Los Angeles Area
✟829,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Two stories collided in my head this morning.

Charlie Kirk’s pro-Trump youth group stokes vaccine resistance as covid surges again
Turning Point USA and its affiliates are urging students to resist mandates and spreading baseless claims about ‘medical raids’ as part of a bid for donations

Text messages announcing Kirk as their author warn that President Biden is “sending goons DOOR-TO-DOOR to make you take a covid-19 vaccine.” Facebook ads from Kirk’s tax-exempt nonprofit insist the government has “NO RIGHT to force you to inject yourself with an experimental vaccine,” and say the best response to outreach about the shots is to, “LOCK YOUR DOORS, KIDS!!”

These [and other] statements stand on a slew of falsehoods and mischaracterizations, according to vaccine experts.

The messages from his group stand out especially now because they’re discordant with a chorus of establishment GOP voices speaking with new urgency in favor of immunization, as the delta variant strikes hardest in red states.

The gulf between the message offered by Kirk and the one delivered by many elected Republicans arises from their distinct incentives, said Patrick Ruffini, a GOP pollster and partner at Echelon Insights. Elected officials “will be held accountable by voters if a covid surge happens on their watch,” he said, while activist groups may seek to mobilize supporters to donate by focusing on divisive issues like vaccine mandates.

Arizona’s GOP-backed ballot review has raised more than $5.7 million in private donations, organizers say

A private contractor conducting a Republican-commissioned review of 2020 presidential ballots in Arizona’s largest county announced late Wednesday that it has collected more than $5.7 million in private donations to fund the process.

The controversial ballot review, which included a hand recount of Maricopa County’s nearly 2.1 million ballots and a review of ballot tabulating machines, has been underway since April. It was ordered by the state’s Republican-led Senate, which agreed to spend $150,000 in taxpayer money to fund the audit. But the Senate allowed Cyber Ninjas, a Florida-based firm hired to lead the process, to collect donations as well.

Trump’s political PAC raised about $75 million in the first half of this year, using his false claims that the election was stolen to motivate donors, but has given no money to finance the Arizona ballot review.

--

To this we could also add the Build the Wall fiasco/fraud.

Now, although it was fraud, it doesn't really do anyone much harm if they feel a burst of pleasure when they donate their hard-earned money to help buy Brian Kolfage a yacht and build one and a quarter inches of wall.

But these other grifts are eroding the nation's health and political system.

The facts are that the vaccine is safe and effective. The facts are that the current state of the flare-ups correlate with the unvaccinated population. The facts are that the unvaccinated make up half the population, but nearly 100% of the hospitalizations and deaths. The facts are that politicians of both parties from Trump and Biden on down are encouraging people to get vaccinated.

The facts are that Joe Biden won Arizona. The facts are that counting the ballots all over again is going to get the same result. The facts are that this investigation can't uncover the kinds of fraud people are fantasizing about. The facts are that this third look at the ballots was entirely unnecessary. No one should have paid for it. Not the AZ senate, and not the private donors. Donald Trump may talk about Arizona's election investigation -- at his own rallies for soliciting donations -- but the facts are that he has not put up any of his own money for this meaningless effort.

--

Obviously, this advice is just as true for causes on the left. As I advised someone about BLM, don't give them any money until they have more of a proven track record of activism. Like 'Occupy Wall Street', these unorganized leaderless organizations are hard to assess.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Charlie Kirk also called Simone Biles a sociopath for backing out of some of her events over health concerns.

Why does conservative media seem to love college drop-outs with no professional experience beyond getting paid to make people angry? Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Candace Owens, Charlie Kirk... Tomi Lahren wasn't a dropout, but she was given an OANN show straight out of college.

None of them have done anything besides yap into a microphone. Yet their opinions are so highly valued and compensated.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think that those organisations deserve the fullest support.

What people should fund is research into un-vaccinating the poor, deluded masses who have taken the shot that prevents evolution from taking it's course.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How does a person just not have a conscience?

That's the thing I think I find most baffling about the Charlie Kirks, the Tucker Carlsons, and the Sean Hannitys of the world.

Money is nice, but my soul ain't for sale, so I guess I'm just gonna have to keep living being confused and baffled by this.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

That's the thing I think I find most baffling about the Charlie Kirks, the Tucker Carlsons, and the Sean Hannitys of the world.

Money is nice, but my soul ain't for sale, so I guess I'm just gonna have to keep living being confused and baffled by this.

-CryptoLutheran

I struggle to figure out where these folks fall on the spectrum between True Believer and Disingenuous Cynic. I suspect many of them start out somewhere near wink-and-a-nod cynics, poking their audience with stuff that's only a little over the top and, over time, moving towards True Believers more extreme than where they started.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I've wondered the same about the Rachel Maddows, Chris Cuomos and Don Lemons of the world. It's a real head scratcher!

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I struggle to figure out where these folks fall on the spectrum between True Believer and Disingenuous Cynic. I suspect many of them start out somewhere near wink-and-a-nod cynics, poking their audience with stuff that's only a little over the top and, over time, moving towards True Believers more extreme than where they started.

I suppose it is the curse of the shock jockey. You have to be a bit more extreme over time as the effect on the audience wears off. If these pedlars say something even slightly moderate their followers could abandon them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've wondered the same about the Rachel Maddows, Chris Cuomos and Don Lemons of the world. It's a real head scratcher!

I can't speak about those, as I've never really paid much attention to them.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Well wonder no more, and give your itchy head a rest.
Maddow holds a bachelor's degree in public policy from Stanford University and a doctorate in political science from Oxford University

Cuomo was educated at Immaculate Conception School in Jamaica, Queens,[8] and at The Albany Academy, a private university preparatory day school in Albany, New York, followed by Yale University, where he earned an undergraduate degree, and the Fordham University School of Law, where he earned his Juris Doctor in 1995. He is a licensed attorney

Lemon attended Louisiana State University and graduated from Brooklyn College in 1996, majoring in broadcast journalism.

And for comparison
In 2015, Kirk told The Atlantic that he was taking part-time online classes at The King's College,[7] and he was taking classes at Harper College, a community college near Chicago, but in 2015 dropped out to pursue conservative activism.[14]

Hannity attended Sacred Heart Seminary in Hempstead, New York[14] and St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary in Uniondale, New York.[16] He attended New York University and Adelphi University, but did not graduate from either.[14]

Carlson was briefly enrolled at Collège du Léman, a boarding school in Switzerland, but says he was "kicked out".[47] He attained his secondary education at St. George's School, a boarding school in Middletown, Rhode Island, where he started dating his future wife, Susan Andrews, the headmaster's daughter.[48] He then went to Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, graduating in 1991 with a BA in history.[27] Carlson's Trinity yearbook describes him as a member of the "Dan White Society", an apparent reference to the American political assassin who murdered San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk.[49][50][51] After college, Carlson tried to join the Central Intelligence Agency, but his application was denied, after which he decided to pursue a career in journalism with the encouragement of his father, who advised him that "they'll take anybody."[27][52]

Upvote 0