Keep "The Passion" alive!

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
I am going to this film every week that it is still in the theaters, God willing.

Why? First of all, because meditating on the Passion of Christ is a marvelous way to grow in the love of God. The humanity of Christ is the window to the Divinity, for through the passion of the Son of God we see His love for us. Many, many saints have testified to this fact.

Secondly, this movie is partially a referendum on the kind of films we Christians want to see and are willing to pay for. Since I am from Chicago I understand the need to "vote early and vote often."

Thirdly, it is a very efficient way to send money to Gibson's Icon Productions so that he will give us many more movies in the same vein.

At this point, I've seen it twice and must say that the second time around was a much richer experience.

We'd be crazy to let this film out of the theaters. In the culture wars this is the ultimate weapon, like a crucifix held up to a vampire :)

Gutierrez

Darth Bilbo
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
✟151.00
Faith
Calvinist
groundhog said:
Why should I send more money to a man that believes I, as a non-Catholic, am going to hell?

Good question. I'm not sure if Gibson actually believes that. Maybe, maybe not, but the disparity between Roman Catholic teaching on Justification and the doctrine of Faith Alone is so wide that it's a wonder to me that so many Protestant "leaders" have given their enthusiastic and unqualified stamp of approval to the movie. It's rather sad and telling, if you ask me.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Tangnefedd said:
Thirdly, it is a very efficient way to send money to Gibson's Icon Productions so that he will give us many more movies in the same vein.
I can think of many better causes on which to spend my money than on a third rate violent film!

Well, that's too bad, because I believe that the film will prove a defining point in our Christian history! And you will have missed out because you wrongly thought it a third rate (where'd you get that), violent (and you didn't see Kill Bill or Halloween, etc) movie. I feel sorry for you!

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
newlamb said:
Well, that's too bad, because I believe that the film will prove a defining point in our Christian history! And you will have missed out because you wrongly thought it a third rate (where'd you get that), violent (and you didn't see Kill Bill or Halloween, etc) movie. I feel sorry for you!

I'm constantly amazed at what people read into A MOVIE! It's not the first movie to be made about Jesus and it won't be the last, it was just the most commercial one to date.

There is no need to feel sorry for someone who dosn't share your taste in entertainment (thats what a movie is btw)...different strokes and all that...and fyi, people concerned with the violence are usually just sensitive to the more realistic aspects (such as those depicting medical procedures or people being tortured) and that is in a different class than the cartoon type violence in most action flicks.

On the other hand, I'm glad christians have found something they can rally around and get excited about. I'm just suprised it took a movie to do it.

Upvote 0

Douglaangu

Dance Commander
Sep 1, 2002
Visit site
✟15,542.00
Faith
Atheist
newlamb said:
Well, that's too bad, because I believe that the film will prove a defining point in our Christian history! And you will have missed out because you wrongly thought it a third rate (where'd you get that),
For me it was the pointless attempts at being dramatic and 'arty'. Like the halfspeed shots.
violent (and you didn't see Kill Bill or Halloween, etc) movie. I feel sorry for you!
Hmm, I think I addressed this point a couple of weeks back.
Anyway, the violence in Kill Bill is over the top. Hell, when someone has their arm removed you DO NOT get 5 foot jets of blood squirting out for several minutes.
It, unlike The Passion is not an accurate depiction of violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
groundhog said:
And I feel sorry for the hungry people who live on the street who are being denied a meal because you would rather spend your money to see the same movie several times, when that money could be better spent actually doing something that Jesus wanted us to do.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I laugh when I see people screaming "Oh the VIOLENCE!!!" after I have seen the likes of Freddy vs. Jason. They aren't even in the same league.

Further, this movie was anything but third rate. This was a far better production and far better directed than any flick I've seen in the recent past. There is no question Mel Gibson has the talent to direct.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
drfeelgood said:
Further, this movie was anything but third rate. This was a far better production and far better directed than any flick I've seen in the recent past. There is no question Mel Gibson has the talent to direct.

Of course, I agree with you, dr. Third rate - and that review is from someone who has not seen it. Well, I wish I did have shares in it because I would be rich now. Rather, it appears that some people fear the convicting power of the movie. Too bad! :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟11,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ummm....I think the producers decided that you were evil if you don't pay $8 to see this service, oops I mean movie.

Hey, I remember the same thing happened when E.T. came out, if you didn't go see it, no one would talk to you because you were just to wierd to be worth talking to.

Well ironically, intead of watching the Passion I was watching a trailer for a movie called "Saved" which is a black comedy about a Christian High School (I particularly like the peer exorcism of demon possession scene). I only bring this up because while I was blissfully unaware that culture is at war (I assume that is Christian culture with......everyone else?) I guess I must be losing - or is it Christianity that is losing and I am on the winning side by not watching the Passion? I get so confused.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
mpshiel said:
Well ironically, intead of watching the Passion I was watching a trailer for a movie called "Saved" which is a black comedy about a Christian High School (I particularly like the peer exorcism of demon possession scene). I only bring this up because while I was blissfully unaware that culture is at war (I assume that is Christian culture with......everyone else?) I guess I must be losing - or is it Christianity that is losing and I am on the winning side by not watching the Passion? I get so confused.

I heard about that movie! I love a good black comedy :D

Truthfully, most of the people I know who were so excited about The Passion have moved on now. Thats not a knock on the movie at all, just putting it into perspective. I'm sure some people will see it over and over and it will make a killing when it goes to dvd but people shouldnt depend on a movie to keep their own 'passion' going, there are plenty of other worth while things to do that are more important.

Upvote 0

Valkyr

Dynamic Equilibrium
Nov 16, 2003
Boston, MA
✟15,362.00
it is a very efficient way to send money to Gibson's Icon Productions so that he will give us many more movies in the same vein.

Yeah, brilliant. Give all your money to Mel Gibson - that poor needy christian soul. I don't know how he manages to put food on the table with the millions of dollars he makes each year. We should all definitely see this movie as many times as humanly possible - otherwise poor, afflicted Mel Gibson might be thrown out onto the streets with the pagan riff-raff.

Upvote 0