United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DaveSZ said:
This is the same neocon magazine (along with the Weekly Standard) that brought us the occupation of Iraq.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that they'd print something like this.

LOL, considering what you use for resources, you should hardly talk. Oh my, how funny it is when the tables are turned. ;)

Put the source asside.... can you counter the doctor's testimony? Do you have a source for this, hmm?

Upvote 0

94SupraTT

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟535.00
Faith
Baptist
According to Kerry's own description in Douglas Brinkley's Tour of Duty, the Dec. 2, 1968, mission behind what he has claimed to be his first Purple Heart was "a half-***** action that hardly qualified as combat." Indeed. Kerry was stationed with Coastal Division 14 at Cam Ranh Bay. At that time he piloted a small foam-filled boat, known as a Boston Whaler, with two enlisted men in the darkness of early morning. The intent, apparently, was to patrol an area that was known for contraband trafficking, but it was an undocumented mission. Upon approaching the objective point, the crew noticed a sampan crossing the river. As it pulled to shore, Kerry and his little team opened fire, destroying the boat and whatever its cargo might have been.

In the confusion, Kerry claims to have received a "stinging piece of heat" in the arm, the result of a tiny piece of shrapnel. He was not incapacitated and continued with regular swiftboat-patrol duty. William Shachte, who oversaw this ad hoc mission, was quoted by the Boston Globe as saying Kerry's injury, from whatever source, "was not a serious wound at all."

But Kerry met with his immediate superior officer, Lt.Cmdr. Grant Hibbard, the next morning and requested a Purple Heart for his wound. Hibbard recalls that Kerry had a "minor scratch" on his arm and was holding in his hand what appeared to be a fragment of a U.S. M-79 grenade, the shrapnel that had caused the wound. "They didn't receive enemy fire," Hibbard tells Insight. Since this was an essential requirement for the award, the commander rejected Kerry's request. Hibbard does not remember that Kerry received medical attention of any kind and confirms that no one else on the mission suffered any injuries.

Shortly thereafter, Kerry was transferred to Coastal Division 11 at An Thoi. Apparently, Kerry petitioned to have his Purple Heart request reconsidered. Hibbard remembers getting correspondence from Kerry's new division, asking for his approval. In the hurried process of moving to a new command himself, Hibbard thinks he might have signed off on the award. If so, "it was to my chagrin," Hibbard remembers. Kerry's second commander, Lt.Cmdr. G.M. Elliott, says he has no recollection of such an event ever occurring.

There are no written records of Kerry's magical first Purple Heart on file at the Naval Historical Center in Washington, the nation's primary repository for such documentation. A Purple Heart normally is not requested but is awarded de facto for a wound inflicted by the enemy - a wound serious enough to require medical attention. The Naval Historical Center keeps all documents connected to such awards to U.S. Navy and Marine personnel. These typewritten "casualty cards" list the date, location and prognosis of the wound for which the Purple Heart is given, and they are produced by the medical facility that provides treatment for the combat wound at the hands of the enemy. There are two such cards for Kerry - for his slight wounds on Feb. 20 and March 13, 1969, but none for his December 1968 claim.

After receiving a Purple Heart for the March 13 scratch and bruise, Kerry sought an early pass out of combat duty, invoking the informal Navy "instruction" known as 1300.39. According to the Boston Globe, 1300.39 meant an officer could request a reassignment from his superior officer after receiving three Purple Hearts. The instruction states that, rather than being automatic, the reassignment would "be determined after consideration of his physical classification for duty and on an individual basis." Of the 138 servicemen and officers in Kerry's unit who received Purple Hearts during the time he was there, records indicate only two received more than two. These were Lt.(jg) Jim Galvin and a boatswain's mate named Stevens. When Insight reached Galvin he said all three of his Purple Hearts were the result of shrapnel or glass shards. Such minor injuries were common on PCF boats with their glass windows and thin metal hulls, and, like Kerry's, Galvin's injuries were not serious enough to take him out of combat for more than a few days.

Unlike Kerry, Galvin elected to stay with his men. Indeed, though a professional Navy officer, he never had heard of instruction 1300.39. It was not until early April of 1969, when Galvin noticed that Kerry was preparing to leave the officers' barracks at An Thoi that he learned about "three Purple Hearts and you're out." According to Galvin, it was Kerry who told him, "There's a rule that gets you out of here and I'm getting out. You ought to do the same." Galvin remembers, "He seemed to take care of everything pretty quickly," because that was the last time Galvin saw Kerry in Vietnam.

The three-times wounded Galvin stayed with his men, transferred to Cam Ranh Bay to get them a respite from the dicey Mekong Delta, and eventually left the swiftboats for destroyer school.

Insight: contacted many men who served in Coastal Division at the same time Kerry did to ask if any of them had heard of anyone leaving the combat zone by invoking three minor wounds. Of the 12 who replied, none had heard of anyone doing so but John Kerry."

Less than a month after having claimed three wounds for which he lost no more than a total of two days of duty, Kerry reported as an aide to a navy yard admiral in Brooklyn, New York, leaving his crew in Vietnam. Two years later, preparing for a congressional race in a left-wing Massachusetts district - where the seat eventually was won by the even more radical Rev. Robert Drinan - Kerry was working with Maoists and other radicals in Vietnam Veterans Against the War, saying of those he left behind who were being killed and wounded for real that they were committing crimes "on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels."

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doctrine1st said:
Was it Kerry who first brought up Vietnam? I remember the fake picture of Kerry and Jane Fonda rather early, and don't think the Kerry Camp put them out.

Well there are several pictures of Kerry and Fonda, and IIRC all of them were taken before Fonda went to North Vietnam. And I believe those were presented by the right, trying to show Kerry as anti-american.

I get the feeling people think Kerry submitted some kind of application for the Purple Heart?

I get the same feeling too. He got 3 purple hearts. You don't apply for them, you don't ask for them, they're just given to you. And from what I hear, they're handed out like they're free.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
94SupraTT said:
This very well may be the case. However, both of them have their faults. Most people will only see the faults in the candidate that they don't like. Much like your post.

Agreed. I can dislike a candidate, but I wouldn't resort to using tacky comments.

Upvote 0

94SupraTT

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟535.00
Faith
Baptist
trunks2k said:
Well there are several pictures of Kerry and Fonda, and IIRC all of them were taken before Fonda went to North Vietnam. And I believe those were presented by the right, trying to show Kerry as anti-american.

I get the same feeling too. He got 3 purple hearts. You don't apply for them, you don't ask for them, they're just given to you. And from what I hear, they're handed out like they're free.
There are some pictures that are down right fakes that try to show Kerry and Fonda together. However, it is a fact that Kerry was with the "Vietnam Veterans against the War". Thats a whole 'nother can of worms. Kerry received Purple Hearts for normal things that happened to soldiers like bruises and minor scratches. Also his first Purple Heart was basically, bologna. I could not even get Workman's Comp. for his "wounds". My main gripe is that Kerry's camp is trying to herald him as some great hero. He knew if he got 3 hearts he was out. He got them and was gone in 4 months. My father was in 'Nam and suffered more serious injuries (nothing too horrible) and never got a Purple Heart, however he does not desire one. Everything I've seen appears to Kerry trying to use the "3 hearts you're out" to come back home quick. Thats not to say that Bush did not use the system also to avoid the war altogether. I think both have their shortcomings. Kerry has an overstated heroic image trying to be projected on him and Bush has an overstated cowardice image.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
The medical description of his first wound by Dr. Louis Letson:

"...I have a very clear memory of an incident which occurred while I was the Medical Officer at Naval Support Facility, Cam Ranh Bay.
John Kerry was a (jg), the OinC or skipper of a Swift boat, newly arrived in Vietnam. On the night of December 2, he was on patrol north of Cam Ranh, up near Nha Trang area. The next day he came to sick bay, the medical facility, for treatment of a wound that had occurred that night.

The story he told was different from what his crewmen had to say about that night. According to Kerry, they had been engaged in a fire fight, receiving small arms fire from on shore. He said that his injury resulted from this enemy action.

Some of his crew confided that they did not receive any fire from shore, but that Kerry had fired a mortar round at close range to some rocks on shore. The crewman thought that the injury was caused by a fragment ricocheting from that mortar round when it struck the rocks.

That seemed to fit the injury which I treated.

What I saw was a small piece of metal sticking very superficially in the skin of Kerry's arm. The metal fragment measured about 1 cm. in length and was about 2 or 3 mm in diameter. It certainly did not look like a round from a rifle.

I simply removed the piece of metal by lifting it out of the skin with forceps. I doubt that it penetrated more than 3 or 4 mm. It did not require probing to find it, did not require any anesthesia to remove it, and did not require any sutures to close the wound.

The wound was covered with a bandaid.

Not [sic] other injuries were reported and I do not recall that there was any reported damage to the boat...."

Complete story at: http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200405041626.asp

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me..... :(
Let's list Kerry's medals. Silver Cross, Bronze Star, 3 Purple Hearts. One of those Purple Hearts is in question. BTW, the nature of the wound is not relevant in getting a Purple Heart, it's more the valor in which you received the wound. But I digress. The Silver Cross and Bronze Star are higher awards than a Purple Heart. There is no evidence to even claim that he didn't earn them. Nor is there evidence to support that the other 2 Purple Hearts were not earned. So even if Kerry didn't deserve one of his Purple Hearts we are still left with a man who was awarded the Silver Cross, Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts. Stills sounds like a war hero to me.

Get over it. This attempt at attacking his military service is just plain sad.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kermit said:
Let's list Kerry's medals. Silver Cross, Bronze Star, 3 Purple Hearts. One of those Purple Hearts is in question. BTW, the nature of the wound is not relevant in getting a Purple Heart, it's more the valor in which you received the wound. But I digress. The Silver Cross and Bronze Star are higher awards than a Purple Heart. There is no evidence to even claim that he didn't earn them. Nor is there evidence to support that the other 2 Purple Hearts were not earned. So even if Kerry didn't deserve one of his Purple Hearts we are still left with a man who was awarded the Silver Cross, Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts. Stills sounds like a war hero to me.

First, perhaps you should try getting "over it" yourself. :) Kerry started this kind of attack on George Bush's record so Kerry is fair game too.... I know his fans think that's 'oh so wrong,' but, sadly, that's life.

Yes, I'm quite curious to know more about his awards.... this is just the first story to break regarding one of his medals... surely you don't mean we should be sweeping the truth under a rug, do you? :scratch:

I do wonder if he's father, a U.S. Senator, had anything to do with his 'awards'..... things that make you go "hmmmmm..."

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
kermit said:

Less than four months "in country", A Purple Heart received when all but Kerry state there was no firefight engagement with the enemy when he received his "band-aid wound according to the doctor that treated him, betraying and lying in front of congress concerning the nature and scope of "alleged Vietnam Vet atrocities , throwing away medals an/or ribbons (Kerry isn't quite clear on which it was or whose medals they were). His appearance before congress in 1971, ushered in his political career.

War hero, you are not, Mr. Kerry.

"We have 19 of 23 officers who served with [Kerry]. We have every commanding officer he ever had in Vietnam. They all signed a letter that says he is unfit to be commander-in-chief," O'Neill said.

Remainder of article: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200405/SPE20040503a.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jeremiah the Bullfrog said:
Heh/ This is still the same John Kerry that used to think that the Viet Nam war should not be an issue. :p I guess things change. ;)

Anyone hungry for some waffles? ;)

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gunny said:
Less than four months "in country", A Purple Heart received when all but Kerry state there was no firefight engagement with the enemy when he received his "band-aid wound according to the doctor that treated him, betraying and lying in front of congress concerning the nature and scope of "alleged Vietnam Vet atrocities , throwing away medals an/or ribbons (Kerry isn't quite clear on which it was or whose medals they were). His appearance before congress in 1971, ushered in his political career.

War hero, you are not, Mr. Kerry.

"We have 19 of 23 officers who served with [Kerry]. We have every commanding officer he ever had in Vietnam. They all signed a letter that says he is unfit to be commander-in-chief," O'Neill said.

Remainder of article: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200405/SPE20040503a.html
There are two eyewitness accounts (not including Kerry's) of that firefight that supposedly never happened. Just because there's no record of it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Remember this is the same military that lost payroll records for 4 months to GWB.

Upvote 0