Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My interpretation of that is that it's talking about how the Sabbath is a holy day and sanctified from the beginning of creation. God sanctified the Sabbath. Israelite's were commanded there to be holy on that day, for it is a holy day.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
in giving the sabbath command God said:

Exodus 20:8(KJV)
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

the verse implies that the COI was already keeping God's sabbath.

This is the first time the Sabbath was taught to Israel:

Exo 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
Exo 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exo 16:27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.
Exo 16:28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
Exo 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
Exo 16:30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

If they kept the Sabbath before this then Moses would not have to tell them what to do and not do on the Sabbath. This was clearly a new thing to Israel.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Israelite's were commanded there to be holy on that day, for it is a holy day.

YHWH told them to be holy every day of their lives, and showed them how to, just as Y'SHUA did for the disciples.

as YHWH(GOD) SAID "You must be holy, because I AM HOLY"... (see various translations if you like).
and Y'SHUA (GOD) SAID "You must be perfect, because your heavenly FATHER is perfect.".
and Y'SHUA SAID "I know you (disciples) don't know how; come to ME and learn from ME and I will show you how.".

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
YHWH told them to be holy every day of their lives, and showed them how to, just as Y'SHUA did for the disciples.

as YHWH(GOD) SAID "You must be holy, because I AM HOLY"... (see various translations if you like).
and Y'SHUA (GOD) SAID "You must be perfect, because your heavenly FATHER is perfect.".
and Y'SHUA SAID "I know you (disciples) don't know how; come to ME and learn from ME and I will show you how.".
Yes, I meant be holy via keeping the laws of the Sabbath. I didn't mean to imply they were not to be holy other days.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, I meant be holy via keeping the laws of the Sabbath. I didn't mean to imply they were not to be holy other days.
Okay, thanks, and >>

since the strangers and foreigners and animals
all were required by TORAH
to honor YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH
did
the stranger's and foreigners and animals
become holy also ?
For instance, even an unrepentant sinner could honor YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH,
like the scribes and pharisees did who opposed Y'SHUA,
yet I don't believe Y'SHUA said those scribes and pharisees were holy, did HE ?

YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH was HOLY. Not all the people who honored HIM, right or other ?

((WONDERFUL THOUGHT _ the LAND too !
I think the LAND was to rest either on YHWH'S SEVENTH DAY SABBATH, and/ or every seven years for a year; then every 50th year as JUBILEE(FREEDOM FROM ALL DEBT! ) ))
Not sure this is all pertaining to the same,
but it sure is WONDERFUL ! :)

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Okay, thanks, and >>

since the strangers and foreigners and animals
all were required by TORAH
to honor YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH
did
the stranger's and foreigners and animals
become holy also ?
For instance, even an unrepentant sinner could honor YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH,
like the scribes and pharisees did who opposed Y'SHUA,
yet I don't believe Y'SHUA said those scribes and pharisees were holy, did HE ?

YHWH'S 7th DAY SABBATH was HOLY. Not all the people who honored HIM, right or other ?
The day itself is holy, whether people keep it holy or not, the day's holiness still stands because God has sanctified it for all eternity.

Those who did right in God's eyes on the Sabbath were being holy in his sight. The Pharisees and scribes probably weren't keeping it holy, as they were adding commandments onto it and taking away from the rest. The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Mark 2:27

So they were not truly honoring Him or His Sabbath, as their hearts were far from Him and the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
IF they remembered
AFTER 400 some years
IN SLAVERY.
(several generations)

There is nothing to suggest any Israelite knew of the Sabbath before the verses I posted.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

Exo 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
Exo 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exo 16:27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.
Exo 16:28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
Exo 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

If they kept the Sabbath before this then Moses would not have to tell them what to do and not do on the Sabbath. This was clearly a new thing to Israel.
There is indication that they knew of the laws, sort of kept them because the Lord asked Moses in 16:28 "How long refuse ye to keep...etc".. and it was given the title "Remember"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is indication that they knew of the laws, sort of kept them because the Lord asked Moses in 16:28 "How long refuse ye to keep...etc".. and it was given the title "Remember"

That's clearly related to the prior verse contextually:

They are told to REMEMBER what Moses just told to them yet they forgot it pretty fast.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

but when was the day, itself, made holy?

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
So why would the Israelites make any connections or even relate to this comment from God unless they are familiar with it.

Ex 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
but when was the day, itself, made holy?

Well obviously on the first one but there is no evidence man know of it until Exodus 16 when Moses told Israel about it. Many scholars believe Moses wrote Genesis...either way, I don't believe Genesis existed until long after Israel left Egypt.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So why would the Israelites make any connections or even relate to this comment from God unless they are familiar with it.

Ex 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning

?

All it says is Moses told them about the Sabbath. Nothing here implies any previous knowledge in fact it is evidence it is the first time they hear of it and get the rules of it etc...and some break it right away anyways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
?

All it says is Moses told them about the Sabbath. Nothing here implies any previous knowledge in fact it is evidence it is the first time they hear of it and get the rules of it etc...and some break it right away anyways.
The Bible Ten Commandments are God's eternal moral law. It's what His Heavenly government is based on and all the created beings are subject to the laws of His Kingdom.

How do I get this from the Bible you ask? There are a number of verses that to me, prove that the Ten Commandments were in existence not only before Sinai, but even before this world was created.

Let's face it, if God didn't have a law in Heaven, then Satan would not have fallen, because he would not have been subject to any rules, for "where there is no law, there is no transgression"

Satan was the"covering cherub". What did He cover? The mercy seat of God. And what was beneath the mercy seat of God? THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

How do we know that the Ten Commandments are there and were there before Sinai? Because when God told Moses to construct the tabernacle with the most holy place that contained the mercy seat and The Ten Commandments, it was a copy of the one already in Heaven.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well obviously on the first one but there is no evidence man know of it until Exodus 16 when Moses told Israel about it. Many scholars believe Moses wrote Genesis...either way, I don't believe Genesis existed until long after Israel left Egypt.
you posted the verse:

"To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD"

it's specifically designated "the holy sabbath", meaning it was already holy when given!

it's a fact moses gives us in the verse, that the day was holy unto the LORD but it doesn't address the "when"!

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How do I get this from the Bible you ask? There are a number of verses that to me, prove that the Ten Commandments were in existence not only before Sinai, but even before this world was created.

Well, let's see some of those verses.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Abraham knew them and kept them..

Gen.26:5. because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.

Can you post a verse that lists what laws and etc he kept?

Upvote 0