Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, so the people who are being oppressed are "hijacking" the conversation by demanding to be heard.
I'm still trying to figure out who's doing the oppressing. The government and business seem to be united in making it as easy as possible for black people, and to a lesser extent, Latinos, to succeed. The complaint that cops arrest more blacks is unfortunately easy to explain, blacks commit more crimes. That's a sad fact, but a fact all the same. The solution may be to not arrest anyone at all, but I am fairly sure that is an idea that wouldn't play out well. (If I were suggest a quick way to stop arresting so many black people, it would be to legalize the sale and possesion of drugs - any drugs. But that's another discussion altogether.) Apart from that I see no basis for the charges of "systemic racism" that are driving the wholsesale pro-forma breast-beating and virture signalling that is well-nigh universal now.

Yes, I can see why that might not sit well with the people who are uncomfortable having the conversation.
Some of us are all too willing to have the conversation, but our opinions aren't appreciated, and generally shouted down. The fact that "oppression" seems to be stratified along cultural lines that are only coincidentally racial are studiously ignored. Lotta variables there besides skin color or ethnicity, but making note of that fact makes one a racist Nazi homophobe pedophile sexist whatever, who need only be answered by abuse and insult. (Have you noticed the astonishing increase in Black "White Supremacists", ie., African Americans who have the temerity to differ with the opinions that they're supposed to have?, or who in one candidate's terms "ain't Black"?)

It's honestly not even that shocking that you are literally making my point for me, you just happen to support the oppressor class rather than the oppressed
Not sure where I land in that economy. Son of poor working class Southern rednecks and far-from-wealthy first generation Asian immigrants. Never side had the opportunity to oppress anyone even if they'd had the time and inclination. Class advantages? None. Prejudice against us, some, although we got to ignore the "White Only" signs I remember friom stores, and not being required to use the Colored Rest Room. Taught to "sir" and "ma'am" all adults regardless of color, and bow if they were Asian. Taught how to behave, how to show respect, how to work, how not to embarass the family. Misbehavior wasn't tolerated, disobedience was well-nigh unthinkable. We all grew up, got married (and for the most part stayed that way), had kids, put them through school, all without significant drama. I was the only member of my family who was ever arrested, for 120 mph in a 55 zone. (OK, not entirely true. I was stopped one evening, cuffed, put on the ground (that gravel on the shoulder of the road is wet and nasty and really uncomfortable) and laid there comtemplating what I might have done to bring down the wrath of so many of Nashville's finest on me. Turned out the store down the road had just been robbed by a white male, average height, short dark hair, glasses, late model white Chevrolet, no tag number. Guess who met the description (well, almost)? They quickly figured out I had no gun, no money, wasn 't white, had just left work, and another officer stopped the real robber a couple of minutes later. They sent sent me on my way with a less then enthusiastic "you're free to go". Thanks, pals!

So the whole "oppressed" and "oppressor class" thing doesn't really connect with me. I'm just not seeing it. I don't think in this day and time that anyone really cares bug all what color anyone else is. White supremacists are a handful of dimwits who couldn't oppress anyone if they had a federal license permitting it. Prejudiced cops? I'm sure they are some. When most of the bad guys you deal with on a daily basis are from one racial groups, you probably get to the point where you think they're all bad by default. But it's hardly a "class" thing IMO. I've been poor and now I'm not, and I don't see it matters that much when I get stopped for a traffic ticket.

Apart from all that, I think "racism" and most of the other "isms" that are commonly flung about these says, are simply political blather. They're simply used to demonize those with whom we disagree so we don't have to compare ideas. Face it, if I respond to your posts with "Very well, VC, I understand that your view of the Trinity is based on your hatred of Asians", your decision to put me on "ignore" may not be solely due to a desire to "avoid the discussion", it may just be a desire to avoid arguments with loonies. <Laugh>

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe in equality.
Equality exists only mathematics. BUT.. we should strive for everyone to be equal iunder the law, if only as a matter of Fair Play.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sometimes (a lot of times) that which is good for an individual person of a specific ethnicity: white, black, asian, willing, Valerian, and I dunno wookie too I guess may not necessarily be good for their entire ethnic group

Oh, absolutely. Optimisation is what it is.

But the balance changes if one has kids. Can they thrive in the same system?

Upvote 0