Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is her school planning on setting something up for distance learning? I also agree with setting up zoom meetings with friends just to talk or even play a card or board game. My bible study group met today through zoom and it's great for interacting.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
4th day of preteen out of school & preteen is grumpy!
I'm intoverted so being at home is easy
child Needs interaction with peers & loves school
library & all entertainment places are closed

any suggestions?
My wife is a teacher.
School districts offer on line resources.
Many classes getting together on Zoom.
Keep them busy with studies at home.
M-Bob

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My son is a teenager and he goes to New Technologies High School, so distance learning wasn't a big deal for them to transition into. They already had school-furnished laptops and email accounts. Internet at home is a requirement for school enrollment. They are doing video classes and interacting with each other online.

He is an introvert, so he doesn't mind not seeing people face-to-face. They have been out of school since the second week of March, and he hasn't asked to leave the house once. He is content and more relaxed than usual.

• Informative
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As for interacting with friends, there's been a video online of a grandfather and granddaughter have a dance competition, separated by a street. They stand across the street from each other, taking turns dancing. Social distance is kept, and they get to do something together. Maybe something like that could be planned. If not across the street, across the yard? Pick an activity they would like.

I had a boss once who had a video projector and she would show a movie outside in her yard on a large sheet she had hung up. Maybe have only one or two guest and have them bring their own snack and drink? Lawn chairs could be spaced far apart.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@JAM2b
we're fortunate our district gives every student chrome books in 3rd grade, so our preteen is used to doing homework & taking tests on it

teachers are giving assignment in all subjects & giving tests
they're giving optional educational work, also

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are doing classroom time by Skype. My school child likes it, but isn't always in the same group as friends (they divide them into groups of 3 so the teachers can personally interact with as many kids as possible). I used to teach so we do lots of fun learning activities and games during the day. I don't think learning progress of my child will suffer (except in language; we are part of a language school and I don't speak it and my husband remembers only some phrases but can understand spoken and written), but I know my child misses just playing with other kids the same age.

Upvote 0