Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A good friend of mine, who stands on the 5 pillars, asked me to open a thread on justification... So I am doing so, with the prayer that in it we may sort through some of its features in Traditional Theology...

In this prayer, I am opening it with the two Greek words Paul uses, ( Romans 5:16&18 ) which are both translated as 'justification', and which both have the "δικ-" root, the first pronounced di-kai'-o-ma and the second di-kai-o'-sis. The kai is pronounced, by Greeks, key, and by us more behemothic American types, like me, k+eye. The di- is Greeked with dee, and Americanized with d+if, minus the f... The first is accented on the anti-penultimate syllable, and the second on the penultimate... Both -o-s sound like a good ol' American oh-.

So dee-key'oh-mah and dee-key-oh'-sis IF you want to sound familiar to the Greeks... But then, should you decide to do wo with a Greek speaker, you have to be prepared to deal with their outburst of Greek words in reply, OK?

The first word is normally used to denote the RESULT of an action, and the second, which is closely related, is normally used to refer to the CONDITION of that result in a person or thing... For a plausible anglicized co-equivalent, if you fail to brush your teeth, and the food in your mouth abides and rots, you will have a condition known as halitosis... The SMELL of the rotten food in the Greek would be halitoma...

So for you 5-pointers, this is the thread to deal with the Biblical doctrine of Justification and its place in the Bible in Christian Theology... I just wanted to lay the groundwork a little, and see if anyone other than my friend might be interested...

The Dik- root, of course, literally means right, so justification, understood in THAT light, might and should be more literally be understood as RECTIFICATION...

Enough for the intro!

For a good and easily navigated interliner source online, see: Search for: Romans 5:16-18 - Strong's Interlinear Bible Search - Reference Desk - StudyLight.org

Arsenios

In our theology, Justification comes through faith in the Triune God, but the Sanctification (rectification) is a gift of the Holy Spirit, received as a consequence and a benefit of that faith. Justification and sanctification are two different things, yet linked one to the other.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for this, I will read it, study it, and reply tomorrow.
Good - I was hoping you might join us here...

I mean, it was for you that I opened it! :)

I should warn you ahead of time here, that there is an old salty dog who was invited here to stir up trouble promising to keel-haul those finding any fault whatsoever with his views! Other than him, the place seems fair placid, and without him, I doubt it would be worthwhile at all...

Jes' sayin'! :)

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This may or may not be relevant, but I'm in the middle of reading a book about Saint Teresa of Lisieux, and her theology of love, becoming little, doing works in the strength and love of God, and divine mercy. It's a good read, and kind of ties into this.
I sure loved her name's sake, Mother Theresa of Calcutta... Two events stand out - Her address to the US Congress on abortion, and her reply to an Indian Spiritual Adept in Calcutta who liked her and offered to teach her as his chela how to visit places far away without departing from where you are...

I would be surprised to hear that St. Teresa of Lisieux would have written much on Justification, however... And I could be wrong - She is outside of the Eastern Orthodox Holy Tradition in which I abide...

So if she did, and you think it might help us understand one another better on the matter of Biblical Justification, please do not hesitate...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The mast is currently hanging from the rafters of the pavillion at Wildwood Sailing Club. Seems no one else has the nerve to throw that big a rig on a boat where the club limits boat length to 24' and draft to 40". I was about 30 when I built that boat,

I would say that building it has served you well...

yes, I do believe it was Pete Cullers book!

I think so too... I loved his books, and that was one of them... One of his bigger boats was lost in a squall with loss of life... Some did survive...

BTW, I flew recreationally for a time, had a 46 Aeronca Champ.

I had an old but metal Mooney - Johnson bar retractable gear... Flew it to the Amazon [Iquitos, Peru] and back... Not a bad ride...

As in everything, it always comes down to three kinds of people; doers, watchers and followers.

So can I hold you to this? :)

I need to get things back on topic:

:idea: :oldthumbsup::amen::clap:

I gotta admit, that sentence was funny - Turned me into a rotfl-ing Mao... Keeping things decently nautical... I easily too get wandered off into interesting distractions - Moreso with the passage of years...

Yes, real sailors are a pragmatic sort, but as in anything there are those who, despite having boats in the water, sit on the sidelines; too windy, too calm, don't like the race rules, etc.

Or too old or too many pains... Lin and Larry have hung up their spurs and hang with the once-upon-a-timers and other groupies at the yacht club bars... Helping them with their questions as grand old viziers, no doubt... I would sure listen to them if I were a kid starting out...

You see the same thing in gun shops; I can't get service, because the gun-store groupies are always huddled around the counter, never buying anything, but talking a good game. (to keep the discussion on topic), hence why I have no problem holding the Confessional Lutheran position on Justification.

Certainly no need to re-invent the wheel, yes? Can I hold you to THAT?

Just like the shade tree sailers and the gunshop groupies, people often become mired down in explaining and understanding, rather than accepting, doing and living within the justification so freely offered.

Sounds good to me, but it IS an understanding that is being offered, and perhaps we can explore its meaning and implications a little...

On the water there are natural sailors; there are novices, there are those who never quite get it and will always struggle; but they are "sailing".

And there are the masters - Slocum and the Pardee's, and Dennis Conner, and on and on...

Justification and Sanctification are so intrinsically linked to faith that one can not have faith and not be justified and sanctified.

Personal Faith? Was Cornelius, for instance, on this view, justified and sanctified prior to Baptism?

Much as if we sit in our boat tied to the dock, we never sail.

And in yours, with that monster mast, we get blown over dockside!

If we don't live our faith, we may never realize the joy and peace that comes with the gifts of justification and sanctification.

Roger that!

Dona Nobis Pacem!

Is that the entreaty "Give us Peace"?

God Bless you Brother!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In our theology, Justification comes through faith in the Triune God, but the Sanctification (rectification) is a gift of the Holy Spirit, received as a consequence and a benefit of that faith. Justification and sanctification are two different things, yet linked one to the other.
So you reject the idea that justification and rectification are two words with the same meaning?

I had it figured that the dik- root meant right, as in rect-ification...

Dikaioma and dikaiosis being the words translated as justification...

Do you do Greek word studies?
Most folks wisely avoid them, I should add...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One way of approach might be to look at the difference between justification and sanctification...
I looked up 1 Peter 1:2 usage of sanctification:

Sanctification = agiasmos
Thayer's defines this word as:
  1. consecration, purification
  2. the effect of consecration
    1. sanctification of heart and life
So that for Christians, we can perhaps say that it means one's consecration of self in purity of heart to God...
The problem with this is that it is a human action, not an action of God...

I want to think that Moses coming off the mountain was Sanctified...
He was saturated in the Holy Spirit...
The Israelites could not even gaze upon the beauty of his face...

And all Moses did was obey God and climb the mountain...
His Sanctification came from God...
Or did it?
Was that instead his Glorification BY God?

So then what would be the difference?

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good - I was hoping you might join us here...

I mean, it was for you that I opened it! :)

I should warn you ahead of time here, that there is an old salty dog who was invited here to stir up trouble promising to keel-haul those finding any fault whatsoever with his views! Other than him, the place seems fair placid, and without him, I doubt it would be worthwhile at all...

Jes' sayin'! :)

Arsenios

Thanks for the heads up. I welcome all who want to share their views. I will follow only Scripture though, so I hope he does the same. I bring no ill feelings to anyone. My intent here is to share the Gospel of Paul and not to insult or name call, but to share. I have been doing a lot of research of the Eastern Orthodox religion, so I kinda understand it a bit better now. If I mis-step, please correct my ignorance. And hope you will allow me to correct you if you mis-step about what the Reformed Faith teaches as well? I'm looking forward to this, because I love discussing theology.

God Bless my dear friend.

In Love, not hate!

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the heads up. I welcome all who want to share their views. I will follow only Scripture though, so I hope he does the same. I bring no ill feelings to anyone. My intent here is to share the Gospel of Paul and not to insult or name call, but to share. I have been doing a lot of research of the Eastern Orthodox religion, so I kinda understand it a bit better now. If I mis-step, please correct my ignorance. And hope you will allow me to correct you if you mis-step about what the Reformed Faith teaches as well? I'm looking forward to this, because I love discussing theology.

In Love, not hate!
Too cool -

Salty Dogs are the BEST!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Our sanctification has its origin from God's power at work within us.
But we have our part to play, in the example given to abstain from sexual immorality.
It is God who works in us both to work and do of His own good pleasure, so we should have fear and trembling, this is an awesome and powerful experience to be one of those whom He calls to glory.. Why did Paul discipline his body so that he would not be disqualified? Not in regards to inheriting eternal life, but of future rewards. All believer are sanctified, but there is a matter of degrees regarding sanctification.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
[ Blessing and Admonition ] Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:30
But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

2 Thessalonians 2:13
[ Stand Fast ] But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth,

1 Corinthians 9:27
But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Striving for a Crown
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

In Love, not hate!
Certainly, Paul illuminated the Gospel; but it is not his, it is our Lord, Jesus Christ's Gospel!.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ladodgers6

Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Certainly, Paul illuminated the Gospel; but it is not his, it is our Lord, Jesus Christ's Gospel!.

I love Luther BTW. Yes, the Gospel is a announcement of Christ and His works for the ungodly.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I love Luther BTW. Yes, the Gospel is a announcement of Christ and His works for the ungodly.
Indeed.

Do you know that orthodox Confessional Lutheranism is more at odds with Calvinism than it is with Catholicism? Maybe a good topic for another thread?:)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed.

Do you know that orthodox Confessional Lutheranism is more at odds with Calvinism than it is with Catholicism? Maybe a good topic for another thread?:)
That would be interesting to me - very interesting.

If it's appropriate I wouldn't mind also comparing Orthodoxy, but if it's too much for one thread I can just have my thoughts to myself. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That would be interesting to me - very interesting.

If it's appropriate I wouldn't mind also comparing Orthodoxy, but if it's too much for one thread I can just have my thoughts to myself. :)

Possibly; but maybe separate threads. There is a starting point with the communications between Jeremiah II I think and the Theologians of Tubingen; good article here from the Orthodox perspective, although it implies in a less than subtle way that Lutherans are "heterodox" and eternally heretical.

Be that as it may, some EO Bishops encourage those in formation for the priest-hood to study certain courses at our Sem. Concordia in St. Catherine's; affiliated with Brock University.

The Three Answers of Patriarch Jeremiah II

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Indeed.

But not on Justification by Faith Alone, in Christ Alone!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The meaning of rectification depends upon what you mean by right. I think Paul's use of it was "right with God," i.e. accepted by God. However words sometimes take on special meanings. If you look at the way Paul uses it, it sometimes seems to mean being recognized as right with God. In Rom 4:3, it seems clear that justification is explained as being reckoned as righteous, i.e. in good standing before God.

This is a standard Protestant understanding. But I'd say that for Paul faith speaks not of a bare belief but of an orientation of our lives. So it's parallel with Jesus' concept of being a disciple. As such, both Jesus and Paul are clear that it shows in our lives, and Jesus' followers are accountable for following his teachings.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Like I said before, I Love Luther, he was the reason I became a Reformed Calvinist. I know it sounds odd. Luther convinced you to become a Calvinist? Luther started me off, when I started reading about him, and His Justification by Faith Alone!

Justification by Faith Alone: Martin Luther and Romans 1:17

In this brief clip from Luther and the Reformation, R.C. Sproul describes the moment of awakening Martin Luther had as he read Romans 1:17, “For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, ‘The righteous shall live by faith.’”

He says, “Here in it,” in the gospel, “the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith, as it is written, ‘the just shall live by faith.’” A verse taken from the book of Habakkuk in the Old Testament that is cited three times in the New Testament. As Luther would stop short and say, “What does this mean, that there’s this righteousness that is by faith, and from faith to faith? What does it mean that the righteous shall live by faith?” Which again as I said was the thematic verse for the whole exposition of the gospel that Paul sets forth here in the book of Romans. And so, the lights came on for Luther. And he began to understand that what Paul was speaking of here was a righteousness that God in His grace was making available to those who would receive it passively, not those who would achieve it actively, but that would receive it by faith, and by which a person could be reconciled to a holy and righteous God.

Now there was a linguistic trick that was going on here too. And it was this, that the Latin word for justification that was used at this time in church history was—and it’s the word from which we get the English word justification—the Latin word justificare. And it came from the Roman judicial system. And the term justificare is made up of the word justus, which is justice or righteousness, and the verb, the infinitive facare, which means to make. And so, the Latin fathers understood the doctrine of justification is what happens when God, through the sacraments of the church and elsewhere, make unrighteous people righteous.

But Luther was looking now at the Greek word that was in the New Testament, not the Latin word. The word dikaios, dikaiosune, which didn’t mean to make righteous, but rather to regard as righteous, to count as righteous, to declare as righteous. And this was the moment of awakening for Luther. He said, “You mean, here Paul is not talking about the righteousness by which God Himself is righteous, but a righteousness that God gives freely by His grace to people who don’t have righteousness of their own.”

And so Luther said, “Woa, you mean the righteousness by which I will be saved, is not mine?” It’s what he called a justitia alienum, an alien righteousness; a righteousness that belongs properly to somebody else. It’s a righteousness that is extra nos, outside of us. Namely, the righteousness of Christ. And Luther said, “When I discovered that, I was born again of the Holy Ghost. And the doors of paradise swung open, and I walked through.”

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My friend is a 5 Point Calvinist - A group of folks who stand un-movable in their faith that rests on the 5 Solas they see as efficaciously immovable in their Christian walk and talk... They are some of the most pious folks I know... And one of their basic tenets is "Justification by faith"... And by this, they mean one's personal faith in Christ... They believe that this faith is the bedrock of their saving relationship with Christ... The rest, of course, are more than welcome to enter the discussion... Lutherans, Reformed, Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and searchers...

Arsenios

Sorry dear friend this is incorrect. It's not Faith that saves, but Christ. Christ is the bedrock of the sinner who believes. Faith in the object that saves; namely Christ Jesus.

Justification is an instantaneous legal act of God in which he (1) thinks of our sins as forgiven and Christ’s righteousness as belonging to us, and (2) declares us to be righteous in his sight.
Wayne Grudem Systematic Theology (pg. 723)

Scripture, when it treats of justification by faith, leads us in a very different direction. Turning away our view from our own works, it bids us look only to the mercy of God and the perfection of Christ. The order of justification which it sets before us is this: first, God of his mere gratuitous goodness is pleased to embrace the sinner, in whom he sees nothing that can move him to mercy but wretchedness, because he sees him altogether naked and destitute of good works. He, therefore, seeks the cause of kindness in himself, that thus he may affect the sinner by a sense of his goodness, and induce him, in distrust of his own works, to cast himself entirely upon his mercy for salvation. This is the meaning of faith by which the sinner comes into the possession of salvation, when, according to the doctrine of the Gospel, he perceives that he is reconciled by God; when, by the intercession of Christ, he obtains the pardon of his sins, and is justified; and, though renewed by the Spirit of God, considers that, instead of leaning on his own works, he must look solely to the righteousness which is treasured up for him in Christ.
John Calvin Institutes of the Christian Religion (3.11.16)

The phrase “in him” I have preferred to retain, rather than render it “by him” because it has in my opinion more expressiveness and force. For we are enriched in Christ, inasmuch as we are members of his body, and are engrafted into him: nay more, being made one with him, he makes us share with him in everything that he has received from the Father.
John Calvin Commentary on 1 Corinthians 1:5

Hope this helps?

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not Faith that saves, but Christ.

That is good news for the Calvinists indeed...

Christ is the bedrock of the sinner who believes.
Faith in the object that saves; namely Christ Jesus.

Good! Then all we need is this faith in Jesus Christ...

So that the acquisition of this faith should be the object of all Calvinist Theology, yes?

Justification is an instantaneous legal act of God in which he (1) thinks of our sins as forgiven and Christ’s righteousness as belonging to us, and (2) declares us to be righteous in his sight.
Wayne Grudem Systematic Theology (pg. 723)

This is very problematic scripturally...
Where in Scripture does God take legal actions?
Where does God in Scripture think of our sins as forgiven?
Where does God in Scripture think of Christ's righteousness as belonging to us?
And where in Scripture does God declare us righteous in His sight?

Assuredly, when God acts, things happen according to His Will...
God's thoughts are recorded as not being our thoughts...
Surely God imparts His Righteousness to the penitent...
And where in Scripture does God declare the unrighteously unrepentant to be righteous in His sight?

Scripture, when it treats of justification by faith, leads us in a very different direction.

Scripture turns us from our old ways? God certainly does, but Scripture?

Turning away our view from our own works, it bids us look only to the mercy of God and the perfection of Christ.

Scripture tells us to repent and be baptized, because the Kingdom of Heaven is here and now, and that it is suffering violence, and that the violent are siezing [the Greek has it "harpooning"] the Kingdom of Heaven by force...

John the Baptist preached this, then upon his death Christ preached it, and upon His Death and Resurrection, Peter preached it, all this recorded in Scripture... Before Christ's Ministry, during Christ's Ministry, and then after Christ's Ministry... We are not to passively look away from our deeds and look to the Mercy of God, but to forcibly deny ourselves and then even more forcibly to take up our own cross of suffering and to follow Christ...

The order of justification which it sets before us is this: first, God of His mere Gratuitous Goodness is pleased to embrace the sinner, in whom He sees nothing that can move Him to mercy but wretchedness, because He sees him altogether naked and destitute of good works.

Scripture tells us that those whom God foreknew, these also He Fore-ordained, and whom He fore-ordained He Called, and whom He Called, He justified, and whom He Justified, these also He Glorified... God embraces all who come to Him by repentence... I am sure you have read the Scripture of discipleship - It begins with that magic little Greek word -ei- "IF ANYONE is willing to follow after Me, let him first deny himself, then take up his cross and follow Me..." Christ's own words to you and to me... IF you are willing... [And yes, most translate it as "If anyone desires..." The Greek word is thelei - wills...]

He, therefore, seeks the cause of kindness in himself, that thus he may affect the sinner by a sense of his goodness, and induce him, in distrust of his own works, to cast himself entirely upon his mercy for salvation.

This describes the Calling of God to those He has fore-known and fore-ordained...

This is the meaning of faith by which the sinner comes into the possession of salvation, when, according to the doctrine of the Gospel, he perceives that he is reconciled by God;

It CAN, rarely, be experienced in this way, but normally is not... Normally, the Call of God convicts the person of the error of his manner of life, and calls him to repentance from that error so as to subjugate himself to God...

when, by the intercession of Christ, he obtains the pardon of his sins, and is justified; and, though renewed by the Spirit of God, considers that, instead of leaning on his own works, he must look solely to the righteousness which is treasured up for him in Christ.

And how does Calvin say that one comes to KNOW that his sins are pardoned and that he is justified? Is this a private Spiritual event that the unrepentant can enjoy?

John Calvin
Institutes of the Christian Religion (3.11.16)

Thank-you - That is the first time I have read Calvin..

The phrase “in him” I have preferred to retain, rather than render it “by him” because it has in my opinion more expressiveness and force. For we are enriched in Christ, inasmuch as we are members of his body, and are engrafted into him: nay more, being made one with him, he makes us share with him in everything that he has received from the Father.
John Calvin Commentary on 1 Corinthians 1:5

"...IN HIM..." is the correct translation, irreligious of its so called "more expressiveness and force"... The Greek word is -en- - in or within...
Because we are Baptized INTO Christ, yes?
And it is IN Him that we are enriched...
We are not separate from Him and then get enriched BY Him as separate FROM Him...

Hope this helps?

Very much, thank-you...

I sure wish you might have addressed the issue of the Solas...

I was baptized Presbyterian at age two and a half...
I remember it...

Arsenios

Upvote 0