Justice Dept. announces first felony charges in attempted toppling of Andrew Jackson statue near Whi

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Justice Dept. announces first felony charges in attempted toppling of Andrew Jackson statue near White House

The Justice Department on Saturday announced that four men face felony charges after protesters attempted to tear down a statue of President Andrew Jackson in a park near the White House.

Lee Michael Cantrell, 47, of Virginia; Connor Matthew Judd, 20, of Washington, D.C.; Ryan Lane, 37, of Maryland; and Graham Lloyd, 37, of Maine were charged in federal court with destruction of federal property at Washington’s Lafayette Square on Monday, according to a statement released by the Justice Department.

The statement says the four men were allegedly caught on video camera footage attempting to topple the statue that protesters claim is offensive due to Jackson’s treatment of Native Americans and history of being a slaveowner.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Justice Dept. announces first felony charges in attempted toppling of Andrew Jackson statue near White House

The Justice Department on Saturday announced that four men face felony charges after protesters attempted to tear down a statue of President Andrew Jackson in a park near the White House.

Lee Michael Cantrell, 47, of Virginia; Connor Matthew Judd, 20, of Washington, D.C.; Ryan Lane, 37, of Maryland; and Graham Lloyd, 37, of Maine were charged in federal court with destruction of federal property at Washington’s Lafayette Square on Monday, according to a statement released by the Justice Department.

The statement says the four men were allegedly caught on video camera footage attempting to topple the statue that protesters claim is offensive due to Jackson’s treatment of Native Americans and history of being a slaveowner.
Something for the anarchists to think about.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah they have a huge list now. These guys are good. They tracked one person JUST from the t-shirt they had. One girl from the tat on her hand. WOW! And they had no faces what so ever. And they found them.

See they are doing this.. just not making it known. I think they should.. many want to know they are doing something. But.. SOME Media wont share the truth. Maybe its best not to say anything. Praise GOD.. getting better.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Destroying artwork is not cool...
I don’t think the purpose of statues is to let us admire great sculpture. It’s to exalt our heroes. If statues are in effect political speech, toppling them is also political speech. The Supreme Court’s idea of speech is very broad, so these ideas are perfectly plausible.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe if it was their property. It's not.

True, some destroy others things.

They should go start that at mom's house.
See how that works for them.

M

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think the purpose of statues is to let us admire great sculpture. It’s to exalt our heroes. If statues are in effect political speech, toppling them is also political speech. The Supreme Court’s idea of speech is very broad, so these ideas are perfectly plausible.

Does than mean I get to take it upon myself to take that asinine poem by Emma Lazarus off the Statue of Liberty?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Property rights do not get suspended for political acts. My right to burn a flag is explicitly protected as political speech but I am not free to steal one to do so.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Property rights do not get suspended for political acts. My right to burn a flag is explicitly protected as political speech but I am not free to steal one to do so.
Yup. I'm not arguing the destroying statues is likely to be legal. However we decide what laws to enforce and how. Prioritizing BLM protesters as the President has done is a political decision.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yup. I'm not arguing the destroying statues is likely to be legal. However we decide what laws to enforce and how. Prioritizing BLM protesters as the President has done is a political decision.

You hit the nail on the head. This isn't about art, it's about politics.

Upvote 0