loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kamala Critics Are Going Back to the Birther Playbook
A historic candidate of color appears on a national ticket and the Default Twitter Avatar People go wild sharing all the reasons they think that candidate is secretly foreign born and, thus, ineligible for high office. Sound familiar? The birthers are back, posting their claims about where Kamala Harris was born and what her parents’ background really was.
tulc(and as if by magic: the head birthers birther troops are back at it)

Reactions: FreeinChrist

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see this getting any real traction...

Although her time in childhood in Canada might get a little. But I still doubt it.

It's about the centrist vote and "get out the vote campaigns".
Those tell more than anything.

The Dems need about 5 times the money to get out voters than republicans...

Republicans mostly have cars. Democrats don't. The retirement home vote will matter even though they have been decimated by Covid.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They made sure Harris was eligible to become president when she jumped into the presidential nomination.

You can bet her enemies would've jumped all over the issue if there was even a hint that she wasn't born in the USA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

This is a legitimate legal argument that has been debated in law schools for decades. Is an anchor baby, born in the US to parents who are not Americans "subject to the laws thereof" pursuant to the 14th amendment. The Courts have never actually answered the question. I believe they have with regards to the children of diplomats, ruling they are not "subject to the laws thereof" but not in situations like Harris. That Trump notes Prof. Eastman's argument before saying he assumes the Democrats looked into the issue makes this a total non-story.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is a legitimate legal argument that has been debated in law schools for decades. Is an anchor baby, born in the US to parents who are not Americans "subject to the laws thereof" pursuant to the 14th amendment. The Courts have never actually answered the question. I believe they have with regards to the children of diplomats, ruling they are not "subject to the laws thereof" but not in situations like Harris. That Trump notes Prof. Eastman's argument before saying he assumes the Democrats looked into the issue makes this a total non-story.
The debate seems to be over undocumented immigrants. United States v. Wong Kim Ark is normally considered to answer the question for people here legally. That decision makes the following exceptions (from the Wikipedia article): "excluding only those who were born to foreign rulers or diplomats, born on foreign public ships, or born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory." The decision probably also applies to children of undocumented immigrants, but recently there have been disputes.

The original decision also excepted Indian tribes not taxed. That exception has been removed by later actions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The debate seems to be over undocumented immigrants. United States v. Wong Kim Ark is normally considered to answer the question for people here legally. That decision makes exceptions for children of diplomats on the grounds that they are not subject to our laws. The decision probably also applies to children of undocumented immigrants, but recently there have been disputes
It may apply but it's not clear at this time. There's nothing wrong with having a debate on these issues. It's absolutely ridiculous that the media wants to shut down debate not just on this issue but every other issue as well. There's only one acceptable view of Coronavirus, all others will be mocked or censored. There's only one acceptable view on race, all others will be called racist regardless of whether they are. This country is in bad need of a robust debate and we aren't getting it.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
How did you miss Wong King Ark in law school? Now I will admit that the courts have never settled what exactly being a "natural born citizen" means, but my understanding is that the consensus is that being born in the US counts.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How did you miss Wong King Ark in law school? Now I will admit that the courts have never settled what exactly being a "natural born citizen" means, but my understanding is that the consensus is that being born in the US counts.
I agree that is the consensus but that doesn't mean it's the law. That also doesn't mean there isn't an ongoing debate about the issue within the halls of law schools and probably more specifically in law reviews and other journals. Law can be a fluid thing, today's consensus is tomorrow's overturned law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The article says "The birthers are back, posting their claims about where Kamala Harris was born" yet the article doesn't give any examples of that. They do however go on to say "anchor baby" but that has nothing to do with being born anywhere other than here.

I haven't seen any posts or articles saying she wasn't born here. Sounds like click bait.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree that is the consensus but that doesn't mean it's the law. That also doesn't mean there isn't an ongoing debate about the issue within the halls of law schools and probably more specifically in law reviews and other journals. Law can be a fluid thing, today's consensus is tomorrow's overturned law.
That's true, but I'd be surprised if the natural born citizen clause is ever decided by a court. If nothing else, standing is going to be a tough obstacle to get past.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's true, but I'd be surprised if the natural born citizen clause is ever decided by a court. If nothing else, standing is going to be a tough obstacle to get past.
I agree, I would think the Courts would stay as far from this issue as they can.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It may apply but it's not clear at this time. There's nothing wrong with having a debate on these issues. It's absolutely ridiculous that the media wants to shut down debate not just on this issue but every other issue as well. There's only one acceptable view of Coronavirus, all others will be mocked or censored. There's only one acceptable view on race, all others will be called racist regardless of whether they are. This country is in bad need of a robust debate and we aren't getting it.

When conservatives start applying these concerns equally and not just to non-white liberals, then I might start believing that their concerns are really about the constitution and not merely about employing racism to win elections.

• Agree
Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0