Kim Jung Un meets with South Korean delegation in pursuit of talks with the US and reunification

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟91,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Trump's blather has convinced them to maybe, stop looking to us for guidance and work out their own differences than maybe he's good for something.
Blather is defined as military and economic strength, Trump's firm stand against North Korea.

Obama or Clinton didn't have the backbone, Dennis Rodman could have done a better job at working a peace deal, as Obama was releasing terroist from Guatanamo bay.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting that a Korean solution is developing that has nothing to do with China or the USA. To be achievable ideas about reunification would probably have to include Kim Jong Un giving up absolute power in the North as the whole country came under a broader administration, American troops leaving and a massive bill for South Korea. But maybe each of these is more attractive than the prospect of nuclear war or the mass starvation of the North Korean people.

A united and neutral Korea is probably the best solution in the long run but would involve both China and the USA taking a step back from an area they regard as in their sphere of influence.
South Korea had a vested interest in reaching out to North Korea, the stakes are much higher for them this the US. North Korea is now suggesting they need security assurances to drop the Nuclear program and are willing to agree not to attack South Korea. Trump thinks this is historic but it's not, we've been here before.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
South Korea had a vested interest in reaching out to North Korea, the stakes are much higher for them this the US. North Korea is now suggesting they need security assurances to drop the Nuclear program and are willing to agree not to attack South Korea. Trump thinks this is historic but it's not, we've been here before.
Yes, NK has reneged on promises before, too.

It's not done until the fat lady sings, so to speak.

• Agree
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟91,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Were alot closer today than yesterday as Obama wated to pay North Korea for peace?

Then you got Dennis Rodman as US secretary of state, what a joke that was.

Amazing what a fist slammed to the table will do isn't it.

Trump didn't mix words did he, and look where we are today, North Korea is taping out.

Obama never even got a hint of meeting or resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, NK has reneged on promises before, too.

It's not done until the fat lady sings, so to speak.
If Trump has a diplomatic staff left I think it might be time to open a dialogue. I see the possibility of a treaty with some kind of a neutral arbitration process in the works possibly. It would have to include Japan and China at a minimum but security issues for them must include North Korea. Maybe if they hammered out some why to deal with their regional problems we wouldn't be causing them so many problems at the UN.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Glasnost for all the rhetoric about it from Gorbachev was really just the surrender of an unsustainable Soviet Empire of its occupied territories. America and its allies won the Cold war and in a sense gained influence over Eastern Germany and Europe as a result. Reunification of East and West Germany was really absorption by the West. But population wise the two Koreas are more evenly balanced and the problems far deeper.

So I wonder if Kim Jong Un would ever give up power, if the South really wants to pay the billions It would cost to bring North Koreas people into the 21st century.

Bear in mind NK hasn’t exactly fully industrialised - I’m sure some of the costs would be offset by being able to exploit their natural resources with modern SK tech?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If Trump has a diplomatic staff left I think it might be time to open a dialogue.
I don't know.

Kinda looks like dialogue has moved along at a faster pace than at any time since 1953. Maybe it's a good time to keep doing what works. Know what I mean? Kim Jung Un seems to understand.
I see the possibility of a treaty with some kind of a neutral arbitration process in the works possibly. It would have to include Japan and China at a minimum but security issues for them must include North Korea. Maybe if they hammered out some why to deal with their regional problems we wouldn't be causing them so many problems at the UN.
Problems at the UN are the least of NK's problems. Ya think maybe Kim Jung Un understands that?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know.

Kinda looks like dialogue has moved along at a faster pace than at any time since 1953. Maybe it's a good time to keep doing what works. Know what I mean? Kim Jung Un seems to understand.

Things like letting the hard cold reality of economic sanctions sink in, I think, helped him get some clarity. Sure he is coming around but there were some sweeping measures and NK is scrambling to get out from under them.

Problems at the UN are the least of NK's problems. Ya think maybe Kim Jung Un understands that?

UN sanctions are the heart of NKs problems, I'm very certain he understands that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The ones Nikki Haley dumped on him. Not sure he sees them as UN issue.
I don't know how he could miss that one. It was clearly an action taken under the auspices of the UN.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that a Korean solution is developing that has nothing to do with China or the USA. To be achievable ideas about reunification would probably have to include Kim Jong Un giving up absolute power in the North as the whole country came under a broader administration, American troops leaving and a massive bill for South Korea. But maybe each of these is more attractive than the prospect of nuclear war or the mass starvation of the North Korean people.

A united and neutral Korea is probably the best solution in the long run but would involve both China and the USA taking a step back from an area they regard as in their sphere of influence.
Nuclear weapons allow NK to come to the table on near equal terms in terms of military power.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nuclear weapons allow NK to come to the table on near equal terms in terms of military power.
Yet as a rouge nation under sanctions from the international community. What's more I think he is a bit out gunned in that regard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note that Trump did not speak with anyone from NK the other day, despite errant comments to the contrary. He apparently got them mixed up.
Are we saying he was speaking on the phone?

This would mean he did not actually see the person he was talking to. So, this could make it easier to mix up things.

Actually, if he spoke on a phone with a ruler in South Korea, possibly he was indeed talking with the person who is rightfully in charge of all Korea . . . if Kim Jong Un is an impostor.

Kim seems to be the one who is insisting on a unified Korea, but he means with him in charge and how he does things. I would say this is not negotiable.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟91,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, they arent 100% certain he has a nuclear arsenal.

Parading around empty steel cylinders in the street isnt a nuclear program.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the single issue, isn't it? Except for Un's family, I doubt there are other problems preventing the North Koreans from joining with the South.

My sense is that the South would do it in a heartbeat ... to be rid of the non-stop nuclear threat from the North.

There is a majority in favour of reunification but 72% of young people do not want it. If it is going to happen it will have to be in the next 10 years or so.

As Olympics open door to reunification, young Koreans lose interest in united peninsula

I would expect Trump to support it in a heartbeat as well. Hillary, maybe not.

North Korea has always been a proxy for China ... but even China can't be real pleased with how things have worked out recently. I'd expect them to demand Taiwan in return for relinquishing control of North Korea. Fortunately, the Taiwanese have long wanted to reunite with China, so even that seems workable.

Taiwan may not be the bargaining chip that the big players want so long as the greater tendency there is against unification with the mainland.

It's really a no-brainer, just as it was for West Germany. The cost of not re-unifying is potentially much much more expensive.

In my travels to Taiwan, I was surprised to hear directly from Taiwanese how favorably they looked at reunification.

They've gotten used to independence. The poll of negative responses was dominated by those under the age of 30 though ... and even those supported discussions.

This looks like the best outcome all round. But Korea needs people of faith and vision to see this through. It is not a small decision and most likely it will be a painful one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thing is I believe China is backing North Korea 100%

North Korea is a diversion for the proposed tariffs on China.

Trump got tough yesterday on the (NAFTA) agreement, hes not backing down on Mexico and Canada.

"China is worried about American tariffs", throwing North Korea as the token of world peace in a deal.

It is definitely a part of the negotiations. North Korea is now feeling the bite of sanctions - including from China. The Americans still have a military option on the table should NK start getting desperate. NKs only play is to work with South Korea. NK are not a helpful ally for the Chinese and by their nuclear programme and general bluster they are destabilising the region as a whole

• Agree
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟822,987.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

At the moment this just looks like a play by North Korea. China need American trade more than they need North Korea as an ally and so are not as supportive as they were. The Americans still have their military option on the table. North Koreans are probably starting to starve and the South Koreans are worried about war. NK is probably looking for some kind of pay off. But the game has changed with Trump. This is hard ball now.

Upvote 0