• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Killings by Police Declined after Black Lives Matter Protests

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by The IbanezerScrooge, Mar 2, 2021.

1. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+1,777
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Killings by Police Declined after Black Lives Matter Protests

The study, posted in February as an online preprint item on the Social Science Research Network, is the first of its kind to measure a possible correlation between BLM and police homicide numbers. It found that municipalities where BLM protests have been held experienced as much as a 20 percent decrease in killings by police, resulting in an estimated 300 fewer deaths nationwide in 2014–2019. The occurrence of local protests increased the likelihood of police departments adopting body-worn cameras and community-policing initiatives, the study also found. Many cities with larger and more frequent BLM protests experienced greater declines in police homicides.
    A refutation of the refrain "BuT PrOtEsTiNg DoEsN'T AcCoMpLiSh AnYtHinG!!!" I often hear with regard to protests almost exclusively from those who disagree with the message the protest is about.

Certainly, not enough, but it at least shows some progress.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The question is, who blinked first?

Protests may have reduced some killings but do little to improve race relations, and in fact can be counterproductive. Interestingly the BLM movement looks more like a white liberal cause based on the sheer numbers of them seen in those marches, as well as the plethora of yard signs in white liberal neighborhoods. I'm sure many blacks are aghast at this, knowing there will be a backlash.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  3. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,176
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Has it affected the crime rates in those same cities?

4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+6,700
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    If police are in a position to need to blink, at all, then there's a problem. They should have done the right thing from the get go.

The possibility that there might be "backlash" from anyone says a lot about the race tensions in this country.

So, this backlash is going to come from conservatives? Are a bunch of white Christians going to mistreat their black neighbors because of BLM? Interesting.

5. ralliann

ralliann christian

+428
    United States
    Christian
    Widowed
    I guess the increase in death matters not. The only death that matter are those at the hand of law enforcement.

6. OldWiseGuy

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    That train has left the station.

It just confirms it.

I see the backlash as a further distancing of many from the issues; stepping back if you will. Nothing overt.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. OldWiseGuy

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Seems so. Kinda takes all the oxygen out of the room.

8. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+4,986
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Good. Then BLM protests did their job.
    Ringo

9. Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa Against both police brutality and cop killing.

+929
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Who is making the claim that "PrOtEsTiNg DoEsN'T AcCoMpLiSh AnYtHinG!!!" ?

10. OldWiseGuy

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It did cause me to study the issues more. I'm now a qualified expert.:graduation:

11. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+2,296
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What is the black crime rate in 2019 compared to 2020? Would be curious to know.

12. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+10,725
    Catholic
    How is that relevant? Police violence and misconduct is not a requirement for a lower crime rate. You can fight crime without brutalizing the populace.

13. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+2,296
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I would like to know. If black people committed more crime after these protests it would seem that the decrease in Police violence or killings is not necessarily a good thing.

Do you know the statistics? Care to share them?

14. SummerMadness

+10,725
    Catholic
    That's a poor argument to make, an increase in crime because of less police violence makes no sense when accountability for police violence has been standard for years, while the crime rate has increased and decreased during that time. How would you demonstrate that police violence is the factor affecting crime?

15. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+2,296
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    So what are the stats? Did black people commit less crime in 2020?

16. SummerMadness

+10,725
    Catholic
    How would you demonstrate that police violence is the factor affecting crime? Why do you only need crime statistics for black people? Why would you only look at 2020 and not the years the study covers?

17. OldWiseGuy

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    2020 was the year the police stepped back a bit from enforcement. He wants to know if blacks stepped back a bit from crime.

18. SummerMadness

+10,725
    Catholic
    The study does not cover 2020, it covers years before that. Regardless, you operate from the false premise that police violence is the antithesis to "black crime" without demonstrating this is a factor. If crime increased, is the argument going to be that police misconduct is necessary? How do you demonstrate the link between police misconduct and criminal behavior in the general populace?

19. OldWiseGuy

+9,845
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    This calls for an examination of the case histories around which all assumptions are made.

20. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+8,043
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    1. Police deaths lowering needs to be seen, regardless of all the other chatter as a good thing.

2. The ask for more data on black crime? It's a moot point this year. I don't know if you've noticed but covid has had quite an impact on many different crimes

Wait a year before making correlation equals causation claims.