1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

KGB Ordered Pope's Assassination, New Documents Show

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by ProCommunioneFacior, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProCommunioneFacior

ProCommunioneFacior I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)

+542
    Catholic
    Married
    Very interesting here is some new evidence that it was the KGB that attempted to assasinate our beloved Holy Father.

http://www.catholicexchange.com/e3news/index.asp?article_id=170385

Rome, Mar. 30 (CWNews.com) - The files of the old East German secret service contain documents confirming that the Soviet Union ordered the May 13, 1981 attempt on the life of Pope John Paul II (bio - news), Italian newspapers are reporting.

Two newspapers, Corriere della Sera and il Giornale , are reporting that files from the Stasi, the East German spy agency, confirm the suspicions long held by Vatican officials. Documents in newly opened files show that the KGB, the Soviet spy agency, ordered the assassination attempt, which was carried out by the Bulgarian secret service.

Dimitar Tzonev, a spokesman for the Bulgarian government, said that officials in Sofia are ready to hand over their secret-service archives to the Italian commission charged with investigating the assassination attempt, which was carried out by Mehmet Ali Agca. An Italian parliamentary commission is also carrying out an investigation of KGB recruitment in Italy.

Corriere della Sera reports that the Soviet service gave the order to assassinate John Paul II, and Bulgarian agents recruited Agca for the effort. That report confirms a theory that was advanced by the Pope himself, in his book, Memory and Identity; the Pope wrote that he was convinced Agca was not acting on his own initiative, "but someone else planned and commanded it." Almost immediately after the attack-- in which Pope John Paul was shot and seriously wounded after his weekly public audience in St. Peter's Square-- Vatican officials quietly advanced the theory that the Soviet Union had authorized the assassination attempt. Italian investigators soon found evidence of ties between Agca and Bulgarian spy officers. But to date there has been no conclusive proof of Soviet involvement.

Mehmet Ali Agca, who served 19 years of a life sentence in Italian prisons, was handed over to prison officials in his native Turkey in June 2000. He is now serving a prison term there for a murder committed before the attack on John Paul II.

This article courtesy of Catholic World News. To subscribe or for further information, contact [email protected] or visit www.cwnews.com

2. :eek: :help: and :crossrc:

Is all I can say....

3. PioMagnus

PioMagnus Papist

+20
    Catholic
    US-Constitution
    Well, good thing the KGB failed, neh?

4. Dominus Fidelis

Dominus Fidelis ScottBot is Stalking Me!

+375
    Catholic
    Married
    I guess Our Lady wasn't kidding at Fatima?

5. thereselittleflower

thereselittleflower Well-Known Member

+1,439
    Catholic
    I guess not! And it was shortly after this attempt that the pope made a consecration, right? . . . Events since that consecration, with this additional information, make it all the more clear to me that the consecration was acceptable, despite what detractors say . . :)

Peace in Him!

6. Dominus Fidelis

+375
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, Communism fell shortly after the 1984 consecration.

Hail Mary! Praise God!

7. D'Ann

D'Ann Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE

+3,925
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    This is not the first time that I have heard this... I wonder if the KGB had anything to do with the deaths of the two prior popes before JPII?

Interesting stuff.

D'Ann

8. Dominus Fidelis

+375
    Catholic
    Married
    Possible...since the vision at Fatima had a bunch of religious folks being killed.

9. PetertheRock

PetertheRock Well-Known Member

+205
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Very interesting stuff. I guess that shows the power of prayer. I believe the attempt on the pope's life was unsuccessful because of all of our prayers.

Darryl

10. D'Ann

+3,925
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I really.... need to start learning about Fatima. I have been reading books on Mary and being devoted and showing devotion to Mary... but I have yet to really study Fatima... that's next on my list. LOL :)

D'Ann

11. Hoonbaba

Hoonbaba Catholic Preterist

+54
    Catholic
    God's promises are awesome:

"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it" (Matt 16:18)

It's interesting how the Soviet Union also fell apart with JPII's influence. God is mighty indeed! :)

12. D'Ann

+3,925
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thank God for His Truth... Amen and Amen...:amen:

D'Ann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.