Justification, sanctification and glorification?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In theology, what covers sanctification, and glorification? Is it all in soteriology?

And how does one make a difference between justification and sanctification?
It depends on who you ask.

Historically, Christians spoke of the entire process of the life of faith. St. Paul for example explained that his efforts in the flesh were to prevent him being disqualified in the end.

Many modern denominations make a distinction between justification (which they count as salvation) and sanctification. I suppose it matters most to those who believe apostatizing/losing salvation is impossible, since for them a different end would be guaranteed already, while others would still be aware that remaining in the grace of God is necessary.

Glorification is the final stage, in any case. We can (and ideally should) begin to be transformed into the image and likeness of Christ, from glory to glory, in this life. But the process cannot be completed or even reach beyond a certain point while still possessing our bodies as they are.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟107,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In theology, what covers sanctification, and glorification? Is it all in soteriology?

One is Justified at salvation.

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

I believe our spirit man is sanctified at salvation because the believer has the spirit within.

Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Thessalonians 5: 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe our soul (mind, intellect)and body are sanctified as we grow in grace and knowledge.

2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

This is how I understand sanctification. Some believe it is a one time event I don’t find that in scripture. God Bless

To me Justification is right standing with God Sanctification is a cleansing, growing process

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends on who you ask.

Historically, Christians spoke of the entire process of the life of faith. St. Paul for example explained that his efforts in the flesh were to prevent him being disqualified in the end.

Many modern denominations make a distinction between justification (which they count as salvation) and sanctification. I suppose it matters most to those who believe apostatizing/losing salvation is impossible, since for them a different end would be guaranteed already, while others would still be aware that remaining in the grace of God is necessary.

Glorification is the final stage, in any case. We can (and ideally should) begin to be transformed into the image and likeness of Christ, from glory to glory, in this life. But the process cannot be completed or even reach beyond a certain point while still possessing our bodies as they are.
Ah, I don't like quoting my own post, but I left something out that could be very misleading about our beliefs.

We (Orthodox) likewise point to an event that begins our life of faith. We would call it conversion. The problem with "justification" is when it is seen as the final stage guaranteeing ultimate salvation, when one has only just begun and could potentially apostatize.

There are different words we use at times for all of these stages. The important distinction for us is that the process of salvation is not fully accomplished until we stand before Christ at the judgement.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Justification would just mean the Lord has given us the right to exist. No one can take that way from us. Sanctification is the process of repentance we experience as we walk with the Lord.

I find the first part of your question confusing. The Lord wants us to repent of our sin. Once we do that, things sort of fall in place, and the other questions don't seem so important.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I don't like quoting my own post, but I left something out that could be very misleading about our beliefs.

We (Orthodox) likewise point to an event that begins our life of faith. We would call it conversion. The problem with "justification" is when it is seen as the final stage guaranteeing ultimate salvation, when one has only just begun and could potentially apostatize.

There are different words we use at times for all of these stages. The important distinction for us is that the process of salvation is not fully accomplished until we stand before Christ at the judgement.
I agree with this. As faith is the point of conversion, it's the foundation and beginning of our justification which is both a one-time act publicly and formally professed at baptism and a life-long work fully realized on judgement day. Justification and sanctification cannot be separated-our daily renewal or sanctification is, in the end, an aspect of our justification.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Justification does not need to be repeated because that is the work of God for our benefit that leaves one in the position of right standing with God. Sanctification is what Catholics call consecration which is an act of self plus God.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Justification does not need to be repeated because that is the work of God for our benefit that leaves one in the position of right standing with God. Sanctification is what Catholics call consecration which is an act of self plus God.
Catholics believe that man cannot possibly be saved without God, and yet that God wants our cooperation in being saved. His purpose isn't to suddenly ignore authentic justice of His wayward creation, but rather to patiently restore it. With justification we're forgiven, washed, cleansed, made new creations with His life imparted into us- which from the beginning is the right and just order of things for man. And from there we're to , 'go, and sin no more'.

But God knows this will be a struggle-and a good struggle. And a struggle we're to increasingly participate in because God desires and seeks a rectified will in us; the purpose is for us to "own" our justice even more, which is what it means to make our "calling and election sure" as we work out our salvation with He who works in us. The Parable of the Talents gives a good account of how this plays out.

Sin
is what separated and continues to separate man from God-it's now to be overcome, but with grace, not on our own (the path Adam set us on), but with God, 'apart from Whom we can do nothing'. Man's here to learn of his uncompromisable need for God, and of God's undeniable worthiness of that relationship. We're simply here to turn, and follow Him, but not without His help that He knows so well our need of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Working it out with fear and trembling is everyone's responsibility and that can only be done by responding to Him.
Yes, this is true, but some say salvation is a done deal at the beginning, when we first believe. In that case we'd be responsible for nothing in regard to salvation, or nothing besides an initial act of faith which itself is a gift, although, even there, a gift we could still reject depending on one's particular theology.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is true, but some say salvation is a done deal at the beginning, when we first believe. In that case we'd be responsible for nothing in regard to salvation, or nothing besides an initial act of faith which itself is a gift, although, even there, a gift we could still reject depending on one's particular theology.
They are wrong.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They are wrong.
I certainly agree with that. Salvation isn't known with 100% certainty until God tells us so at the end, even as a strong level of assurance or confidence is appropriate in this life-depending on how we live it.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

There are 3 stages of sanctification, some say 4 but that concerns the Perfect Age when time is no more with no sin left in the universe. I'll leave this one out, I don't feel it's relevant to the discussion.

The stages are,

Positional Sanctification
Progressive Sanctification
Glorified Sanctification

When one comes to Christ in faith accepting Him as Saviour, that person is justified by God. He is no longer a law-breaker, he is a law-keeper in the eyes of God. God only accepts us on behalf of Christ. This is our Position in Christ, we are now in the family of God. Our Position in Christ is based completely on our faith in what Christ has done for us.

Now that we are in the family of God, we are treated as the Children of God. We have been found not guilty (justified) before God in Christ, which means we have been set apart (sanctified) in Christ. This is the first stage of sanctification, our Position in Christ, in the family of God, set apart from the world to His will.

You have now been called by God, accepted His call, and now positioned in Christ. The Holy Spirit now begins the process of conforming you into the likeness of Christ. This is the second stage of sanctification. This process continues the entirety of your life here on earth. You are being refined throughout your life, becoming more in the likeness of Christ. It's the continuing Progressive sanctification by the Holy Spirit.

All the children of God who have passed before us, from the time of Adam until this very moment, are awaiting the resurrection. This is when the believer both dead and still alive will be changed, "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye." This is when death is swallowed up in victory, the mortal becomes immortal. This is the third stage of sanctification, we will receive gloried bodies as Christ received at His resurrection from the dead. At this point we can no longer sin, we have become perfect in Christ.

It is our faith in the risen Saviour that has brought us to this point. We have done nothing, nor could we do anything to deserve it. It is a free gift from God through faith in His Son.

Upvote 0