• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Kentucky Republicans Worried Inviting AOC to Meet with Coal Miners Might Backfire

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by tulc, Apr 20, 2019.

1. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+12,885
    Christian
    Married
    Kentucky Republicans Worried Inviting AOC to Meet with Coal Miners Might Backfire
    tulc(thought the rest of the article was very interesting) :wave:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Mystery Worshipper Supporter

+8,929
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Of course he feels threatened because he wants to keep people like AOC "othered", it's part of his fear-mongering strategy, instead of dealing realistically with climate change.

3. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+4,552
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I don't see what he's worried about. After all, the republicans have done such a great job for people in coal-mining areas... WFTH-I

4. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,433
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    That letter has me so confused. He calls her out for saying that another congressperson should do something about domestic terrorism and then goes on a tangent about him being a marine wounded in combat, which has nothing to do with DOMESTIC terrorism.

5. The Barbarian

+4,552
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yeah, I think Barr never expected the lady to accept his invitation, and is grasping at any excuse to keep his constituents from hearing her.

He's defending Crenshaw, who engaged in exactly the same sort of incivility against a fellow House member, that he accuses Ocasio-Ortiz of doing with Crenshaw. I suppose it sticks in his craw, being reminded that right-wing terrorism has become the major source of terrorism deaths in America, but it's very obvious that he is having second thoughts about her coming to his district.

The invitation was likely just empty rhetoric; who would have expected her to agree to come and speak with the people of that district?

6. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,433
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I have no idea how accurate it is, but I recently saw a meme claiming that it turns out there are no coal mines in his district for her to visit.

7. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,475
    Methodist

Unlike "The Donald" and many od his surrogates, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez does not come from a background of wealth, privilege and entitlement - she also represents a "hard-scrabble" district of New York of blue-collar workers!

Based on her life experiences, AOC probably has far more in common with the coal-miners of Kentucky than her Republican counterparts!

8. The Barbarian

+4,552
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The republican party seems to have completely accepted Trump's idea of truth as a reflection of whatever you want people to believe.

9. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,709
    Christian
    Married
    I think the coal miners have been told something along the same lines as she mentioned in many years past already. I mean how many years now have I heard politicians claiming they were going to bring 'replacement' jobs into those areas - not just Kentucky? Forever. It's not likely she would get the pensions for them - that she spoke of either. If that was possible? It would have happened years ago. lol like when they needed to survive then too.

I'm not sure what good her visit would do, but I'd tell her to go anyway.

10. The Barbarian

+4,552
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    She'd be willing to listen, I think. And truth is, she actually cares for people who disadvantaged.

Could she help them? I don't know. But unlike Trump, she would try.