Killed on Death Row - Innocent People.

Is it time for the Death Penalty to be abolished?

• YES

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • NO

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian belief does not cater for the death penalty. One of the Ten comandments say Thou shall not kill
Bad translation. Thou shalt not MURDER. i.e. shed innocent blood.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2018
Houston
✟2,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
If they give advice to couples or parents what is going to make the spouse or parent interested in changing?

Jesus? Yahweh? The Holy Spirit? I thought the whole point of being a Christian was to speak on these 3 things to make a person interested in changing.

You're blaming churches for their inability to change people?

I'm not blaming churches for anything. I'm simply holding them accountable for the lack of work they put in versus the work that was done in the actual text.

We can help people; we can't change them.

The Holy Spirit can, according to what I read in the text. Peter and those other guys stayed in that Upper Room situation and suddenly the Holy Spirit comes in and fills them up. They walk out, looking inebriated. Peter speaks for 5 minutes via the power of the Holy Spirit and 3,000 people changed and followed them.

Even psychologists and psychiatrists don't know how to change people.

On the contrary, they do. It's why they have Ph. D's in their respected fields.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How about a law that says that if an executed person is later found to be innocent, their executioners, prosecutors, and the judge and jury that convicted them must then be put to death? More death penalties to fix the death penalty. All these pro-death penalty people should be in favor of that.

[/obvious sarcasm].

• Haha
Reactions: Abaxvahl
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We had a murder here of a ten year old girl that was so horrendous that the details have never been revealed to the public (I was told by a cop friend of mine and won't reveal them here). The killer is still alive and well AFAIK. My state has no death penalty.
Better him alive in prison than you and I participate in killing an innocent person.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I also think it's quite interesting that I seem to have a hard time finding atheists who are pro-death penalty.

Note that this is just my impression, I don't have any stats to back that up.

That has been my impression too.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That has been my impression too.

(Most) atheists are like evolutionary scientists who would rather 'study' a polluted lake than help to clean it up. As a result our lakes are full of pollutants and our prisons are full of killers. Both greatly reduce the quality of life for everyone.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not against the death penalty, but I can't support it given our current "justice system". After a complete overhaul of the system, I'd expand the death penalty to include not just murder, but attempted murder, conspiracy to committ murder, human trafficking & various sexually based crimes. However, I'd raise the bar so that the prosecution couldn't seek the death penalty without a minimum threshold of purely scientific evidence.

The death penalty isn't a punishment or a deterrent- not all people can be/or wish to be rehabilitated. The death penalty just removes the danger and enigma of them. No jailhouse interviews or memoirs.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Better him alive in prison than you and I participate in killing an innocent person.

Following that reasoning we really shouldn't be imprisoning anyone, or even arresting them for that matter (false convictions begin with false arrests).

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Following that reasoning we really shouldn't be imprisoning anyone, or even arresting them for that matter (false convictions begin with false arrests).
No. Actually that doesnt follow unless your thinking on the matter is completely shallow.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus? Yahweh? The Holy Spirit? I thought the whole point of being a Christian was to speak on these 3 things to make a person interested in changing.

It's the Christian who is changed.

I'm not blaming churches for anything. I'm simply holding them accountable for the lack of work they put in versus the work that was done in the actual text.

The Holy Spirit did the work in that text.
You can't hold others accountable unless you are rehabilitating thieves and child molestors yourself. Even then, we aren't all called to do the same tasks.

The Holy Spirit can, according to what I read in the text. Peter and those other guys stayed in that Upper Room situation and suddenly the Holy Spirit comes in and fills them up. They walk out, looking inebriated. Peter speaks for 5 minutes via the power of the Holy Spirit and 3,000 people changed and followed them.

The Holy Spirit isn't converting everyone.

On the contrary, they do. It's why they have Ph. D's in their respected fields.

My brother who is an alcoholic has a Ph.D. He doesn't work. He isn't rehabilitated and doesn't want to be. I don't think psychologists have Ph. Ds. Anyway, a Ph.D. isn't equivalent to changing a person's desire. And how many people in churches have those degrees?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It isn't too extreme for serial killers. Instead of abolishing the death penalty, people should stop emotionally and physically abusing their children and letting them spend hours watching violence.
Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Although we may never know the exact amount. Many people have been executed on Death Row. After their execution new evidence has shown that they were innocent of the crime.

My question is - Is it time to end the Death Penalty? before more innocent lives are taken away.

That doesn't solve the problem of false arrest, false/forced confession, profiling and planting evidence.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think murderers should be ended, but there is a problem. I remember in Illinois:

Illinois's outgoing Republican Gov. George Ryan commuted the death sentences of 167 people to life in prison today after concluding that the capital punishment system was "haunted by the demon of error."

Friends and foes of the death penalty said the step, which empties death row of 156 inmates and 11 others who had been sentenced but were awaiting hearings, was unprecedented. (Illinois Death Row Emptied. Washington Post)
Just something to think about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Although we may never know the exact amount. Many people have been executed on Death Row. After their execution new evidence has shown that they were innocent of the crime.

My question is - Is it time to end the Death Penalty? before more innocent lives are taken away.
How would you end the death penalty, and besides (not only) the legal aspect,
how would you end the slaughter daily of thousands of "innocent of the crime" where no crime is even needed ?!
"All day long we are being slaughtered like sheep" is true today, just as it was 2000 years ago, and ever since then, and before then, as written in the BIBLE.

Millions of "innocent" (declared innocent by God) martyrs in the last decade and many more millions in the last ten decades.

Many many many more thousands every day than any executed on 'Death Row' per OP.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Life without parole in today's prison system certainly qualifies as "cruel and unusual punishment".
AND it is FOR PROFIT - NOT for justice.
ISRAEL had rules for JUSTICE, not for profit. They had no prisons - no jail sentences, and they had RULES for TRUE JUSTICE (when it was practiced).

They did not waste millions per day practicing NO JUSTICE defending bad guys who are obviously guilty, and it did not take millions to clear the innocent, nor did they take anything to pay to support millions of prisoners, draining money from the poor and oppressed to take care of the prisoners, PROFITING the SYSTEM, guilty or not.

They system USA is set up UNjustly, FOR PROFIT, bribes and kickbacks overwhelming.

• Agree
Upvote 0