I wrote a clear and correct exegesis, that is enough for other readers to discern what's true.

The challenge that I see is to explain the scripture in such a way that is clear and reasonable to the context of scripture - not only the immediate context, but also the wider context of the whole scripture. If I can do that, the other person usually stops debating. Very few go so far to admit they could be wrong.
TD:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Strange as it sounds I think most of us aren't accustomed to discussing scriptures. Many of us personally read the Bible at home or sit quietly at church hearing the Bible. We haven't been coming to the Lord in the practice of fellowship, mutually learning and teaching together. Myself included, people have develop self-centered seeking and understanding. When the moment comes for us to objectively and empirically express ourselves it's difficult to have substantive explanations.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is not about tone. You were attempting to find fault in what I wrote several times. But again, I am not here to quarrel or argue with you. I merely want friendly advice; I do not want to debate here and neither do I desire any kind of criticism, either.

May God's goodness be upon you.

You have just berated one of the kindest people on this forum simply because they provided a take on your situation (that YOU asked our advice on) that didn't agree with your take on the same.

And you wonder why your having difficulty during scriptural discussion....

Perhaps try a little grace and love in your conversations with others, it goes a long way

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You learn the lesson and stop trying or expecting Christians to dance to your tune. Sometimes it is not the scripture that puts a person off it is the way the other person in the discussion discusses it. It's easy to become a bore with a bible.

I am not looking for negative criticism but friendly Christian advice.

But may God bless you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have just berated one of the kindest people on this forum simply because they provided a take on your situation (that YOU asked our advice on) that didn't agree with your take on the same.

And you wonder why your having difficulty during scriptural discussion....

Perhaps try a little grace and love in your conversations with others, it goes a long way

If you were to go back and look at the post #3, Sabbertooth criticized me. He originally said that my question was loaded, and he suggested that there could either be bad and good reasons as to why I would want to share Scripture (Suggesting that my motives could be bad) which is an attack upon my character and not friendly Christian advice.

A loaded question is a false question signifying to deceive (Which was never my intent). Maybe he communicated poorly to what his mind was thinking. I do not know. But all I can go by is by his words he had actually written.

I asked for Christian advice that would be positive and constructive, and not for Christian criticism upon my character or motives.

I have no ill will towards Sabbertooth, we have gotten along before, I just did not desire for criticism and debate, and I was only asking for Christian advice that was positive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you were to go back and look at the post #3, Sabbertooth criticized me. He originally said that my question was loaded, and he suggested that there could either be bad and good reasons as to why I would want to share Scripture (Suggesting that my motives could be bad) which is an attack upon my character and not friendly Christian advice.

I read the exchange in full. He gave His point of view - one you asked people for, and he did so very kindly. There was nothing wrong or insulting in what he said.

And believe me, I was being exceedingly charitable to a person who openly treated an autistic person the way you just did.

You need to take a long, hard look at how you talk to others before anything will ever change in your interactions with others.

If all you want is people to agree with your every thought then get off the internet because it's not an echo chamber.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.