Just realized there was a Visual Arts subforum.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Tried to upload some of my wildlife art but the files are too large. I also get a kick out of cartooning, so here are some cartoons instead:

Attachments

• spiderman3  (2019_03_31 01_38_15 UTC).jpg
    spiderman3 (2019_03_31 01_38_15 UTC).jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wildlife drawings (and other sorts of drawings) can be seen here:

nwaikikai | DeviantArt

Enjoy!

Thanks! I really enjoy the graphite birds. Those are fantastic.

What type of paper are you using? Your whites are very bright, and you have good contrast. Are you doing some post-processing?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I always forget to switch from featured to all with DA. You should consider moving that Elk to the featured!

Do you use any techniques for layout to get the proportions down? My daughter likes graphite drawings and uses a grid method initially.

How long do those take to draw? Must be some serious time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! I really enjoy the graphite birds. Those are fantastic.

What type of paper are you using? Your whites are very bright, and you have good contrast. Are you doing some post-processing?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed my artwork.

Yes, there is some post-processing, increasing contrast on some of the drawings. But only some. Many of them are just as they scanned.

I use Bristol board much of the time now. It's stiff, smooth, and bright. I get great blending of the colored pencils (and graphite) on this type of paper and have less concern about the paper creasing or tearing.

I've thought of using blender fluid on colored pencil drawings, but, so far, burnishing has done the job. I sometimes use pastel pencils to make colors pop a bit. I do this sparingly, though. I've been experimenting with a water-color base layer and then pencil crayon on top to render detail. I really like the result.

There is a bit of the paint-by-number thing that has to happen when drawing light colors first and dark colors last. I don't mark out my zones of color too much, though. I just work carefully as I lay color down.

The eagle drawings took between eight and twelve hours to do. Mainly because of all the feathers. The drawing of the young elk (just the antlers and head) took about four hours. The pen-and-ink samurai drawings took maybe an hour and half each. Size and level of detail always affect time. Maybe that's partly why I like cartoons so much. They are created so quickly!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed my artwork.

Yes, there is some post-processing, increasing contrast on some of the drawings. But only some. Many of them are just as they scanned.

I use Bristol board much of the time now. It's stiff, smooth, and bright. I get great blending of the colored pencils (and graphite) on this type of paper and have less concern about the paper creasing or tearing.

I have seen artists on videos use the Bristol board, but have never tried it. That does explain the brightness, etc. You can get it with different grain? Is there a specific brand or type your use? I might want to pick some up.
I've thought of using blender fluid on colored pencil drawings, but, so far, burnishing has done the job. I sometimes use pastel pencils to make colors pop a bit. I do this sparingly, though. I've been experimenting with a water-color base layer and then pencil crayon on top to render detail. I really like the result.
Have you tried any of the watercolor pencils?

There is a bit of the paint-by-number thing that has to happen when drawing light colors first and dark colors last. I don't mark out my zones of color too much, though. I just work carefully as I lay color down.

The eagle drawings took between eight and twelve hours to do. Mainly because of all the feathers. The drawing of the young elk (just the antlers and head) took about four hours. The pen-and-ink samurai drawings took maybe an hour and half each. Size and level of detail always affect time. Maybe that's partly why I like cartoons so much. They are created so quickly!

Good info. And yes, cartoons can be fun and expressive. A 12 hour drawing may look awesome, but it would be hard to do that too often!

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have seen artists on videos use the Bristol board, but have never tried it. That does explain the brightness, etc. You can get it with different grain? Is there a specific brand or type your use? I might want to pick some up.

I don't think you can find Bristol board with tooth (surface texture). It's why I like to use it. Especially with colored pencil, tooth can make the work seem rather rough. I think most art paper producers make Bristol board. I don't have a favorite.

Have you tried any of the watercolor pencils?

I have. They work very nicely with colored pencils.

Good info. And yes, cartoons can be fun and expressive. A 12 hour drawing may look awesome, but it would be hard to do that too often!

Especially for an impatient artist such as myself.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.