Kid with rare AB blood type faces imminent death unless someone donates a lung.

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, the deal is that someone I just read about on the Internet (originally from Medford, OR) is dying of the same illness I have. His lungs are so bad, and the prospects for finding a dead donor so slim, that the docs have basically given up unless two live donors with the same bloodtype (AB*) can be located. On a Cystic Fibrosis group I read, someone posted the following impassioned plea:

Please foward Billy's story where ever you can. If you have time please print them out and hang them anywhere. Billy is running out of time. We need to act fast. He is the best kid in the world and he does not want to die. Please help us.

Unlike myself, it's not inability to pay for a transplant that seems to be his problem, but a lack of available organs. No one in his family has compatible ones, and they've been appealing far and wide locally through the media, renting billboards, even. But it's been a fruitless search, since no one has come forward.

I don't expect anyone to be willing to part with a lung lobe easily. It's a harder procedure than a kidney donation, even though it doesn't usually have any lasting ill effects and, from what I've read, regrows. But still, you never know, so I doubt it'd hurt to ask whether anyone would be willing to make such a sacrifice, so that this young man could live... even more unlikely gifts have been made by strangers. (The recipient's family or insurance pays all medical and travel costs associated with live donors, of course.)

You can read more information at NiceLungs.com. From what I can tell, he is currently at a transplant center in Boston, as this CBS4 story reports.

I apologize to the mods if this isn't a "worthy" news story, but it infuriates me whenever I hear of anyone, potentially in the prime of their life, near death because the majority of us never sign that donor card.

* Yes, this is the "universal recipient," but transplant doctors, from what I hear, are far more strict about compatibility than you'd need in a transfusion. Only exact matches are accepted, and for those, this is a rare blood type.

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
WinAce said:
* Yes, this is the "universal recipient," but transplant doctors, from what I hear, are far more strict about compatibility than you'd need in a transfusion. Only exact matches are accepted, and for those, this is a rare blood type.

:( I'm willing to donate, but I'm either an A+ or O+ since that's what my parents are. Would a universal donor work with a universal recipient, or do I have to have AB?

Upvote 0

PookySmiley

Mobiosity - Only one side
Sep 23, 2005
here
✟8,774.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is an excellent story because so few people are organ donors. All you need to do is sign a piece of paper, or mark a box on your driver's license. You're not going to need your body in heaven, God's gonna give you a new one. As the bumper sticker says "Don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here"

There is no cost to the donor, you're dead, if you don't give them away, they're going to rot, disolve into a soupy, smelly, bacteria-laden goop. Isn't it better to give someone sight, life, function?

Upvote 0

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, the part about so few people becoming donors is true. More would no doubt do this, but there's a TON of misconceptions going around (like "docs will just give you up, for dead, to harvest your organs if you get sick.")

I believe most of the problems with organ shortages would be solved with a system that assumes you opt-in, and allows you to request your organs go to waste, rather than specifically request they be shared, with the default assumption being you want them to go to waste.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Norseman said:
:( I'm willing to donate, but I'm either an A+ or O+ since that's what my parents are. Would a universal donor work with a universal recipient, or do I have to have AB?

I am also an organ donor. Dead or alive, I would be willing if the organ or liver were right with the person I am going to be giving it too.

Upvote 0