Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I am not afraid of suffering,” says Catholic karate Olympian Tom Scott. “It will bring me closer to God if I let it.”

Just over a month before the Tokyo Olympics, karateka Tom Scott suffered the disappointment of a lifetime.

The 31-year-old Texan did not qualify for the Olympics, only barely missing what could be his one shot at the competition. Though 2021 is the first year karate is an Olympic sport, its status is still uncertain going forward.

Scott lamented the loss in an Instagram post, saying, “It’s a crazy feeling to have been that close, that many times. … If this doesn’t break me then I am pretty sure nothing will for the rest of my life.”

But he also leaned into the grace of God that his Catholic faith taught him to rely on. Despite his disappointment, he chose to trust that the loss was part of God’s plan.

“Therefore that is what this one was meant for,” he continued. “I refuse to live in jealousy and I will not give in to anger.”

The post concluded: “I am not afraid of suffering. It will bring me closer to God if I let it. That is very much still exciting enough for me.”

But then, everything turned around. One of the athletes who qualified ahead of him was disqualified on doping charges, and the spot was offered to Scott. He once again turned to God with thanksgiving, and joyfully announced the news in a July 4 Instagram post.

Continued below.
Karate Olympian Thanks God for His ‘Resurrected’ Chances