• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ketamine

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Who is giving Ketamine to depressed people? It is an Anaesthetic drug, with analgesic properties. It causes a dissociative state and can cause vivid nightmares. Certainly inappropriate as a anti-depressant. It inactivates NMDA receptors, and releases noradrenalin stores (which it therefore depletes), but I don't see how that would be useful in depression.

Looking it up, I see they have done limited trials (the best evidence being only 18 people) that showed anti-depressant effects. That makes it a functionally untested treatment, with such limited and small scale testing, and Ketamine is a highly dangerous drug that has become associated with abuse and accidental death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

well hey

little.soul
Mar 24, 2014
U.S
✟23,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who is giving Ketamine to depressed people? It is an Anaesthetic drug, with analgesic properties. It causes a dissociative state and can cause vivid nightmares. Certainly inappropriate as a anti-depressant. It activates NMDA receptors, and releases noradrenalin stores (which it therefore depletes), but I don't see how that would be useful in depression.

Looking it up, I see they have done limited trials (the best evidence being only 18 people) that showed anti-depressant effects. That makes it a functionally untested treatment, with such limited and small scale testing, and Ketamine is a highly dangerous drug that has become associated with abuse and accidental death.
You know nothing about ketamine

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You know nothing about ketamine
You are talking to an Anaesthetist. I have literally written tests about it, and use it every day of my life to Anaesthetise patients and for its analgesic properties.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
"Ketamine is a medication mainly used for starting and maintaining anesthesia. It induces a trance-like state while providing pain relief, sedation, and memory loss. Other uses include for chronic pain, sedation in intensive care, and depression." -wikipedia

..and heres an entire lecture on it:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EstherRising

Aug 12, 2019
leesburg
✟7,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are any of you getting a prescription for ketamine? If so what did you find out about it? If you are already on it, what have the results been?
Hi! I have been receiving ketamine infusions for about 6 months now and I feel better than I have in many years. I have PMDD which presents itself as severe depression for 1/2 the month. I've tried every medication out there and none have worked. The infusions have been amazing for my overall well being. THey are not for the faint of heart, however, so now that I'm in the maintenance phase I plan to explore the lozenges or nasal. I haven't found them yet... Good luck!

Upvote 0